Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
pjd3
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to allocate extra Harddrive

Hi, I had inquired about this in an earlier thread but as a newcomer had some bigger fish to fry! I apologize for any redundancy.

For the 3 months I have joyfully been using Reaper I have done everything on the main hard drive. I have a 2nd Harddrive in my dedicated Reaper desktop just waiting for something worthy to do. I only use Reaper at home for my own projects.

I understand many use 2 harddrives with one holding the OS and apps and the other handling the actual storage of data. Is this how you would allocate having 2 harddrives? I also had to wonder if others were using a 2nd harddrive as solely a backup for the data or projects, while doing everything including data on the main harddrive.

For those who use one for OS/Applications and the 2 HD for data, is that for reasons of better operation and effeciency? If that were so, then thats the way I would probably want to go, and maybe get an external USB HD for backup.

What would you recommend?

Thanks very much!

Phil
pjd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Philbo King

I use a 2nd hard drive for data (projects, samples, plugins, impulses, and anything else I would like to keep).

The reason is simple: The boot hard drive containing windows is the most fragile part of the system. It is where Trojan and viruses install. It is where Windows lives (and gets corrupted or bloated or just sick. And dies.) And the fastest and best way to fix these things is to reformat the C: drive then install windows from scratch. Having all your critical data on a separate physical drive reduces this task from days to hours.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
pjd3

Default 2nd HD

Thank you Philbo King, and it seems many follow this provision for the same kind of reason. I think its time to get this going in my desktop. Initially, my computer was never to see on line, not for a second. But, needed security updates were required in order to use certain VST Fx that I was determined to use (still haven't got Ubermod to be seen, however.

I do want to ask you it there are any particular things to be aware of when setting this up, just incase there are things to avoid or look out for.

Also, seeing that at this point all my data and apps are together on one main drive, is it still OK to get the current data moved over to the second drive without issue?

THanks Philbo, Its a busy world.

Phil
Old 11-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #4
Philbo King

You might as well install apps on the C: drive. Most of them require registry entries that only get created by the install program, and most work best there. But the data those programs use, like projects in Reaper, can be anywhere.

To move a Reaper project, open it in Reaper, and use Save As, making sure the Create Directory and Copy All Media boxes are check marked, to save it to a new location. Once you've moved them all you can just delete the old ones.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:46 AM   #5
Not_Here

this method of having the Data drive separate from the OS drive seems to work fairly well also when it comes to keeping performance up to speed too. programs and apps on my SSD (and some samples if I move them there - rarely) but all else on the larger hybrid drive.

However I have been keeping my VST stuff on the OS drive too... I assume that's the way it's done? Are VST's domething that should wgo on the Data drive too? just curious...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
Philbo King

No, I put my VST plugs on a non-OS drive also. The rule of thumb: Only put it on C: if you don't mind losing it.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Not_Here

i just had one of them "microsoft shivers" go up my back at that last comment....

Old 11-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
pjd3

Default allocation for 2nd HD

Hmm. Yeah. I think I'm starting to see the light here.
Apart from conservation reasons it seems that performance can make a step up as well. All sound like good reasons.

Thank you,

Phil
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
i just had one of them "microsoft shivers" go up my back at that last comment....

Yep. Years of bitter experience...
Old 12-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
wolfdogg

Expanding a bit on this thread to using 3 hard drives...

I'm getting a new laptop solely for recording (on the way) with a 500 GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HHD and the laptop has a USB 3.1, for which I already have an external Samsung T5 (500GB).

Reaper install on the C, Reaper project backups on the HHD, plugins and projects on the T5?

Thoughts on the fastest possible configuration? I'm thinking the above or... loading the project files on the NVMe (OS drive) as well, and just backing them up to the HHD. Not sure if I'll see a speed difference either way?
wolfdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
Expanding a bit on this thread to using 3 hard drives...

I'm getting a new laptop solely for recording (on the way) with a 500 GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HHD and the laptop has a USB 3.1, for which I already have an external Samsung T5 (500GB).

Reaper install on the C, Reaper project backups on the HHD, plugins and projects on the T5?

Thoughts on the fastest possible configuration? I'm thinking the above or... loading the project files on the NVMe (OS drive) as well, and just backing them up to the HHD. Not sure if I'll see a speed difference either way?
Seems reasonable.