Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
JohnnyB
Human being with feelings

Default Roland Sound Canvas VA

I'm interested in using the Roland Sound Canvas VA with Reaper 5. Are there any compatibility issues or usage issues when using the two together?
Thanks,
John
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #2
ivansc

Welcome to the forums!

Nope. I used this and the DXi equivalent that was shipped with Sonar as a substitute for my real sound canvas for a LONG time.
Uncertain about win 8-10 compatibility but the DXi still works.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
JohnnyB

Thanks for the info!
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
EvilDragon

I think you misunderstood something, Ivan. He's asking about the recently (well, several months now) released plugin version of Sound Canvas by Roland... this one here: http://www.roland.com/products/sound_canvas_va/

It works fine in Reaper, albeit it with some slight GUI issues...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
ivansc

looks just like MY Roland plugin does. What changed?

I am not talking about the cake version TT1 or whatever it is/was called.
Got that too and IT also works in 10.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:13 AM   #6
EvilDragon

There was a GUI issue when pressing PART/FX/OPTION buttons (things would disappear from the GUI).

Looks like it's been fixed in 5.21pre6/7, though.

I guess I was confused with you mentioning DXi. Sound Canvas VA plugin is VST only. I thought oyu meant the older Edirol VSC plugin.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
ivansc

No - Cakewalk used to bundle the DXi & VST version of the virtual sound canvas and then replaced it with TT1 which was the canvas with a false nose on.

For my sins I have all of them - not that I use any of them that often these days.

Is the actual virtual sound canvas no longer available then?
Old 06-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
michael diemer

I recall the Virtual Sound Canvas, or VSC, from an early Sonar version. Then it seemed to be replaced by the TTS-1. I am not currently able to use that in Reaper, which is unfortunate, because it has the only tuba I like. When I use it, it causes Reaper to crash (the only thing so far to cause a crash). DXI's do seem to be somewhat problematic in Reaper.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
andies1966@@

Default Roland Sound Canvas VA on reaper

Hi guys, I need help. I can't build multichannel routing for output on selected fx (Sound Canvas Va). It says, "Could not get channel info for effects (are they multichannel?). I have 16 channel strip but I can't control the volume of each midi track. I want to built multichannel routing for output in order to adjust the volume of each midi track and I don't know what to do and I'm new on Reaper. Thank you so much.
andies1966@@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
ashcat_lt

The hardware soundcanvas didn't have multichannel output and if the plug is actually faithful, it won't either. Look in the upper right corner of the plugin window it should say something like "X out" and I'd bet that X is actually 2, which means it's only stereo. That's not Reaper's fault and there's nothing to do about it except to add another instance of the plugin for anything you really need separate.

But if you're going that far, I'd suggest you find a better sounding dedicated VSTi for those individual sounds. The SC is OK at a whole lot of things, but not the best at any of them. There are lots of free options for almost any instrument you might dial up on that GM device.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
andies1966@@

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The hardware soundcanvas didn't have multichannel output and if the plug is actually faithful, it won't either. Look in the upper right corner of the plugin window it should say something like "X out" and I'd bet that X is actually 2, which means it's only stereo. That's not Reaper's fault and there's nothing to do about it except to add another instance of the plugin for anything you really need separate.

But if you're going that far, I'd suggest you find a better sounding dedicated VSTi for those individual sounds. The SC is OK at a whole lot of things, but not the best at any of them. There are lots of free options for almost any instrument you might dial up on that GM device.
Thanks ashcat_lt.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #12
andies1966@@

Quote:
Originally Posted by andies1966@@ View Post
Thanks ashcat_lt.
I have another question. When I input midi data like control change of MSB and LSB then program change, (for example: CC 8 (MSB), LSB 0 then program change #3 Piano 3W)on the midi event, when I playback the song, it will go to program change #2 and sometimes it wont show on the sound canvas VA on the the vst plugin. I dont know what I miss. But, when I imported midi file from my Roland MC 80 expanded to Reaper, the program change, cc, etc, it works properly. Because I input system exclusive when I'm making midi files on my Roland MC 80. And know I try to make midi file on reaper and input some midi data, program change, sys exclusive, cc ,etc, it doesn't work properly. thanks and I need some advice.