Old 12-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #41
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I totally hear ya.
I am sorry to not be of any help.

All i can say is i am in the same boat as you:
Dozens and dozens of VSTi's i have and use in Reaper, give hanging notes, all the time.
Doesn't matter if i use AU or VST versions (i am on mac).

In all other DAWS's i use: totally no hanging notes.
I work alot with MIDI, so for me it's such an annoying problem and totally unworkable that me too sometimes thinks i am better of switching to another DAW.

OSX 10.13.1
Reaper 5.65rc3/64bit.
Interesting...

I was having quite a lot of stuck notes with El Capitan and earlier 5.x Reaper versions, but with 10.13.1 and 5.62 they are far more rare again. I didn't keep a record to see if it was upgrading the OS or a Reaper update that improved behaviour...
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #42
Stavage

Default if someone visits this thread, here's a "solution"

This might help, i have just figured it out:

Go to actions>> make a custom action that contains two actions:

1) Transport: play/stop
2) Send all notes off to all MIDI outputs/plug-ins

Then bind the action to Space,
overwriting the standard mapping of Space=Transport: play/stop.

That solves it partially, everytime you play/stop playback you automatically "kill" all MIDI notes. (like you would with F3)

PS. i had this problem on playback stop, so it fixed this part completely, the problem now would still be on rendering
Stavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #43
Beastmode Beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That's not a realistic scenario anyway, as you can't play the same key if it's already held down.
Interesting that you said that, however it could be a bug caused by using an Omni configuration, because notes can be played simultaneously from different devices using an Omni config, but idk, I get this issue a lot
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #44
ovnis

Sometimes with Zebra2 midi notes can be stucked when the track is played. What is the solution ?
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #45
mschnell

Moreover I learnt (and tested) that 3 sensor keyboards do send another note-on with no previous note-off when half-releasing and repressing a key.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #46
Reflected

same bug here
no solution

send all notes off is just stopping the sound when stopping bug once the stuck note is triggered it is getting hold again.
Reflected is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #47
mschnell

I just did a JSFX plugin that as a side-effect shows the number of keys that are actually playing (one or more Note-Ons for a key, but no Note-off yet).

I can could extract that functionality if you want to use it as a measurement instrument.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #48
Reflected

nothing help yet...very awful bug.

midi notes stuck bug
finally I notice what cause that annoying bug:

when I use the action:
"take:duplicate active take" while the midi is playing, the note that was played at that time is getting stuck and keep being stuck every time playing it again untill reloading the project or reloading the plugin.

example of what happens when the take is being duplicated:
https://imgur.com/a/5zDLXQo
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #49
STOP

Putting reaControlMidi first in the VSTi chain solved, for me, alot of stuck notes.
STOP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #50
vanhaze

Yes, for me also, really happy !
Using Reaper mac version.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:32 AM   #51
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOP View Post
Putting reaControlMidi first in the VSTi chain solved, for me, alot of stuck notes.
I faced this annoying bug this morning and was ready to switch to S1 to finish my track until I insert a reacontrol midi.
Indeed, it helps reducing the stuck notes number without fully solving the issue.

Still no news from developers !
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:44 AM   #52
vanhaze

I read about that "reacontrol trick" some weeks ago, applied it right away and since then not a single hanging midi note for me.

Still like to hear some statement too from Cockos regarding the everlasting and dreadful midi note hang problem which many of us (both on windows and mac) experience in Reaper.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #53
Funkybot

Didn't know about the ReaControl trick. Had a project two nights ago with stuck notes happening on the same part of the song on each playback. Closed and reopened Reaper and it stopped.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #54
Reflected

and yet nothing really solve this bug.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #55
IadAslan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I read about that "reacontrol trick" some weeks ago, applied it right away and since then not a single hanging midi note for me.

Still like to hear some statement too from Cockos regarding the everlasting and dreadful midi note hang problem which many of us (both on windows and mac) experience in Reaper.
I keep having stuck notes at the end of a loop with various synth plugins & unfortunately adding reacontrol beforehand did not do anything on my end. Currently on Reaper 6.08. Had this issue since day one (Reaper 5+) and I think it's overdue for a statement form devs regarding this.

Reaper can do my taxes and simultaneously make an omelette with a single keystroke but it cannot play basic midi correctly...
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #56
jmorel33

Default My take on the issue

Well I compose music on reaper using a lot of hardware synths and stuff. So what I noticed is stuck note really depend on the gear Reaper talks to, and I pretty much would say it also depends on the plugin synth too. The point is, some of my hardware synths don't handle Reaper's way while others handle it properly.

What I mean by this is the note off issue depends really on the gear/plugin. My two really bad synths for this issue right now, I mean lately as I was composing are; The Korg EX8000 and the Akai VX90.

Now I would not say both those synths have great MIDI but what one might notice is they both belong to the same era. There are other synths that can have stuck notes, but usually we're talking about older synths with awkward midi timing, etc.

The other thing is I do not always plug a MIDI IN and MIDI OUt for every piece of gear as I have a lot of gear, and not as many MIDI cables for what I am doing, and I don't want to always plug and unplug.

Reaper does not really know what kind of MIDI gear it is talking to, so it does not have a way to adapt with the gear. That being said, for event involving changing the cursor from one part of the song to another part of the song while playing simultaneously, with inevitably give us some stuck notes on such gear. And what is annoying is we need to use some tricks to reset the synth; worse case scenario turn it off and on (not too good for the gear).

Now if only Reaper could better handle changing the cursor position while playing so we could avoid getting stuck notes, that would be great. Either send; ALL NOTES OFF, or at least send NOTES OFF to the notes it knows are playing, I mean AT LEAST THAT, it would alleviate the issue quite a bit.

But ultimately, if we could create synthesizer profiles in Reaper that would be great !!! As it stands, Reaper is pretty bare bones concerning MIDI Instruments. But if we could setup profiles and configure knobs and so on with CC, that would be awesome. Now I am sidetracking, but you can see the issue off hand is Reaper does not care about the gear it is sending commands to.. It cares so little in fact it doesn't even bother doing note offs or doing a panic situation when the play cursor changes.

One last bit for this is, for as long as I have been using Reaper, I have never enjoyed the MIDI implementation. If you compare MIDI in Reaper to say Cubase 1 on Atari ST in 1988, Reaper will lose. I mean, just that should say a lot. And I am talking about editing MIDI as well as playing, as well as setting up a drum kit, etc... Reaper is barely at a Pro 24 level when it comes to midi. This is not to bash on Reaper, but to wake up the community about how backwards MIDI is in Reaper. It is powerful; I can use over 40 MIDI peripherals and the timing is spot on, BUT day to day working in compo mode in Reaper is not the sauce for me and never was, no matter if they allow to draw spline CC curves or have every note in a different shade / hue...
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:07 AM   #57
EvilDragon

You can set up MIDI CC resets on playback loop/skip.

Preferences->Audio->Playback, set the CC reset override for CC120 and/or CC123 and enable it on playback loop/skip, it should send all notes off and/or all sound off as you skip around.

Also I disagree that Reaper is not even on Cubase 1 level. There's plenty of things you can do with mouse modifiers, and let's not mention Julian's scripts which take everything to next level, doing things that even Cubase today can't.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #58
Reflected

Quote:
There's plenty of things you can do with mouse modifiers, and let's not mention Julian's scripts which take everything to next level, doing things that even Cubase today can't.
I agree with you about that
but I agree with everyone else here that Stuck notes is something that most be fixed already.

it happens alot to me when duplicating takes during playback
Old 04-28-2020, 05:23 AM   #59
STOP

Quote:
You can set up MIDI CC resets on playback loop/skip.
I have upload a reaper file. You only need VSTi3 HELM.

1- Hit spacebar
2- Stop anywhere in the middle of midi item

Now can somebody tell how to kill the stuck notes.

Not a single stuck note with Cakewalk BandLab
Attached Files
File Type: rpp HELM.rpp (9.9 KB, 236 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #60
EvilDragon

No stuck notes in that project or plugin over here...

How do you have these options set up:

Preferences->Plugins->VST->[ ] Don't flush synthesizer plugins on stop/reset
Preferences->Plugins->VST->[ ] Don't send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-28-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:55 AM   #61
STOP

Quote:
No stuck notes in that project or plugin over here...

How do you have these options set up:

Preferences->Plugins->VST->[ ] Don't flush synthesizer plugins on stop/reset
Preferences->Plugins->VST->[ ] Don't send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset

Cheked ---Preferences->Plugins->VST->[x] Don't flush synthesizer plugins on stop/reset

Not cheked ---Preferences->Plugins->VST->[ ] Don't send note-offs or pitch reset messages on stop/reset
Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #62
STOP

Did some test and what's weird is both unchecked work on my portable install but not on the Program Files/install.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #63
EvilDragon

Yeah I have both of those unchecked here, no hung notes.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:56 AM   #64
Reflected

both unchecked here... stuck notes all the the time. especially when duplicating a take after hiting the spacebar to play
Old 04-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #65
EvilDragon

Easy, duplicate the take then play.

By "duplicate the take" do you mean duplicating the item (like creating a copy right after current item end - also is this with keyboard shortcut or mouse drag+modifier?), or creating a new take within the same item?
Old 04-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #66
Reflected

Here is a video showing the bug in real time:

https://youtu.be/IY4HQjF1qHg

Old 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #67
gofer
-blänk-

I tried all kinds of VSTi but could not replicate the duplicate take issue, neither with VST2 nor with VST3. That said, I do not have a whole lot of different VSTi to test.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 AM   #68
dupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I tried all kinds of VSTi but could not replicate the duplicate take issue, neither with VST2 nor with VST3. That said, I do not have a whole lot of different VSTi to test.
it happens with UHE, spire, Tal plugins in fact almost all !
No issue at all with this same plugins in Logic X, Live 10, Studio one 4.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:39 AM   #69
gofer
-blänk-

Downloaded a demo of Harmor and confirm the issue with “duplicate takes”.
Investigating further I found that duplicating takes while playback can sometimes send unresolved note-on messages into the running MIDI stream. So a note has two note-on but only one note-off message. Seems some synths are not handling this gracefully.

What I find very weird in case of Harmor is that while it responds to all-notes-off, it still keeps track of that unresolved note-on. The note is quiet after the all-notes-off, but as soon as it gets a new note-on, a single note-off will not stop it again. That is for sure not in tune with the MIDI specs. A note-off should stop the note, no matter how often it has been triggered. Some counter is not reset properly there.

But of course Reaper should be more careful when duplicating takes.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #70
EvilDragon

Yeah that definitely sounds like non-standard behavior on Harmor's side. When receciving all-notes-off it should purge any internal note on counters.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 AM   #71
gofer
-blänk-

Makes me wonder if more of the reported problems with note hanging are down to note counters of plugins not reset rigorously when a note-off comes in and Reaper not being careful enough to not send unresolved note-ons?
(Wow, lots of not(e)s in that sentence...)

I think it would make sense to write a debugger JS with a note counter to keep an eye on this and get an idea under which other circumstances this happens.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #72
Janne83

I have the same issue with Hive, zebra, Pigments Reproducable every time when duplicating takes or changing tempo suring playback. Also happening (more often with VST3i) when copy/pasting an item(alt+drag) with long notes during playback.

Also the All notes off command (F3) is broken for the VST3 versions.

Ive tested same instruments in Cubase 10.5, Studio One 4.6.1 and Live 10.1.9- neither exhibits problems with stuck notes
Old 05-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #73
dupont

Quote:
Makes me wonder if more of the reported problems with note hanging are down to note counters of plugins not reset rigorously when a note-off comes in and Reaper not being careful enough to not send unresolved note-ons?
(Wow, lots of not(e)s in that sentence...)

I think it would make sense to write a debugger JS with a note counter to keep an eye on this and get an idea under which other circumstances this happens.
but how to explain reacontrolmidi reduces the stuck note issue ?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #74
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
I have the same issue with Hive, zebra, Pigments Reproducable every time when duplicating takes or changing tempo suring playback. Also happening (more often with VST3i) when copy/pasting an item(alt+drag) with long notes during playback.

Also the All notes off command (F3) is broken for the VST3 versions.

Ive tested same instruments in Cubase 10.5, Studio One 4.6.1 and Live 10.1.9- neither exhibits problems with stuck notes
Weird enough, some VST3 do obey All-Notes-Off, but yeah, most of mine don’t as well. I tried to find out whether they behave differently in Bitwig, but wasn’t able to create a CC123 in its piano roll... gave up for now. Could you test that with Cubase? I mean give a synth a long note and send a CC123 while it sounds? It’s not the main topic here, but if these synths react to the All Notes Off in other DAWs, we should report that to Cockos (in a separate thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupont View Post
but how to explain reacontrolmidi reduces the stuck note issue ?
That’s a miracle to me. It didn’t prevent the duplicate take issue though.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #75
Janne83

In my case REacontrolMidi doesnt help.

Also: Ive gone through every buffering, MIDI and compatibilty option to find the cause but wth all options turned on or off still the same issues.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #76
EvilDragon

Regarding changing tempo during playback, what's your tempo track timebase in project settings? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #77
Janne83

Quote:
Regarding changing tempo during playback, what's your tempo track timebase in project settings? I wonder if that has something to do with it.
I have it set to Beats. Changing it to time doesnt fix the issue.

Last edited by Janne83; 05-01-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #78
Janne83

Quote:
Weird enough, some VST3 do obey All-Notes-Off, but yeah, most of mine don’t as well. I tried to find out whether they behave differently in Bitwig, but wasn’t able to create a CC123 in its piano roll... gave up for now. Could you test that with Cubase? I mean give a synth a long note and send a CC123 while it sounds? It’s not the main topic here, but if these synths react to the All Notes Off in other DAWs, we should report that to Cockos (in a separate thread).
Ill try cubase.Other softwarte ha reset midi panic button. Also what I meant is that Reaper doesnt respond to the All notes off action (F3 by deefault) for VST3
What i meant is that doing the same in other software (movving pasting, duplicating and changing tempo) dont cause any stuck notes no matter how hard I try.

Edit: In cubase automating cc123 works

The note off for vst3 was already reported in a separate topic. Also these stuc issues were also reported in few different topics(with the same title as this one) in these forums over the last half year or so.

Last edited by Janne83; 05-01-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Janne83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #79
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3o View Post
Lol- you must excuse the evil dragon- poor guy only sees the world through a pair of reaper coloured spectacles.. being blinded by that,he refuses to see the actual light of any given serious reaper bug situation.
Have no fear though!
Cockos team will probably have 10,000 more buggy features to play with and distract attentions away from all the old problems existing.

If it were my ship,i would fix ALL the leaks before adding any more cargo to an already sinking ship!
Bless.
I know ED for quite some time and I dont share your looks. Hes is a great chap and is usually realy helpful.

As you say MIDI side could use some polishing. Ive had quite a few issues lately. Also I learned in time not to stress too much over such things. it doesnt help

Regards J
Old 05-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #80
STOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post

As you say MIDI side could use some polishing.
An industrial buffer is needed here ...
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=181729