Old 11-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Default Popout Menus for Plugins

If someone has posted this before, I couldn't find the right search string to locate it.

It would be wonderful if REAPER v6 had a popout menu for adding FX instead of having to open the FX browser. This is one thing that is present in every other DAW that I really miss in REAPER.

Does that make sense? What I'm talking about is clicking or right-clicking the FX button on a track opens up a menu that lists the items in the left pane of the FX browser window, preferably with the custom folders at the top instead of the bottom. Then, another list pops out when you go to a folder and so on until you get to the plugin you want.

I'm sure everyone knows what I mean. If you've used any other DAW, they all have that behavior. Everything else in REAPER is so efficient and smooth, but adding FX is clunky and arduous. Unless you want the FX browser constantly hogging screen real estate, you have to click the track's FX button, click Add, locate and select the plugin, add it to your FX chain, then you're back in the track's FX dialog window to set parameters.

Yes, I know you can just open the FX Browser with a key command then drag and drop FX onto the track, and I love that about REAPER. But there are times when it would be nice to just have them all listed in a popout menu, too.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
EvilDragon

This is already possible if you right-click the FX button on track, you have stuff by category or developers or VST folders, if those are enabled in the FX browser...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
If someone has posted this before, I couldn't find the right search string to locate it.

It would be wonderful if REAPER v6 had a popout menu for adding FX instead of having to open the FX browser.
Seriously? How do you do this in Cakewalk by Bandlab/Sonar?

I am quite happy with the configurability of Reapers popup as described by ED above, or click on the rfx tracks of the mixer view.
But always seem to struggle with Sonar. Any ideas how THEY implement this?
Maybe I should read the Sonar user guide again...
Old 11-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Masi

The context menu is IMHI missing one entry: "on clipboard". Sometimes I'd be nice to paste a single plugin or a chain that you have copied to the clipboard directly without having to open the track FX window.

Masi
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #5
DarkStar

^^^^
I just do that in the FX slots in the MCPs. On the right-click context menu or just drag and drop
Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
The context menu is IMHI missing one entry: "on clipboard". Sometimes I'd be nice to paste a single plugin or a chain that you have copied to the clipboard directly without having to open the track FX window.

Masi
I have shortcuts for copy/paste FX to/from tracks.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #7
nofish

While we're at it, I miss being able to un-/bypass, offline/online FX from TCP.

(I know I can do it in the MCP fx slots, but my mixer is on a second monitor, so some distance to travel)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Ulf3000

uhhm actually the trackfx window and the mcp track fx lane should have the same context menu. that would remove alot of the confusion imo.
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 AM   #9
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is already possible if you right-click the FX button on track, you have stuff by category or developers or VST folders, if those are enabled in the FX browser...

Uh, yeah, well, I kind of want to crawl under a rock about now. Not sure how I missed that one. Thanks ED for being gentle to this human being with feelings. Ha! REAPER has so many rabbit holes to explore, sometimes one misses what's right under one's own nose.

Reckon I outta just delete that post, but then the ensuing discussions would seem out of context, and, unlike the original post, they had some merit.

Egg on face, but at least it does what I want, so it's egg on a happy face.