Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-13-2024, 03:22 PM   #1
P. Aaron
Human being with feelings

Default 2 different MIDI controllers No output signal

Yes, both are enabled in preferences, record armed, the track output does not see either MIDI device.

With the source software running, nope.
With source software turned off, nope.

No meter output when pressing keys.

WHAT am I doing wrong?

Does a MIDI controller require a powered USB station?

MAC Big Sur, older but,

I've recorded drum machine, guitar, bass, vocals, no problems.

Reaper ain't seeing either MIDI device when record armed is ON.
P. Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 03:43 PM   #2
domzy

sorry, bit confused by your wording.
you say "track output doesn't see either device" - are you trying to drive external MIDI hardware or did you mean your devices aren't showing as track input?

and when you say it's not seen, do you mean it doesn't show up as a track input at all or it's just not transmitting any data?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 03:49 PM   #3
P. Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
sorry, bit confused by your wording.
you say "track output doesn't see either device" - are you trying to drive external MIDI hardware or did you mean your devices aren't showing as track input?

and when you say it's not seen, do you mean it doesn't show up as a track input at all or it's just not transmitting any data?
Not showing up as a track input and no meter output.

Even if I select a reaper plug in, nothing.

Some suggested having the MIDI controller software booted can cause problems w/Reaper. So, controller booted or not, nothing.

Set up in preferences but not on the track.

Both an Arturia MKII and Akai MK Mini.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #4
domzy

so they are connected via USB, they are listed and enabled in preferences, but when you try to use either as an input for a track they are not listed under the input:MIDI options?

that's very weird.

nothing springs to mind but maybe you could be onto something with the power / hub thing.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 04:26 PM   #5
P. Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
so they are connected via USB, they are listed and enabled in preferences, but when you try to use either as an input for a track they are not listed under the input:MIDI options?

that's very weird.

nothing springs to mind but maybe you could be onto something with the power / hub thing.
Watched my share of MIDI-Reaper videos. None of the setup videos here or on screw-tube mention it.

Anyone else have an idea about the powered USB?
Old 05-13-2024, 10:35 PM   #6
King Stupid

screenshot your midi window and post it here
Old 05-14-2024, 07:02 AM   #7
P. Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Stupid View Post
screenshot your midi window and post it here
What midi window? From preferences of Reaper? The midi preferences?

I'm new at this and frustrated. Don't know what I don't know.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:15 AM   #8
P. Aaron

Now using a powered USB port and same situation, no recognition from Reaper in record. Whether adding a VST effect, it's not seeing the Akai.

Allows for setup in preferences, but when it comes to arming record on a track; nope.

Same situation I experienced with the Arturia.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:18 AM   #9
calsax

Please post screenshots (not phone pics) of your Preferences>Audio>MIDI Devices screen and Preferences>Audio>Device screen. I currently have an Akai MPK Mini on my system, and it works without issues.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #10
elcalen

If your usb device turns on, I would think it should be getting sufficient power. And if it's seen in preferences, I don't think that should be the issue.

Is your track set to input and record midi? Either in the context menu for the arm button, or in the dropdown menus in the track/mixer panel, see that you have the options "Record: input (audio or midi)" and "Input: midi > All midi inputs > All channels". (Other options may work, but those should be good for most usual cases.)

Also double check that Monitor Input is turned on. (The speaker icon next to the arm button, or it can also be accessed in the context menu for the arm button.)

EDIT: also note that the device usually needs to be on and connected when launching REAPER. If it's not, try hitting the "Reset all midi devices" button in Preferences after turning it on.

Last edited by elcalen; 05-14-2024 at 07:36 AM.
elcalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:06 AM   #11
P. Aaron

The best I could do for screen shots. The forum wanted them resized so...

This is 2 from the preferences and one with armed track not showing the Akai as available.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 9.38.51 AM.png (236.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 9.39.09 AM.png (239.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 9.39.00 AM.png (229.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-14-2024, 09:41 AM   #12
elcalen

Can you confirm that the track's input is set to midi, like I asked?

The dropdown menu for that isn't visible in your screenshots, so it may either have been hidden due to the sizing of the track panel or you could have hidden it in the theme adjuster. The option can also found in the context menu for the record arm button (or the menu could be visible in the mixer panel).
Old 05-14-2024, 09:49 AM   #13
P. Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcalen View Post
Can you confirm that the track's input is set to midi, like I asked?

The dropdown menu for that isn't visible in your screenshots, so it may either have been hidden due to the sizing of the track panel or you could have hidden it in the theme adjuster. The option can also found in the context menu for the record arm button (or the menu could be visible in the mixer panel).
THAT's where I would expect to see either midi controller as a selection just like it shows in the numerous videos I've watched involving setup. That's the first screenshot (9.38.51) of the 3 I posted.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:53 AM   #14
elcalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Aaron View Post
THAT's where I would expect to see either midi controller as a selection just like it shows in the numerous videos I've watched involving setup. That's the first screenshot (9.38.51) of the 3 I posted.
That is not the input mode menu in your screenshot. That's the record mode menu. They're two different settings. Like I said, the input mode menu is not visible in your screenshot. Try resizing the track in case it's been hidden due to size, or accessing it by the other means I described.
Old 05-14-2024, 10:35 AM   #15
Stella645

So the Arturia is showing as not available...make sure drivers are installed if required and that it shows in windows device panel.
If not maybe try a new cable or a different usb port.

For the Akai, as said, you're not showing the correct place to select it in the track so hard for us to confirm that you're not just looking in the wrong place.

Right click record button and scroll down to input: midi.....the Akai should be there to select.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 10:52 AM   #16
P. Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
So the Arturia is showing as not available...make sure drivers are installed if required and that it shows in windows device panel.
If not maybe try a new cable or a different usb port.

For the Akai, as said, you're not showing the correct place to select it in the track so hard for us to confirm that you're not just looking in the wrong place.

Right click record button and scroll down to input: midi.....the Akai should be there to select.
Using a MacBook BUT, I think I've found my mistake.

Now, just repetition for a while,

Thank you all.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:25 AM   #17
calsax

I am attaching screenshots of my MIDI Preferences for reference. I think you have set up your MIDI controller to receive MIDI, rather than send it. Take a look and let me know if this helps.

https://stash.reaper.fm/48589/MIDI%20Preferences.zip
Old 05-16-2024, 03:32 PM   #18
PaigeOneill

It sounds like you're having trouble getting your MIDI controllers to work with Reaper. Here are some things you can try:

Check the MIDI settings: Make sure that both MIDI controllers are enabled in Reaper's preferences.

Check the track settings: Ensure that the track output is set to the correct MIDI port.

Restart Reaper: Sometimes, restarting the software can resolve issues.

Update drivers: Make sure that your MIDI controller's drivers are up to date.

Try a different MIDI port: If possible, try connecting your MIDI controller to a different MIDI port on your computer.

Contact support: If none of these steps work, you may need to contact Reaper's support team for further assistance.

It's unlikely that a MIDI controller requires a powered USB station, but it's possible that there's an issue with your computer's USB ports. You can try connecting the MIDI controller to a different USB port or using a USB hub to see if that resolves the issue.
PaigeOneill is offline   Reply With Quote