Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Learn Map - Need more than one Default

I use a bunch of compressors, eqs and deessers. Some of them in differing orders.

I keep a default plugin control learn map for my compressor plugins. However if I want to chain them, I can scratch using my controllers because I've always assigned the same hardware midi/osc controller knbo/fader/touchscreen control to similar parameters such as threshold, attack or output gain. That setup makes them easy to swap out.

The same parameter types would be controlled by one knob for example, which is bad for me.

I want to keep alternate learn-mappings handy, so I don't need to change each and every knob assignment when I stack similar plugin types. This goes for EQs too. I often use two EQs for dialogue tracks, and so far had to prepare them as track templates because the default learn preset would collide with the other EQ in the track.

Problem :
Reaper only has one plugin map preset. The default.

Request :
Nameable presets for midi/osc learned plugin mappings.

Benefits :
I can switch a plugin to other mappings so secondary hardware controll resources can be used, instead of the default map controlling both instances/types of a plugin.

Last edited by airon; 12-02-2017 at 11:09 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
mpl

See ReaPack/mpl_LearnManager

I can split to single scripts actions for load/apply custom mappings from 4 slots (instead of doing same thing from script GUI).

Last edited by mpl; 12-02-2017 at 11:46 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
DarkStar

I've thought for a long time that there should be multiple controller mappings for each plug-in; one as "Default" and others that can be selected. Precisely so that I can pick and choose the mappings, depending on the mix of plug-ins loaded.

I vaguely recall raising an FR for this, but cannot find it now.

-----------------
Also, wouldn't it be good if the Controller Mappings saved the "MIDI Link" mappings too?
Old 12-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post

I can split to single scripts actions for load/apply custom mappings from 4 slots (instead of doing same thing from script GUI).
After a synch by Reapack the script showed up.

Interesting. It has more features than I even asked for in the request.

Reaper seems to connect learned maps to the name of the plugin in the FX list of the track. I rename some of my effects on a track, which complicates matters just a small amount. No problem for me though.

Suggestion. Increase the font size for the track and plugin name. They're a little more difficult to see on screens like mine(2460x1440@27" monitor).

Thank you MPL, this is very helpful. I'll test it before I deploy it in a work session.

@Justin and Schwa
This kind of thing would be very helpful in the actual "Param" button menu of the FX window frame.

IMHO, Cockos should be copying and improving on this stuff. Take it a step further. The mapping management is there but it's basic and has hardly been improved since inception. That's my impression anyway. I'm happy I can work this way. There is simply room for improvement.

@Darkstar
Give MPL's script a try. It looks very useful. You can assign a saved map to instances of the plugin on selected tracks. Nice.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 AM   #5
DynamicK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Looks useful
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote