Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
SteeplyInclined
Human being with feelings

Default Lowest spec computer for Reaper to edit midi only

Hi, Wanting a dedicated new computer just for Reaper...no other external soft synths, FX plugins...etc..not even to use audio wave files ...no recording in...Singularly to compose and edit primarily with Reapers midi only..(will use Reapers own synth and fx)...then either export midi or trigger external hardware..so does anyone have any ideas what spec I should be looking at, eg, processor speeds, ram, etc ? That will get me over the line safely, with a bit to spare...cheers
SteeplyInclined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
domzy

You say it's for MIDI only, but then you mention you "will use Reapers own synth and fx", so it sounds like you will need some audio capability. This is likely to be the main factor affecting performance, how many instances of ReaSynth & FX are you going to want to run?
If it is literally just MIDI and you are triggering external hardware i would expect you could get away with a really low spec machine - windows XP, pentium 4 single core & upwards, for example.
If you need a few instances of ReaSynth & some Fx i would say a core 2 duo or higher with 2gig of ram should be sufficient.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
SteeplyInclined

Thanks Domzy, yeah see what you are saying... even Reapers synth and fx will mount up if let's say I want to use 6 instances plus a few small FX chains..I was just trying to say that I don't want to use any external full on power hungry synths..made me think this, perhaps not even use Reapers synths and only just trigger externally...but seems a bit of a waste..
The reasons for this ? Well I can..and... trying to keep my laptop going just that little bit more..which does have a shedload of stuff on there eg omnisphere etc etc..without having to go through tedious transfers of plugins to a new comp...and liking the idea of a standalone reaper synth..that I can explore it's own in-house stuff more without being tempted by the latest newest softsynth out there..
So what you reckon to portable reaper could that potentially reduce CPU even more ?
Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
domzy

i'm not sure that portable reaper would reduce CPU? i'm not an expert though.
is this related to a desktop or a laptop? I'm not sure i'd trust an old laptop (if we're talking about getting a used one) but desktop's tend to be pretty sturdy in my experience - the sort of specs i was talking about in my first post can be found in free machines from gumtree, freecycle etc.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
SteeplyInclined

Yes I am thinking of a tower again with the idea of hopefully being able to replace parts more easily rather than a laptop...with a decent sized monitor to get stuck into the midi editor better sightwise.as I do most of my work in the midi editor...i do know the sites you mention, so now have better idea re spec..now wondering if reaper portable is merely a size reduction gain rather than a power usage one..and thanks for your reply..