Old 11-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Skaven252
Human being with feelings

Default Auto Apply Item Properties

If the project has a larger number of items whose properties (playback rate, gain/normalize, reverse, etc) you want to change, I like to keep the Properties window open and switch from item to item - but it gets a bit tedious to click Apply every time you change something.

Could there be a little checkbox in the corner that would make all changes in the Item Properties apply instantly?
Skaven252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Mr. Data

Hi Skaven and welcome to Reaperland!

In case you want all the items change in the same manner ie. apply a single change to more than one item, you can just select all the items you want to change, fill in the value you want to have and click "Apply". All selected items take that change with only one modification.

If you want to apply different changes to different items, you can also dock the Properties window and it will stay visible.

-Data
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
airon

I would like this too.

For any numerical value entered in a box it would need to be AFTER I leave the box with a tab or click elsewhere. For the volume fader it would change when I let go of the fader.

In case of the numerical entry, I wouldn't want crazy values to suddenly become used, such as deleting a comma in 1.0000 for example.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
Skaven252

Thanks for the welcomes, and the tip!

Yeah, I have been keeping the Properties window docked. It would just be even faster if Apply didn't have to be clicked. I've also used a graphics program called Xara, which has a similar philosophy, they call it "live editing". Basically the same principle: you immediately see the results of your parameter changes, instead of having to apply them every time you tweak.

Multi-selecting works in most cases, but doesn't work for some properties: the Normalize button gets greyed out if you select multiple items because they'd all need different gain values to Normalize, and Reaper doesn't like that. Well, hmm, why not just go ahead and apply an individual Gain value to each item if the user has several items selected and clicks Normalize?

I don't crave this feature THAT much (ie it's low priority), I just often need to do rapid sound design and/or multiple random variations of the same SFX, which means individual fiddling with large numbers of similar (but slightly differen) media items.

Last edited by Skaven252; 11-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Skaven252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
melino

+1, Auto-Apply would be great.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
mabian

It's mostly already there, right click in the item properties windows, there's an option to apply settings after two seconds of inactivity.

I think this has been added fairly recently.

- Mario
Old 04-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
melino

Oh, didn't know that. But actually I would like to have it in realtime. 2 seconds delay is much too long for "hear what you do".
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #8
StuhRAH

A very old thread but I would really like this option, especially for auditioning stretch algorithms. Is it possible yet?
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:38 AM   #9
EvilDragon

As mentioned by mabian two posts above, it is. The 2 second delay is there to catch all the keystrokes when typing in a value.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #10
StuhRAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
As mentioned by mabian two posts above, it is. The 2 second delay is there to catch all the keystrokes when typing in a value.

Yeah, but I'd never need that, I just want instant timestretch algo auditioning, and it's impossible with any delay.
StuhRAH is offline   Reply With Quote