Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM   #41
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

IMHO "The next big thing" is meant to be a discussion about enabling stuff that is not at all possible right now, and not about details on how something would look nicer for some or would be easier to be accomplished for a certain preference of workflow.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #42
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
IMHO "The next big thing" is meant to be a discussion about enabling stuff that is not at all possible right now, and not about details on how something would look nicer for some or would be easier to be accomplished for a certain preference of workflow.

-Michael
I would like to see the Reaper team turn Reaper into more of an engine that people could license. There has been quite a bit of movement toward this with scripting but I would like to see that pushed much further so that Reaper could become the basis of many other products using some sort of licensing arrangement. For example it would be good (from my point of view) for 3rd parties to design a vector-based DAW using the reaper engine, or an algorithmic generative music app, or whatever ...
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #43
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

Happily Reaper - other than any DAW I know of - can be used as an engine working together with user software. We (a friend of mine and I) do this with several (right now just hobby- and evaluation-) projects.

Reaper offers a decent set of APIs usable fort his purpose, including Script, OSC, HTTP-Server, Reaper binary Extension, ...

An especially useful API is provided by Beyond Reaper/Python (Object based Reaper-Script API via OSC / TCP/IP to be easily used by external programs done in Python).

Using Beyond, you in fact could create a complete GUI in Python and have same remote-control the Reaper engine . Supposedly there are certain restrictions that might be able to be mended by enhancing the API ReaScript (and hence Beyond) can access.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-22-2017 at 11:07 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #44
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Happily Reaper - other than any DAW I know of - can be used as an engine working together with user software. We (a friend of mine and I) do this with several (right now just hobby- and evaluation-) projects.

Reaper offers a decent set of APIs usable fort his purpose, including Script, OSC, HTTP-Server, Reaper binary Extension, ...

An especially useful API is provided by Beyond Reaper/Python (Object based Reaper-Script API via OSC / TCP/IP to be easily used by external programs done in Python).

Using Beyond, you in fact could create a complete GUI in Python and have same remote-control the Reaper engine

-Michael
Thanks for that response Michael. That is very interesting. Using the current functionality would it be possible to program something like Numerology http://www.five12.com/hq/N4 for PC, using Reaper as the engine but controlling everything via Beyond so that the user had no idea that Reaper was involved? Or are there still limits to how much access to Reaper there is and how quick that access can be?
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #45
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

I suppose that something like this can be done.

One of the projects we did with "embedded Reaper" is a kind of automatic song contest system using Python software:

- There is a database with predefined singers

- The "box" features two buttons (via Midi). one starts the recording of a song, one stops it.

- Then an automatic "Mastering" is done, creating an mp3, and the mp3 is included in a web-page that is uploaded to a website on a web server, so that the singers and their crew can instantly see and hear their work in the Internet.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 03-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #46
RDBOIS
Human being with feelings
 
RDBOIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: It changes
Posts: 311
Default

This has probably been said, but: DRUMS

Not something small and flimsy, but something great!

I mean Reaper is way up there along side of all the other awesome DAWs, even those used by PROs that cost a fortune... So, why not up the game with one of the most comprehensive Drumming interface?

Some users, like Tod for example (thank you all), have provide some relief, but we need something fully integrated.

Seems to me that Reaper is not only an awesome DAW, but it is part of a revolution of sorts; a way of thinking, a different philosophy/paradigm, something like what Open Source (e.g. Linux) is relative to Mr. Bill (Will I AM = that of the control system) Gates (corral people into a cul-de-sac to prevent emancipation).

Some may say, just buy EasyDrummer and be on your way. But, no! I want to see Reaper kick (pun intended) the ass*s of all these black box money making software/plugin companies. Nothing personal, I wish all the people involved in this line of business good health, but something is brewing beneath the cloak of the depraved capitalist culture; something based on higher values, the need to share, give generously, and help everyone realize their full potential and beauty. Perhaps we'll need to cross a great divide to other side... More on that later.

I consider beauty and the arts as playing a fundamental role in assisting the paradigm change. Something sacred not to be sold to the highest bidder, but co-created and co-assisted. Reaper is NOT FREE, we can donate to our hearts content. In turn, their generosity and distribution values open the door for users to donated their time, skills, and efforts to program JSFX's and others plugins to augment Reaper and help users better create. Such a great thing that I appreciate tremendously. Help me, I help you, we all help each other.

I'm glad that I can listen to the songs you create with Reaper. Some of your creations are spectacular, fun, goofy, awkward, and everything else to satisfy my audio listening needs. I don't need to detail the features of a great Drum plugin; that's easy for those in the know. I just want to hear good drums on your songs, on my songs ")

Dare to dream BIG.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #47
ivan.lt
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 378
Default

UI overhaul? Some things are missing (track locking, themeable everything, ...), some are inconsistent (mouse modifiers, keyboard shortcuts, window and control focusing, ...), many good things have been suggested (vim style shortcuts, all windows dockable, fx slots -- not that I wanted them but a lot of people do), some things are inconvenient (like cc editing), some things I plainly don't like (routing window layout is ugly imho and you can't show it with a key, etc).
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #48
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
some things I plainly don't like
This does qualify it as an extremely big thing, indeed

(You are correct: as seen in may similar discussions, GUI issues are decently are a matter of personal taste and hence - while still important - the contrary of a "big thing".)

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #49
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

GUI issues are decently are a matter of personal taste and hence - while still important - the contrary of a "big thing".)

-Michael
no this is not at all true as years of research shows - it would be more correct to say some aspects of a gui are a matter of personal taste.
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #50
X-Tech
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 442
Default

I'm using Reaper for creating music. I playin with other daws too last times.



The most important in REAPER for music creation purposes is some sort form of envelope parts visible in project bay and be able to easy to copy and move like midi items for arrange purposes.



Multi envelopes on same tracks without items related to only single envelopes is most problem i guess/or need for arrangement purposes. This problematic when you want to manipulate (enable/disable/manipulate) multiple fx on same track as temporarly used fx for music.


When you get multiple ideas for envelopes fx manipulation for specific tracks and want to use these multiple ideas - when item is related to whole part these ideas starts to blending with others instead of pure separation with items. It's mean when you want to use few envelope fx manipulations at same time you really cant separate and copy them with items cause when you do this you copy whole segment - not single envelopes and sudenly your clar and named items related to single fx envelopes go in mess so you forced to use only one fx envelope on single track related to 1 item at same time. That is why project bay envelope parts, movable and be able to copy so important and usable - for separation and order on single tracks. With these you be able to arrange mutiple fx used on single tracks and blend them clearly without glueing them with single items which force you to use only 1 envelope fx at single time - movable by item.

So yeah items related to single envelopes on same track (with free item positioning) solve this problem and envelopes parts used as specific envelope items with same rules as midi (pooling) visible in project bay - that could be clear too. At current point in my opinion items related to single envelopes on specific track is very convinient and visually and practically can work very clear and good.


Other things work enough ok. There is always that lakcs of slicer which throwing dynamic splitted items into some sort of sampler with time stretch.
Time strech in reasamplomatic would be really handy and work well for mixes. When you throw wavs in arrange they get nice stretch. In reasamplomatic they stay in original stretch form.
Reasamplomatic lacks of position of play cursor to play sounds in each direction (back and forward) in any kind of speed controlled by parameter. Second parameter for start position.
There is no this thing in Reasamplomatic too - which is very need for ambient/loop sounds. If you realize that you can play in Reasamplomatic sound from any position in any time you can easy mark vertical lines and play long audio with marked parts which tells where midi note starts. Suddenly Reasamplomatic can be slicer too at same time.
__________________
nonononononono

Last edited by X-Tech; 03-27-2017 at 07:59 AM.
X-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 AM   #51
RobU
Human being with feelings
 
RobU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: R'lyeh
Posts: 547
Default Semi-Real-Time Online Collaboration (WAN/LAN/Internet)

Coming from a place of complete naivety in regards to an actual implementation, I'd like to see online collaboration.

Assumptions / Dependencies
All users have the same VST/VSTi plugins, Reaper version, etc.
All users have access to shared storage (Dropbox, Google drive, or similar)
All project files and media are stored in the shared location
All users have a local cached copy of the shared project files
The Reaper project file stores a unique UID for each client which used to tag tracks, items, media files, and other changes that may cause merge conflicts.

How it Works (in my head...).
User creates a new Reaper ‘Shared’ project. The files are saved on shared storage and a cached copy is created in the users’s local project folder.
When additional users open then save the shared project, a cached local copy is created
All users work only on their local cached copy.
User makes changes to local cached copy, and when they’re happy with their changes, the ‘commit’ to the shared project. All changes are merged with the shared/online project using some Git-like functionality.
Changes would include (but not limited to)
+/- Track(s) plus routing
+/- New Items plus source (if audio)
+/- FX plus routing
+/- Tempo changes
+/- Envelopes
+/- you get the picture... pretty much everything a normal project file would contain.
All other users are notified via a pop-up of the changes/commit, and can pull the changes to their local copy.

Issues…
Many I’m sure… I’m thinking mostly around merge conflicts, duplicate track numbers, duplicate item names, etc. Perhaps partially resolvable as mentioned above, by using a unique client ID as part of the naming for tracks, items, and media files…
__________________
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?
~Edgar Bergen

Last edited by RobU; 04-01-2017 at 04:49 AM.
RobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:55 AM   #52
rvrv
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default Really big thing ?

Really big thing ?

Like PARADIGM SHIFT thing ?

Editing notes in main project window without need to use midi editor at all...

Pro Tools does this since begining and it works nice...

In Pro Tools you simply select a MIDI clip in main project window and hit "-" now you can click individual notes and drag notes around right in the project window... works with single notes or SHIFT select multiple notes

You simply DO NO NEED separate midi editor in Pro Tools...

You edit notes and/or clips in ONE SINGLE WINDOW in context of:

1) single ZOOM
2) single TIMELINE
3) single PLAYHEAD POSITION
4) with overview of the entire project at any given moment (MIDI, AUDIO, CLIPS, NOTES, everything in 1 window)

This is by far the most intutive workflow SINGLE WINDOW into the song where you can move around clips and zoom in on details and fix notes, phrases, accents...

Last edited by rvrv; 04-01-2017 at 05:05 AM.
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #53
juliansader
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrv View Post
In Pro Tools you simply select a MIDI clip in main project window and hit "-" now you can click individual notes and drag notes around right in the project window... works with single notes or SHIFT select multiple notes
REAPER also has an inline editor. Select a MIDI clip in the arrange window and hit "e".


Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrv View Post
1) single ZOOM
2) single TIMELINE
3) single PLAYHEAD POSITION
4) with overview of the entire project at any given moment (MIDI, AUDIO, CLIPS, NOTES, everything in 1 window)
Another way to do this in REAPER is to dock the MIDI editor below the arrange window and then set the editor's timebase to project synced. This timebase option will keep the zoom, timeline and playhead position of the arrange window and MIDI editor aligned.

Last edited by juliansader; 04-01-2017 at 05:05 AM.
juliansader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:04 AM   #54
rvrv
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
REAPER does have an inline editor. Select a MIDI clip in the arrange window and hit "e".
ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME !!! OK NOTE TO MYSELF RTFM, RTFM, RTFM...

EDIT: yeah docking midi editor to project window is the standard approach of every DAW... its nice to have separate midi editor for some surgical editing but i prefer the SINGLE WINDOW appraoch where you move, zoom and edit notes in the context of "THE ENTIRE SONG CANVAS"... like a painter or photoshop artist also wants to edit however minute details in the context of the ENTIRE PICTURE WITH ALL LAYERS PRESENT AND OVERLAPING... separate midi editor has its uses but i never understood why it should be the DEFAULT mode of composing... every time you want to chnage anything on your song you have to remove yourself from the CANVAS and go to different window (or section of window) to tweak a melody or anything...

anyway not anymore in Reaper THANKS

EDIT (2 HOURS LATER) AAAAAAAH, iam in paradise... with a single shortcut (e) Reaper just become my dream DAW... iam in heaven... thanks Cockos thanks juliansader for putting me out of the misery

Last edited by rvrv; 04-01-2017 at 06:36 AM.
rvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #55
woggle
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrv View Post
ARE YOUR F'ING KIDDING ME !!! OK NOTE TO MYSELF RTFM, RTFM, RTFM...

EDIT: yeah docking midi editor to project window is the standard approach of every DAW... its nice to have separate midi editor for some surgical editing but i prefer the SINGLE WINDOW appraoch where you move, zoom and edit notes in the context of "THE ENTIRE SONG CANVAS"... like a painter or photoshop artist also wants to edit however minute details in the context of the ENTIRE PICTURE WITH ALL LAYERS PRESENT AND OVERLAPING... separate midi editor has its uses but i never understood why it should be the DEFAULT mode of composing... every time you want to chnage anything on your song you have to remove yourself from the CANVAS and go to different window (or section of window) to tweak a melody or anything...

anyway not anymore in Reaper THANKS

EDIT (2 HOURS LATER) AAAAAAAH, iam in paradise... with a single shortcut (e) Reaper just become my dream DAW... iam in heaven... thanks Cockos thanks juliansader for putting me out of the misery
if you haven't found it yet ~ will expand item height to max - I think there is expand length as well but cant find it at the moment, but you could then make a custom action to click on the midi item, keystroke, and the midi item is inline and expanded to fill the screen
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:29 AM   #56
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
if you haven't found it yet ~ will expand item height to max
He just need to maximize track height "View: Toggle track zoom to maximum height"
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #57
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
if you haven't found it yet ~ will expand item height to max -
Is it just here ? With my (German) keyboard "~" (genetarted by ctrl-alt-"+") does not work.

I added < ctrl-alt-"+" > in the action list and now it does.

(IMHO it would be nice if the maximized view automatically would focus the selected track.)

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 04-02-2017 at 02:35 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #58
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.lt View Post
UI overhaul? Some things are missing (track locking, themeable everything, ...), some are inconsistent (mouse modifiers, keyboard shortcuts, window and control focusing, ...), many good things have been suggested (vim style shortcuts, all windows dockable, fx slots -- not that I wanted them but a lot of people do), some things are inconvenient (like cc editing), some things I plainly don't like (routing window layout is ugly imho and you can't show it with a key, etc).
This is as unlikely as my main thing, stop development on new features entirely on Reaper and rebuild the UI engine entirely creating a complete and fully walter designable Vector based UI using SVG imagery.

Unfortunately it will never happen because so many users would not allow the time needed to go without new shiny shiny.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #59
Knut
Human being with feelings
 
Knut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oslo
Posts: 75
Default

Always record.

Everything that enters Reaper is recorded in a configurable cache.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #60
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
This has probably been said, but: DRUMS

Not something small and flimsy, but something great!

I mean Reaper is way up there along side of all the other awesome DAWs, even those used by PROs that cost a fortune... So, why not up the game with one of the most comprehensive Drumming interface?
Dare to dream BIG.
Why single out drums when there is already pretty much NOTHING in the way of included VSTi in Reaper?
From my own point of view, I see this as a good thing.
Since I also own and use Logic, Sonar, Studio One and a couple of other DAWs, I have to say that the included VSTi in most of them are for the most part either "lite" versions of commercial products or just not very good.
Putting in what you are suggesting would inevitably increase the cost of reaper significantly and would at the same time remove the extra money from peoples pockets who would almost certainly prefer to spend it on a different vsti, or (as in my case) already own a ton of vsti that they have selected over a period of years and actually KNOW and LIKE WORKING WITH.

I can appreciate the sense of doing this if the dev`s only market consideration was the newbie user, but I suspect that a large percentage of us using Reaper came to it after using other DAWs and already had VSTis they like.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #61
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
This is as unlikely as my main thing, stop development on new features entirely on Reaper and rebuild the UI engine entirely creating a complete and fully walter designable Vector based UI using SVG imagery.

Unfortunately it will never happen because so many users would not allow the time needed to go without new shiny shiny.
And some of us like me dont really give a damn what it looks like, so long as the workflow is comfortable. It is audio we are working with here, after all.
If you think about it, you are asking for exactly what you suggest should forgo: More new shiny shiny eye candy that doesn't actually improve the core functionality of Reaper.
Think about it.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.

Last edited by ivansc; 04-21-2017 at 01:49 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #62
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,138
Default

Actually I'm not asking for shiny shiny at all, I am asking for a vector based UI because that will work at any resolution and parts could be zoomed for older failing eyes, don't assume everything UI related is about looking pretty, huge mistake!
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #63
mschnell
Human being with feelings
 
mschnell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,089
Default

"Zoomability" seems like one UI request that indeed is well defined and does make sense. Hence could be awarded a "next big thing" tag.

-Michael
__________________
www.boa-sorte.de

Last edited by mschnell; 04-22-2017 at 08:47 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #64
sambosun
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 169
Default

- ARA
- Area Selection

Bonus:

- all songs play in reverse no matter what you do ;-)
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #65
Flaneurette
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 175
Default

I hope Reaper will become open-source one day. I am willing to pay for it. Maybe even more so if that day arrives.
__________________
👻 — for the reaper will come for all of us. 𓂀
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #66
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Actually I'm not asking for shiny shiny at all, I am asking for a vector based UI because that will work at any resolution and parts could be zoomed for older failing eyes, don't assume everything UI related is about looking pretty, huge mistake!
But you ARE asking devs to stop work on anything and everything else so your personal preference for user interface can be implemented. My 73 year old eyes have no problem with the existing interface although I do have some sympathy for the early adopters of high resolution monitors, but there again Cockos have never said they DID support hi - res until the recent developments. Buy something, knowing your software doesnt support it, and THEN complain???

What you are asking for negates all the other FRs, puts you at the head of a very long queue and would add nothing to MY Reaper experience at all, other than pretty graphics that stay clear on bigger screens that I neither want nor can afford.
I am not alone.

Realistically, Justin already made it clear that going vector would involve a massive amount of work that he is not prepared to start at the expense of everything else.

I am content that this will happen in its own time, which is more than I can now say for my own BIG FRs.

A hybrid stave - now of course dead in the water with the advent of notation.

A proper arrange editor, which has received little or no support nostly because very few people on Reaper have either seen it, worked with it, or indeed understand the significance of it.

There again, I suppose this IS the Reaper Pie in the Sky thread, isn`t it?
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:36 AM   #67
vitalker
Human being with feelings
 
vitalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
I hope Reaper will become open-source one day. I am willing to pay for it. Maybe even more so if that day arrives.
It never won't, because open-souce is dead frost.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #68
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
But you ARE asking devs to stop work on anything and everything else so your personal preference for user interface can be implemented. My 73 year old eyes have no problem with the existing interface although I do have some sympathy for the early adopters of high resolution monitors, but there again Cockos have never said they DID support hi - res until the recent developments. Buy something, knowing your software doesnt support it, and THEN complain???

What you are asking for negates all the other FRs, puts you at the head of a very long queue and would add nothing to MY Reaper experience at all, other than pretty graphics that stay clear on bigger screens that I neither want nor can afford.
I am not alone.

Realistically, Justin already made it clear that going vector would involve a massive amount of work that he is not prepared to start at the expense of everything else.

I am content that this will happen in its own time, which is more than I can now say for my own BIG FRs.

A hybrid stave - now of course dead in the water with the advent of notation.

A proper arrange editor, which has received little or no support nostly because very few people on Reaper have either seen it, worked with it, or indeed understand the significance of it.

There again, I suppose this IS the Reaper Pie in the Sky thread, isn`t it?
Lets be clear, when i originally mentioned this idea, there were nearly zero users or FR, it was a long time ago, and im not aski g for it anymore, if you read my post i actually said that somebody elses request was as unlikely as mine (which was made some ten years ago or such)

Pretty sure i have never posted in the FR forum and the only thing everybody knew i wanted was AI, which we got in a twee and funny way, that works pretty much, so while its not perfect, i cant say anything but Reaper is the best DAW on the market pound for pound !
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #69
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

...so you didnt vote for my hybrid stave FR either, eh?




Seriously, I can see why a certain percentage of the folks who post on here want to be able to use their hi-DPI monitors, but, as with all of these things, the VAST majority of Reaper users never even join or for that matter read the Reaper forums, so who the hell knows what they think?
Especially since a fair few of the dumber ones them think it is cool to have a cracked version of reaper!!!! (cue superior, sneery laughter)

Me? I would still like a decent arrange page and even better MIDI functionality....

Oh and a tidier way of displaying a plugin's gui and being able to stick it exactly where I want it ALL the time.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.

Last edited by ivansc; 04-22-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: oops!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #70
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,138
Default

I literally have everything the midi editor can do turned off, just notes from that item, nothing else, no track lists or semi transparent notes from other items, everything they have added to the MIDI editor that everybody here yells is great, makes me wanna run away, I like that loksana chord entering thing and will use that when I get chance.
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #71
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Yeah - I think my attitude stems from having used BPP, which I still think has the best MIDI editing facilities of any sequencer I have used.

Had a LOT more than Reaper offers today way back in the early 1990s.
Just wish I could integrate the PC port into reaper. There again, the PC port of BPP, whilst having the original authors blessing, is a looot flakier than the original on AmigaOS.

OK I will stop ranting and go away now...
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.

Last edited by ivansc; 04-23-2017 at 11:41 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 AM   #72
Hooty Toledo
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Default

Personally I'd like the whole thing to be controlled purely by mind. I'd just strap on something that looks like a bicycle helmet with "REAPER" written in big letters on the front, and then start willing things to sound better.
Hooty Toledo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #73
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooty Toledo View Post
Personally I'd like the whole thing to be controlled purely by mind. I'd just strap on something that looks like a bicycle helmet with "REAPER" written in big letters on the front, and then start willing things to sound better.
You mean they didnt mail you yours when you paid for Reaper?
Oh - hang on, that only comes with the pro version. Silly me!
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 PM   #74
jahudka
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 34
Default

I've got a couple of things I'd love..

1) PFL mode for solo
2) a sort of "solo defeat" mode for the master track (essentially the switch between "solo" vs "all" would happen later in the chain - after master inserts but before monitoring fx instead of before master inserts)

This would greatly simplify a "recorded broadcast" kind of workflow which I've been doing recently - a band is playing a live session with audience present and everything, but the hardware mixer is also acting as a multi-channel sound card which is plugged into a computer running Reaper; there the session is being recorded and simultaneously mixed independently of the venue for an online live stream. What 1) is useful for is obvious I suppose; 2) would be useful because the stream could be taken from the actual master track without taking away the ability to solo tracks (because even if a couple of tracks are soloed, the master still receives the full mix and sends it on to the stream via a plugin on the master track while the soloed tracks "replace" the master mix right before the monitoring fx chain and thus can be monitored independently).

Of course 2) could also be done differently.. by having multiple master tracks with configurable solo defeat! Now *that* would be a Next Big Thing..
jahudka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #75
mb945
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 43
Default

Better built in control surface support.
mb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #76
AndreiT
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 38
Default

A new GUI overhaul to get rid of all the Windows type dialog windows.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #77
gpunk_w
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Yeah - I think my attitude stems from having used BPP, which I still think has the best MIDI editing facilities of any sequencer I have used.

Had a LOT more than Reaper offers today way back in the early 1990s.
Just wish I could integrate the PC port into reaper. There again, the PC port of BPP, whilst having the original authors blessing, is a looot flakier than the original on AmigaOS.

OK I will stop ranting and go away now...
Why not just run it on a Vampyr or one of those slick FPGA Amigas ?
__________________
Reaper scripters, that is all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpunk_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #78
PointReyes
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 37
Default

These are the biggest ones for me so far:

1. Integrated ARA or élastique or something else for pitch manipulation (a la many DAWs)

2. Swipe comping (a la Cubase, Logic, etc.). The current comping in Reaper is definitely a step down from what some of us are used to coming from some other DAWs.

3. I agree that a UI redesign could benefit the program greatly. It's cool in some ways and very old-feeling in others (like the Windows-style dialogs -- ack!).

4. Track versions, track versions, track versions. Probably won't have cue lists (I think that's what they're called?) like Pro Tools, but well-designed and well-integrated track versions like many other DAWs are truly the bees knees!
PointReyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #79
ivansc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Cambridge UK and Near Questembert, France
Posts: 15,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Why not just run it on a Vampyr or one of those slick FPGA Amigas ?

Money. I am an OAP on a very limited income.
__________________
UK and USA: Our leaders MAY be buffoons but they are still dangerous buffoons.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #80
nightscope
Human being with feelings
 
nightscope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 999
Default





ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.