Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #41
WyattRice
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
bump

Any help locating working links appreciated.

thx
I have it somewhere.
Let me see if I can find it, and I'll upload it to the stash.

Also, I've had something in the works for awhile now, but I don't have the time to finish. I may try an finish it this winter.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #42
karumba

dropbox has recently discontinued public folders...grrr
i've added it now to my studio page & updated the link in the first post.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #43
RJHollins

Thanks to You both. Look forward to checking this out.
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #44
serr

Unless I'm missing something...

You guys know DDP is integrated into Reaper now as a render option and you literally use the Reaper GUI and do this visually right? Position your mix renders just like you place any audio items in tracks. The markers for index points are just normal Reaper markers.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:06 PM   #45
WyattRice

Yeah,
Reaper can do DPP.
It sure could use a Marker editor.
Something like this is what I was working on.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=450

Last edited by WyattRice; 09-09-2017 at 07:13 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #46
MRMJP

REAPER can do DDP, but IMO it's just too clumsy and DIY for such a detailed task which is strange because REAPER can kick ass in just about every way but I think many people save the album assembly step (not just DDP) for another apps like WaveLab or HOFA.

Even some major REAPER power users use another app for things like this. I know that some people can do it or tolerate the process in REAPER but I think REAPER could really use a mastering focused mode like Studio One V3 or the WaveLab montage to make album assembly and export of all potential master formats (not just DDP) faster, easier, and more cohesive.

I would call it possible for people that just need it here and there, or super hardcore REAPER users/coders but not all that friendly for the common user.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #47
serr

Huh. I've used the DDP render many times. You literally place items that are your mix renders on a track visually and with the very same Reaper GUI you always see and use. The 75 frame grid is the same Reaper grid with the same snap controls. The index markers are just Reaper markers. There's nothing different or clumsy.

I don't know if an early implementation of DDP in Reaper was kludgey but it sure isn't at present.

Not to argue personal preference but it sounds like you guys are seeing something pretty different than I am.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #48
mlprod

Serr, the script this thread is about just makes the marker meta data and placement easier, its still the same DDP render!
I actually just tried this script and it works really well and makes the whole marker editing faster.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #49
drichard

The DDP render works great and is easy. But putting in the metadata is a bit of a hassle. The GUI helps a lot with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Unless I'm missing something...

You guys know DDP is integrated into Reaper now as a render option and you literally use the Reaper GUI and do this visually right? Position your mix renders just like you place any audio items in tracks. The markers for index points are just normal Reaper markers.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #50
mlprod

Anyone had any trouble with the fact that Reaper puts the ISRC of the first track on both index 0 and 1?
When it should according to the DDP standard AFAIK be on index 0 only, on any track that has one. (which track 1 always has)
Or is it just something silly that no plant cares about?
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #51
endorka

This is really good stuff Karumba, thank you.

I've made a small project with it and rendered. When I write the cue file with "ddpinfo --wave CUE DDP" it gives the following warning. Is this significant at all?

"pregap in map stream (150 sectors) does not match pregap in subcode descriptor (163 sectors)."

Thanks again :-)

Jennifer
Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #52
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
This is really good stuff Karumba, thank you.

I've made a small project with it and rendered. When I write the cue file with "ddpinfo --wave CUE DDP" it gives the following warning. Is this significant at all?

"pregap in map stream (150 sectors) does not match pregap in subcode descriptor (163 sectors)."

Thanks again :-)

Jennifer
Hi,
Is your first track marker at exactly 2 seconds (0:00:02:00)?
I also have a GUI for ddpinfo, if that helps. See my signature for download (DDP To Cue Writer).
Regards,
Wyatt
Old 09-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #53
endorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Hi,
No - I left the markers at exactly the position the script inserted them. The first track marker was further on than this. When I moved it to 2 seconds exactly the error goes away, thank you. This is what I did in previous projects when placing the markers manually, and is consistent with the example PQ sheet in Bob Katz "Mastering Audio" book p17.

It's odd, because an earlier post by Karumba seems to indicate that the first track marker should be seconds + tracks pregap for it to be Red Book proper. But I could be misreading this!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Last edited by endorka; 09-16-2017 at 07:03 AM.
endorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #54
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
The DDP render works great and is easy. But putting in the metadata is a bit of a hassle. The GUI helps a lot with that.
Maybe that's something I just don't use?

I just saved a project set to 44.1k, with 75 frame grid enabled, and with the 0 and 2 sec markers already started and then the last one for the disc title filled in except for the names. I just alter the index points (from the original master project for the lossless HD master) to conform to the 75 frame grid and then plug in the track names. That all seems to work with the Reaper GUI intuitively. I wouldn't want to have to type in time stamps or something manually.

What other metadata is there besides the track names, disc artist and title, and ISRC code (if used)?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #55
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

What other metadata is there besides the track names, disc artist and title, and ISRC code (if used)?
UPC/EAN is sometimes used.

Track Artists (different from Disc Artist) is also often used.

What REAPER really needs to make it a great mastering tool is to have ability to enter in all this info one time and then have it pushed to CD-Text, as well as ID3/Riff and other metadata to avoid extra work.

I'm trying to be open minded but I don't see how using REAPER for some really mastering focused stuff can be faster/better/more accurate than trying to cobble it together with scripts and other stuff.

I'm also not complaining because I'm happy to do that step in another app as I do, but I know some users would prefer to stay in one app.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #56
karumba

hi!

i've just updated the DDP GUI to v1-07. you can download it here:
http://www.finemastering.de/downloads/

the following feature has been added:

"Artist, album and song names are checked for unsupported CD-Text characters. The script will output a warning in that case."

additionally the whole ISRC code can now directly been added into the entry field. i hope you like it!
Old 09-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #57
karumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlprod View Post
Anyone had any trouble with the fact that Reaper puts the ISRC of the first track on both index 0 and 1?
When it should according to the DDP standard AFAIK be on index 0 only, on any track that has one. (which track 1 always has)
Or is it just something silly that no plant cares about?
this has never been a problem. afaik it is also not forbidden according to the spec.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #58
karumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Hi,
I also have a GUI for ddpinfo, if that helps. See my signature for download (DDP To Cue Writer).
Regards,
Wyatt
afaik the first track marker doesn't need to be strictly at 0:00:02:00, but it is not allowed to have it before. but if you e.g. would like to have a hidden track before the first track, your first track index needs to be > 2:00, therefore i didn't force it the be at 2:00 with the script. personally i've never used it that way (with reaper) so i'm always having my first track marker at exactly 0:00:02:00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
What REAPER really needs to make it a great mastering tool is to have ability to enter in all this info one time and then have it pushed to CD-Text, as well as ID3/Riff and other metadata to avoid extra work.
I'm trying to be open minded but I don't see how using REAPER for some really mastering focused stuff can be faster/better/more accurate than trying to cobble it together with scripts and other stuff.
I'm also not complaining because I'm happy to do that step in another app as I do, but I know some users would prefer to stay in one app.
i fully agree. for me the script lets me build a DDP very fast, but i know other mastering engineers that would prefer a nicer GUI with more options directly integrated in reaper.

Last edited by karumba; 09-23-2017 at 12:54 PM.
karumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #59
MRMJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
i fully agree. for me the script lets me build a DDP very fast, but i know other mastering engineers that would prefer a nicer GUI with more options directly integrated in reaper.
Thanks. I'll take a look but this is just one of a few things that makes me use WaveLab for the final stages of mastering instead of trying to do it in REAPER.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #60
sat159p1

Karumba, thank you for your time to do this thing. I really appreciate that.

Question: is there any step-by-step instruction how to load this script properly? I've been trying for an hour without a success... I've never set up a script in Reaper, but... you link Python 3.4 but it does not work on MacOS Sierra (put's a error in the end of installation that it can't be installed). So I have downloaded Python 3.6.3, the latest one.

Still, when I go to actions and try to load, it does not recognize .py extension, so I can't load that script. What I'm doing wrong?

PS: Reaper (latest version) in the Preferences>PlugIns>ReaScript says no compatible Python library found
sat159p1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #61
karumba

if reaper couldn't find python, your version is maybe not supported in reaper. maybe you can try installing different versions of python & check which one is supported in your case? otherwise i guess couldn't unfortunately help you further. good luck!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #62
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat159p1 View Post
PS: Reaper (latest version) in the Preferences>PlugIns>ReaScript says no compatible Python library found
Sometimes python installs in different locations.

On Mac, see if you can find the path to your libpython.dylib,
or if you have 3.6 installed, look for libpython36.dylib, then set the custom path in those preferences, the you mat have to restart Reaper.

Also place a checkmark in"Enable Python for use with reascript"

In the picture below, mine was located in /usr/lib

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Wyatt
Old 03-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #63
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
was an EEL or LUA version ever released? Any updates?
I agree EpicSounds, EEL or LUA port of that python script would be very welcome and perfect for portable Reaper) :-)

+1
akademie
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #64
kaaijmusic

Thanks for this fantastic script!! Just discovered it yesterday, after I finished a mastering job for a client. I switched from Windows to Mac recently and started using Protools and Logic as well, all for different tasks... i've been using Reaper for 12 years now and for mastering it will always be my preferred way to go! There's just one thing I'm sometimes missing in the Reaper implementation of DDP and that's the ability to set sub-index markers. So when a client wants me to insert a hidden track, I always have to make a cue/bin, edit the cuesheet and convert it with andreas' excellent DDPtools. I do have a license for the Sonoris DDP Creator, three months after I bought it in 2009, he decided to change the interface and so it wasn't compatible with my screenreader anymore... It still isn't, which shouldn't be with the Apple accessibility guidelines these days, but that's a completely different story... Many thanks for this, anyway!!
kaaijmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #65
kaaijmusic

Hi all,
Just another question: When I used Reaper on Windows, I could import my image.dat file and play the DDP for reference. On my Mac the dat file won't play and I get a project duration of about 1 second. When I convert my DDP to Wav there's no problem and all the audio plays flawlessly. Any suggestions? Could this be Mac or Reaper related? Many thanks,
Rene
kaaijmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #66
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaijmusic View Post
Hi all,
Just another question: When I used Reaper on Windows, I could import my image.dat file and play the DDP for reference. On my Mac the dat file won't play and I get a project duration of about 1 second. When I convert my DDP to Wav there's no problem and all the audio plays flawlessly. Any suggestions? Could this be Mac or Reaper related? Many thanks,
Rene
Hi.
Yeah, Reaper won't import a .DAT file from a DDP file set unless all the DDP files are in the folder, especially the DDPMS file.

Is that file (DDPMS) in your ddp directory along with the DAT file, and the other files too?

Also, I have a marker editor GUI extension.
Check in this thread.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=476

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Wyatt

Last edited by WyattRice; 03-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #67
karumba

I've updated the DDP GUI script to v1-11. You can download it here:
https://www.finemastering.de/downloads/

The script now works very well together with Wyatt Rice' highly recommended DDP Marker Editor. Recommended workflow is to first use my script & then use Wyatts Editor to add/modify the track entries. Please note, that track songwriter/composer/arranger is only correctly written, when this tag is also specified for the album (e.g. you might want to use "Various")!

You can now also set additional album tags:
  • COMPOSER
  • SONGWRITER
  • GENRE (This is checked against the CD-TEXT and will throw a warning when it couldn't find the typed in genre)
  • ARRANGER
Thanks to Tim Boyce and Wyatt Rice for their valuable support!

Last edited by karumba; 10-25-2020 at 09:57 AM.
karumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #68
thermos

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
I've updated the DDP GUI script to v1-11. You can download it here:
https://www.finemastering.de/downloads/

The script now works very well together with Wyatt Rice' highly recommended DDP Marker Editor. Recommended workflow is to first use my script & then use Wyatts Editor to add/modify the track entries. Please note, that track songwriter/composer/arranger is only correctly written, when this tag is also specified for the album (e.g. you might want to use "Various")!

You can now also set additional album tags:
  • COMPOSER
  • SONGWRITER
  • GENRE (This is checked against the CD-TEXT and will throw a warning when it couldn't find the typed in genre)
  • ARRANGER
Thanks to Tim Boyce and Wyatt Rice for their valuable support!
This is super awesome, thanks Karumba and WyattRice.
thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #69
bhuether

When I run the script I get output saying

Code:
!!! WARNING: SomeSong.wav contains non CD-TEXT chars!
The wav file was rendered in Reaper with nothing checked off to add any text.

Is this warning important?
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #70
karumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
When I run the script I get output saying

Code:
!!! WARNING: SomeSong.wav contains non CD-TEXT chars!
The wav file was rendered in Reaper with nothing checked off to add any text.

Is this warning important?
was the song name really "SomeSong.wav"? because this shouldn't trigger the warning (all characters are allowed).
Old 12-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #71
bhuether

Hi, the song names were all with usual characters. In any case when I run ddpinfo --html all looks good. Nice script you wrote for this! Thanks!
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 11:42 AM   #72
fricia

Hey everyone

Building on karumbas amazing work and with some inspiration from other well known DDP software I built my own DDP GUI for Reaper. It is currently in beta and I'm looking for people who are interested to try it out: https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=272168

Since this should fill some gaps that DDP GUI left for some of us, I hope it's okay to post this here.