Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
kenTheriot
Human being with feelings

Default What Is Reaper's Version of "Strip Silence?"

In Pro Tools there is a tool called "Strip Silence" that acts sort of like a noise gate but allows you to preview the regions being silenced and the start/stop points of all regions, etc. I do something similar in Reaper using the Auto-Trim/Split tool. Is that Reaper's closest approximation to Strip Silence? Not counting an actual noise gate, I mean?

Thanks.

Ken
Old 10-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
bradleyfilms

You've got it.
Bear it mind that each item you've created is an instance of the whole item. So you're free to adjust the start and end points, and even do some slip editing if need be.
Steve
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenTheriot View Post
In Pro Tools there is a tool called "Strip Silence" that acts sort of like a noise gate but allows you to preview the regions being silenced and the start/stop points of all regions, etc. I do something similar in Reaper using the Auto-Trim/Split tool. Is that Reaper's closest approximation to Strip Silence? Not counting an actual noise gate, I mean?

Thanks.

Ken
This is called "dynamic split items" in REAPER. It's located under Item menu -> Item processing -> Dynamic split items.

Auto-Trim/Split is NOT comparable to Strip Silence. Dynamic split items is what you want. Works great too.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Skamm Goodiez

probably the only thing that PT is better at
Old 11-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
This is called "dynamic split items" in REAPER. It's located under Item menu -> Item processing -> Dynamic split items.

Auto-Trim/Split is NOT comparable to Strip Silence. Dynamic split items is what you want. Works great too.
Well, maybe I'm really dumb, but I've given up using dynamic split for this.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
kenTheriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post

Curious. What is the reason that Dynamic Split items is comparable but Auto-Trim/Split is not?

Thanks!

Ken
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
BenK-msx

Auto trim split combine with transient detection threshold settings window is absolutely what op is on about. You can use dynamic split but you can def use auto trim split.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
pattste

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Well, maybe I'm really dumb, but I've given up using dynamic split for this.
Same here. They look like they're doing the same thing with the same paremeters yet Dynamic Split cuts my tracks in all the wrong places. I always assumed there was a well-hidden weirdly-named setting somewhere (in typical Reaper fashion) that makes a mess. Auto-trim / split on the other hand works perfectly for me.
pattste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
camerondye

Does anybody have a feature request for the improvement of "Auto-Trim" or "Dynamic Split" to try and get something at least in the direction of Pro Tools. It seems in Pro Tools this works excellent with little to no editing after the fact. I haven't used PT in a while but should we start a discussion on how to suggest on how to make this better???
camerondye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
eoinuser

Split Silence and Beat detective are the coolest things stopping me from switching fully to Pro Tools.
I think reaper needs better tools than current Dynamic Split thing –or I don't know how to use it.
eoinuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #11
serr

FYI, dynamic split is buggy. The screen cap in the linked post shows it and the workaround for it. http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137729
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #12
Magicbuss

So this doesnt work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Z9IO9lMhQ
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #13
Faderjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
yeah.. funny part..watching that video.. drives me crazy because reminds me how that tools works.. I can delete silence myself much faster then using that tool..
Dyanmic Split doesn't work as well as PT's version. I actually haven't tried Auto Trim maybe didn't know of it or think of it.. I usually just do it by had myself.. so I'm zoomed in any way seems faster anyway.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
yeah.. funny part..watching that video.. drives me crazy because reminds me how that tools works.. I can delete silence myself much faster then using that tool..
Dyanmic Split doesn't work as well as PT's version. I actually haven't tried Auto Trim maybe didn't know of it or think of it.. I usually just do it by had myself.. so I'm zoomed in any way seems faster anyway.
Agreed. This really hasnt been a problem for me using manual split but I can see if you're doing Voice over work, or an R&B tune with 50 vocal tracks how proper strip silence would be invaluable.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
vdubreeze

So...has there been any change in this? I just spent an hour trying to find a way to use Dynamic Split to do the very simple task of separating the big chunks of audio from the big chunks of silence, and it simply can't do it. Crazy.

What are the ways to make this happen while remaining in Reaper? (Other than manually)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
serr

Just split the track up into smaller chunks to feed dynamic split if you are being hassled by the bug. It's still light years quicker than manually striping everything! It would probably take me 40 hours to manually strip silence gate kick hits from, say, a 14 song album project. I'll be done within the hour with dynamic split. Since you DO have to watch things as you go and manually intervene here and there, it isn't a big deal to work in 20 or 30 second chunks to work around the bug. You'd almost be doing that anyway. But to stubbornly suggest completely manually editing tracks is quicker is a little absurd.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
karbomusic

I'd be surprised if there isn't a script somewhere for this.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #18
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not sure I'd trust it. That's kind of asking for a lot too!

How do you give it the ability to tell the difference from a loud snare hit bleed in a tom track vs. a quieter tom hit when the bleed is louder than the tom hit in question? For one example.

I think those little manual intervention spots aren't a big deal and you still get big chunks that autosplit correctly to save you a lot of time.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #19
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
if there's not, spk77 has a script that's basically a compressor for envelopes. it sets envelope points based on compression values. it's a great script. there's a gate function as a part of the script that drops the envelope down to a predetermined threshold level. that code could probably be adapted to perform this action. i'd be with you, though, in being surprised if this isn't already in a script someplace.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
How do you give it the ability to tell the difference from a loud snare hit bleed in a tom track vs. a quieter tom hit when the bleed is louder than the tom hit in question? For one example.

I think those little manual intervention spots aren't a big deal and you still get big chunks that autosplit correctly to save you a lot of time.
Because it is called strip 'silence' If it is that noisy then maybe it needs another name.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
BenK-msx

For anyone interested it's called auto trim/split (remove silence) found in actions list.

Cockos inexplicably have it separate from dynamic split and hidden away, I try to flag it up when I can...

Also use the transient detection threshold dialog to aid getting a threshold value.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:52 AM   #22
mlprod

The Auto Trim/Split is a good action.

However it has an irritating bug in that it cannot disable the auto adjust snap offset (despite 0 in the field) but instead it moves the snap offset the same amount of ms as the leading pad. Thats how it is for me at least.
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 AM   #23
bigjoe

As a ten years ProTools user i can say that Dynamic Split tool in GATE mode (not transient) works just like Strip Silence.
The only thing ProTools does better than any other DAW is Editing.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #24
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
As a ten years ProTools user i can say that Dynamic Split tool in GATE mode (not transient) works just like Strip Silence.
My experience is that in gate mode it functions the same but doesn't give accurate results unless you do it on small sections at a time, which defeats the purpose. I have an hour file with chunks of audio, chunks of silence, etc. with nothing shorter or than 4 seconds and none longer than 2 minutes, and I don't wish to have the audio, which has no gaps longer than 1 second, chopped up. DS in gate mode is unable to do the entire file in the manner I designate. If I put it in PT Strip Silence has no problem doing it, but that doesn't help me with what I want, which involves do it in Reaper.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 AM   #25
drichard

We must do different types of editing. I *hate* Pro Tools for editing. Yes, I run the vanilla version, which doesn't include auto-crossfade, and that's a huge factor. Editing without auto-crossfade is like pounding nails with a screwdriver. But the whole paradigm feels inherently wrong to me.

For my work, Samplitude is the very best editor available on the market, and nothing else is close. Reaper is very good for editing, and as I get more used to it I become more comfortable with it. IMO, Studio One is mediocre, PT awful. Those are the products I've done a lot with.

Quote:
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #26
bFooz

Quote:
I do not use Strip Silence in PT that much, but what is wrong with the Dynamic Split in Reaper is that when you set "min slice length" to a big enough value that two adjacent slices should be merged to one, they are not merged and only the first slice in kept. So resulting in stripping of the "sound" area. The solution is to merge overlapping slices.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #27
poetnprophet

...and to think, I've been removing silence the manual way for several years now like a dumbass...

this is definitely the way to go. thanks for the tip!
dave
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #28
Skaven252

Is there any way to limit the silence trimming only to the beginning and the end of the item, and ignore the silence in the middle?

There is an "ignore silence shorter than X" setting in the Auto Trim action, but you have to set it just right to get the right result, which can be troublesome if you have a large batch of items to process.
Skaven252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 AM   #29
Xaos

I know this is a super old thread, but I'm wondering two things.

1. Has the buggy Dynamic Split behavior been fixed? (Not somewhere that I can check at right now.)
2. In Pro Tools, this was a must because PT still uses CPU to process nothing. It would seem to me that REAPER is smarter than that and it isn't necessary to chop up media items just to reduce CPU load. Is there any benefit to chopping up media items in REAPER if there is truly just silence in the track?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2020, 08:19 AM   #30
matkir

it is absolutely necessary to have a proper strip silence tool, especially when you record someone reading a text, and you want to get rid of the breathing and clicks of the mouth. I used it in protools a lot. The reaper version is not really useful (dynamic split). Auto trim/split works much better. I hope Cockos will do some work here to bring both together.
matkir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #31
matkir

Default Auto trim/split

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

Auto trim split combine with transient detection threshold settings window is absolutely what op is on about. You can use dynamic split but you can def use auto trim split.
I agree. Auto split/trim is the right tool. The only thing I miss is the preview (feature request)while adjusting the values like in dynamic split. Than you can remove dynamic split, because it doesn't work at all for recorded voices.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #32
matkir

Default Dynamic split

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkir View Post
it is absolutely necessary to have a proper strip silence tool, especially when you record someone reading a text, and you want to get rid of the breathing and clicks of the mouth. I used it in protools a lot. The reaper version is not really useful (dynamic split). Auto trim/split works much better. I hope Cockos will do some work here to bring both together.
I take everything back. Finally I got it. The main thing is to switch at 'transients' of and leave 'when gate opens' and 'when gate closes' on. Than you get usable results!
Old 06-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #33
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkir View Post
I agree. Auto split/trim is the right tool. The only thing I miss is the preview (feature request)while adjusting the values like in dynamic split. Than you can remove dynamic split, because it doesn't work at all for recorded voices.
I have to agree with this, without a preview makes it a bit odd to use. The Strip silence in PT still works better. Where is the FR ? i´ll add a +1
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #34
valy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
I know this is a super old thread, but I'm wondering two things.

1. Has the buggy Dynamic Split behavior been fixed? (Not somewhere that I can check at right now.)
2. In Pro Tools, this was a must because PT still uses CPU to process nothing. It would seem to me that REAPER is smarter than that and it isn't necessary to chop up media items just to reduce CPU load. Is there any benefit to chopping up media items in REAPER if there is truly just silence in the track?

Thanks!
I was told that Reaper still processes everything on a track, whether there are items there or not.
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
valy

BTW here are my "strip silence" settings for Dynamic Split. Not perfect, but good enough. Usually have to delete a few extra items that don't contain anything useful.

valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:33 AM   #36
Multibomber

When using Spectral Peaks, I can visually see by color which toms are which. For example, my 8" tom is blue when I hit it. The 10" is green, the 12" is purple, the floor tom is orange, the snare is baby blue, etc etc. Some programming genius should make a program where you can select the color from the spectral peaks that you want to keep,and then dymanic split or Auto-Trim/Split will go and cut out everything that isnt color (frequency range).

I bet you this is how Beat Detective works so well
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:28 AM   #37
pepe44

The Cockos devs are working on the area selection, maybe an auto are selection for the Auto trim should be enough for a visualization of the area that will be trimmed ?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote