Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
tomrip
Human being with feelings

Default mixing a metal song

can you guys take a listen and give me recommendations. I really appreciate any advice you have. thanks. tom
http://soundcloud.com/tomrip/darker-days-newest-version
tomrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Juanra-Ortiz

Hey
Nice guitars there. Even though drums in metal tends to be very sampled and inorganic, I think your MIDI drums need more work. It sounds too programmed, too robotic. You might want to change the velocity and time of some snare drums hits, specially the snare (you could try to change the pitch a little bit too). The randomize feature in Reaper will do the work for you. In the mix context, the drums are too low, bring the drums up a bit. Guitars, vocals and bass sounds good. They cut nicely.
Great tune.
Greetings.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
rightonthemark

yeah, the drums need a little work. that randomize feature in reaper might do the trick.
before you bring the drums up i would back off the verse vocal (the growling part) it overpowers the guitar and you don't want that in a metal song. the second vocal part... starting at the .51 mark the vocals are mixed nicely. they lay in the mix a better than the first part.
then tweaking the drum volume up just slightly.
in general it sounds pretty good.
a few tweaks and it should sound great.
rightonthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
T N S

Sounds good.. Personally I would add 1-2 db more drums and sub low bass to the bass drum to add impact.

And the sibilance could use some work to tame some of the sss's

But sounding good! nice job
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
tomrip

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I think i might know the error of my ways. I have been mixing with the music blaring through my monitors. i am going to try to make a mix when i get off work at a lower volume. The drums where causeing a distorion, but they may of been because of how loud it was. I will post my results tonight. thanks again.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Nice riffage.. also really dig the vocals!!!
I would also put the drums a bit more up front..

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
T N S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrip View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I think i might know the error of my ways. I have been mixing with the music blaring through my monitors. i am going to try to make a mix when i get off work at a lower volume. The drums where causeing a distorion, but they may of been because of how loud it was. I will post my results tonight. thanks again.

Volume level is very important, I would say don't go beyond 80-85 db for long periods of time. 90+db for long periods of time can cause hearing damage.

Having broadband room treatment can also help greatly.

good luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
tomrip

https://soundcloud.com/tomrip/darker...et-another-try

well here is newest version. i brought the drums up. i fixed the panning issue at the end of the song, but let me have it. tell me what sucks, and what is good. i really want to get better and accept all criticism.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
T N S

Your tone is on a better track, but your volume mix still needs to be adjusted a bit.

The kick drums are very loud now, and they are dominating the mix. Personally when I mix drums for metal projects, I always try to get the snare and bass drums about the same volume wise. in some cases 1db louder on the bass drums but no more. (making sure you can just barely hear the reverb tails on the snare poking threw the guitars here and there) With the toms about the same level or a nudge higher depending on how much they are used in the song. with the cymbals slightly lower in volume than the rest of the kit and paned l/r the more than the toms. I also create a parent track and add reverb to the whole drums set in one step witch has a gluing effect that creates a so called sense of space or an room.

Personally on your current mix I would add more high eq on the toms to add more stick attack. possibly add compression to the toms with a slow attack to tame the ring.. and match the bass drums to the snare level.

your almost there.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
tomrip

Thank you so much for taking the time and listening, as well as giving me recommendations. I really feel I am close. Listening In the car I notice the things you are talking about. I will work on it tonight. Thanks again. Do you have any metal songs you have mixed online? I would love to listen to them. Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T N S View Post
Your tone is on a better track, but your volume mix still needs to be adjusted a bit.

The kick drums are very loud now, and they are dominating the mix. Personally when I mix drums for metal projects, I always try to get the snare and bass drums about the same volume wise. in some cases 1db louder on the bass drums but no more. (making sure you can just barely hear the reverb tails on the snare poking threw the guitars here and there) With the toms about the same level or a nudge higher depending on how much they are used in the song. with the cymbals slightly lower in volume than the rest of the kit and paned l/r the more than the toms. I also create a parent track and add reverb to the whole drums set in one step witch has a gluing effect that creates a so called sense of space or an room.

Personally on your current mix I would add more high eq on the toms to add more stick attack. possibly add compression to the toms with a slow attack to tame the ring.. and match the bass drums to the snare level.

your almost there.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
tomrip

https://soundcloud.com/tomrip/darker...efully-this-is
brought the drums down. killed most of the ring from the toms. well lets see.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
OpIvy

Sorta liked the ring on the toms, but yeah much better (kick was quite loud)
OpIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
T N S

Much better,

the mix is clear. right now you are in the subjective part of mixing. If you think it sounds great, I would leave it alone. this track has that strong bass drum click sound that is getting popular.. But the snare is kind of buried at some points. To fix this you may need to use automation on the select parts. Depending on what type of mastering route you take some of this will glue together. But if your looking for perfection I may revisit one more time, Nailing the drums in metal is important.

Are you working on a ep?

Personally I have not worked on a metal project in almost a year. Working on a lot of dance music for clients lately. But I can dig up a project from last year.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
kindafishy

Sounds really good here. Those are some pretty deep, dark sounding guitars. I don't currently mix anything that comes close to this modern metal sound, but I'd still be interested in knowing your guitar chain.

There's a lot of great riffs happening in here.

Actually, you know what? I think this is amongst the better modern metal songs I've heard this year (along with a few others from these very forums). I could listen to this a lot.

The vocals are very cool, especially the non-cookie-monster parts. Not big on the cookie-monster stuff. It's way overdone, and the other vocals are much better here. It takes away from every song I hear that has that style of vocal in it, without exception. Just my opinion, of course. It's like the Cher autotune of metal.

Whooo, pretty killer solo too.

Nice job. Sounds really good.
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote