Old 08-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #1
Travesty
Human being with feelings

Default Ableton project browser

I've just been witness to the power of the ableton project browser.

You can navigate to a project file in the browser, and see each element individually, allowing you to disect it track by track.

Has anyone developed a script which does something similar? Reading the project file and displaying it in a tree view?

Anyway, I would love reaper to have this facility, it makes salvaging elements from old projects really seamless
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
mschnell

Do you think this is generally easier to use than opening a recent project in a project tab and copy/paste appropriate tracks ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #3
Lunar Ladder

Having been a Live user since version 4 (and still now in version 10) I agree it's very useful.

However, if I absolutely had to choose, I would prefer having multiple project tabs like in Reaper and some other DAWs. When there are parts of a project to salvage, surprisingly often it's nice to be able to load the actual project side by side in another tab, and then just copy/paste from there exactly the bits you need. [Edit: ninja'd by mschnell : P ]

Of course, the main attraction of the Live browser being able to access project files is exactly the fact that you don't need to load the whole project in order to dive in and drag a channel or two into your current set, just like that. So yeah, it's a top feature. Especially for those gargantuan projects that -- uh oh -- don't fit into RAM simultaneously when loaded into project tabs, haha.

Still, I find I get more (and more specific) mileage out of project tabs, in these scenarios.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Do you think this is generally easier to use than opening a recent project in a project tab and copy/paste appropriate tracks ?

-Michael
It's definitely quicker.

Obviously you can't preview what it sounds like, but on the flip side you don't have to wait for multiple projects to load, which can take ages if they are complete tracks.

If you are in the mode of salvaging elements from past projects, you are most likely doing it to save time and to stay in the flow of inspiration, so trawling through past projects which may have loading or compatibility problems will hamper creativity.

I don't think the two are exclusive, they are both useful in their own way
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote