CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
mundy
Human being with feelings

Default midi to server sync in reaper

My feature request looks like this :

If reaper had a midi to ninjam sync, it could be slave to the ninjam server.
Then I could use reason via reaper rewire and play in reason with my fiends in their reason.

What do you think about it?
mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
pljones

There's an idea. Make ReaNINJAM a ReWire process rather than a VST. ReWire has the necessary protocols for synching...
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
mundy

Default rewire standalone ?

If ninjam receives a rewire interface, can it be a standalone client to reason and you connect the reason channels to ninjam audio channels?
mundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
pljones

I don't know enough to answer that... I don't have the ReWire protocol spec (I'm not sure it's public). I'll shut up and leave Justin / someone else to answer now!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
AndyMc

There is rewire for Reaper and when that was made I'm sure they were aware of other rewire features but I'd imagine one prob is that NINJAM timming is constant.
So grabbing a sync is probs the easy part but getting software to get on with that sync wouldn't be.

Possible probs and solutions could be as follows.

Problem:
Latency in starting aplication playing to actually playing, anyone who has tried to start Reason manually to sync in time will notice a delay between hitting start and it actually starting.

Solution:
Possible the same techniques as ninjams exact latency may fix this issue but then this might be a mean feat to archive along with there being an even longer delay before reason even started. And the whole process would probs be in beta for some time or never get out of a beta.

Another Solution/Problem:
One Solution that may work which would have to be in form of a plugin could be a bpm sync simular to whats found in some DJ Progs. I've seen a few progs about over time that read the beat from audio format as in reads the waveform.
Then they sync say the next track onto sync with the previous allowing for at the touch of a button syncing.

Problem:
This may have been already attempted as a plugin but maybe be also a tall order and then that would rule out Reason because it don't allow for plugins.

Solution:
If anyone knows of any software that uses rewire and that allows for a person to do tap tempo and that application will then follow speed of tap then this might help.
Then people could rewire there chosen application to the tap tempo rewire app. then sync this way.

When I sync it does not start instantly, there is some delay so I have to start half a beat before or more sometimes. So sometimes people will hear me start start start and so on to get in sync, I'm using numpad and will start stop start stop start stop to get on beat. Sometimes its easy sometimes its not, but I have my Cubase metronome going out on its own Asio Strip, so I can hear it but you guys can't. So I can get in sync before playing a note.

I have heard some people get spot on every time, maybe they have sussed it and might pass by here one time and shed some into on how they do it.

I personally don't like reason, i got it but didnt bother reinstalling it and it connects perfect with my cubase and has built in mastering suite and all sorts.
But its just a loops factory, mastered loops that uninspire and make all else sound bad.
No matter what people think about what I play as some might shout but ain't yours too? but no it snot, I play, and semi master stuff on the fly which Reaper and NINJAM allow you to do too.
I'm normally doing loads of stuff at once, typing, playing, recording at the same time so it maybe sometimes looks like I'm just turning stuff on and off but I'm not.

Its like Andre Louis when he plays drums on keys, you wouldn't believe it until u see it.

So I have setup a webcam with in another screen show what I'm doing in the pc aswell. I'm trying to get it as a stickam show. But when its on u can watch and join the cam chat room aswell as see others cams at

http://andycam.hopto.org
or
http://nincam.hopto.org

I recommend using first link if you have lower spec PC, I made the first page as minimal as possible for this reason.

Last edited by AndyMc; 03-12-2008 at 03:47 AM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
FingerSoup

Default NINJAM and rewire

Likely, because Ninjam's code-base is GPL, is why Ninjam is implemented without rewire. Rewire actually has prohibitive licensing when it comes to open-source. Cockos Likely meets the company requirement for Rewire to be licensed for use at the company, but IIRC, the code must be kept private.

As Ninjam is GPL, one could argue that Cockos would have to release any code to the public that is used with Ninjam. this includes 3rd party SDK used to compile the files, as well as any API's used to allow a program be linked to it. LGPL might help matters a bit, but not enough to actually allow rewire code to be used within Ninjam. Justin would technically need to reverse engineer Rewire, then write his own (hopefully compatible) implementation.

In Fact, if it wasn't for dual licensing, or if Justin didn't take ownership of the Ninjam code himself, REAPER with ReaNINJAM would likely be a violation of the GPL. I can't imagine Justin would write an entire code base from scratch for ninjam, just to remove the GPL status.....
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
pljones

I was just thinking...

if NINJAM had a MIDI Out that sent, say, CC#80=0, every time the interval started, CC#16&48 whenever BPI changed and CC#17&49 whenever BPM changed, that might just work, if the host could respond appropriately...

(I'm assuming 14bit resolution for BPI and BPM is sufficient and that the "latency" between the plugin emitting the MIDI events and the host acting on them is negligible...)