Old 07-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Dafinga
Human being with feelings
 
Dafinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Default My Mind to Time - New all-Reaper tune

Completely composed and mixed in Reaper. This tune is quite a departure for me, being much more down-to-earth than my usual creations - though an experimental element remains - so I am actually extremely curious to know what it sounds like to other ears. All comments welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/da-finga-1/my-mind-to-time
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
jopatius
Human being with feelings
 
jopatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 457
Default

this is what I wrote down when listening to this:

0:29 this is a synth playing acoustic guitar (quantized), right?

0:59 the guitar playing the chords starts to bug me

1:52 not an improvement, too synth-like, this is not realistic orchestration

2:28 not an improvement

2:45 yes this is modulated singing is an improvement, although the "chord guitars" are now just making me nervous

3:43 getting boring

4:05 I'm not a fan of your vocal sound but those effects help a bit

4:38 cheesy synth sound, when do I ever get rid of that "chord guitar" which is a synth now?

6:11 I am really irritated by now

at the end, I felt some relief that it ended
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Dafinga
Human being with feelings
 
Dafinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Default

Thanks so much jopatius for listening and taking the time to comment. I don't often see such critical comments on Reaper, but I welcome these instructive comments. You're right on the money in many cases: I don't play guitar or orchestral instruments (and I don't know much about orchestration) so I had to simulate and in many cases I'm just feeling around in the dark.

0:29 I assume you mean the "guitar" playing chords? Yes, it's Omnisphere. I'm pretty sure I did not quantize it though. I played through quite a number of bars and then copy-pasted. I personally really love its sound and its repetition.

1:52 I know the "cello" is synth-like - I wonder what it would sound like in the hands of an expert.

2:45 that "modulated singing" is just me through a speakerphone effect.

4:38 I feel in love with that synth sound (Omnisphere) and I just had to use it! I do feel like it might be too prominent at times.

Maybe it's a good sign you didn't comment on the drums? Those are fake too (meticulously programmed note-for-note).

If you thought this piece was irritating, try some of the others! They're far worse. (E.g. Overdrive 909+++; Clayed from A Word - especially the end)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
this is what I wrote down when listening to this:

0:29 this is a synth playing acoustic guitar (quantized), right?

0:59 the guitar playing the chords starts to bug me

1:52 not an improvement, too synth-like, this is not realistic orchestration

2:28 not an improvement

2:45 yes this is modulated singing is an improvement, although the "chord guitars" are now just making me nervous

3:43 getting boring

4:05 I'm not a fan of your vocal sound but those effects help a bit

4:38 cheesy synth sound, when do I ever get rid of that "chord guitar" which is a synth now?

6:11 I am really irritated by now

at the end, I felt some relief that it ended
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
jopatius
Human being with feelings
 
jopatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 457
Default

Tried the overdrive 909++. This is what I wrote down when listening to it:

0:10 OK I'm listening

0:28 a lot of germans around here

1:22 does this ever get started?

1:50 still at the intro - I had to take a look - the entire song is 12 minutes or so in lenght. Oh no. But still listening

2:36 that modulation in the synth is not cool

3:47 I guess there are people who consider that hi-hat sound as cool, but...

5:03 there's much more attempt to express something here than in that poppy song.
I can form an hypothesis in my mind that this is what your soul wants to express, and it does not irritate or bug me when listening to this when relating to this in that way.

6:45 this is actually rather peaceful here

7:29 this is getting familiar, like coming back home when hearing this heartbeat - no, headache again

Brian Eno has that one "Music for the airports" which many consider a fantastic piece of music. I have never listened to that (I will some day), but I could imagine that if MftA is "white", then this is "black", yet on the same palette, conforming to some same basic ideas, like lack of melody, the point being the athmosphere that the music creates etc. In that sense this piece of music has earned its right to exist. This is much more than I can say about that poppy piece of yours.

10:29 I think this song will not give me anything new anymore, so stopping here.
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Dafinga
Human being with feelings
 
Dafinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
Tried the overdrive 909++. This is what I wrote down when listening to it:

0:10 OK I'm listening

0:28 a lot of germans around here

1:22 does this ever get started?

1:50 still at the intro - I had to take a look - the entire song is 12 minutes or so in lenght. Oh no. But still listening

2:36 that modulation in the synth is not cool

3:47 I guess there are people who consider that hi-hat sound as cool, but...

5:03 there's much more attempt to express something here than in that poppy song.
I can form an hypothesis in my mind that this is what your soul wants to express, and it does not irritate or bug me when listening to this when relating to this in that way.

6:45 this is actually rather peaceful here

7:29 this is getting familiar, like coming back home when hearing this heartbeat - no, headache again

Brian Eno has that one "Music for the airports" which many consider a fantastic piece of music. I have never listened to that (I will some day), but I could imagine that if MftA is "white", then this is "black", yet on the same palette, conforming to some same basic ideas, like lack of melody, the point being the athmosphere that the music creates etc. In that sense this piece of music has earned its right to exist. This is much more than I can say about that poppy piece of yours.

10:29 I think this song will not give me anything new anymore, so stopping here.
I can't believe you listened to Overdrive 909+++! I'm even more surprised that you actually had good things to say about it. I laughed when you recognized the voices in the intro as German! That sample is from about 20 years ago, some bizarre German monologue that begins with schizophrenic muttering - I know some German, but not enough to make out any German words in the muttering! Anyway, Overdrive 909+++ is kind of there because it has to be - it's something I made a long time ago, an ode to hard core gabba. I spent a lot of time mixing it recently, to try and make it as good as possible. In the end, I am pleased. For what it is, it as I wanted it.

Actually, the same principles that you might find Eno-esque (which is of course flattering) in this tune are present in all the others: extreme repetition, noise, drones, and meandering that forces the listener to either scream or relinquish all anticipation of development (hear these applied to the extreme in "Clayed from A Word").

The difference with "My Mind to Time" is that these elements are more subtle, enveloped in something more standard. Perhaps they appear more annoying because some of the instruments producing them are synth guitars (like the repetitive strumming), which are typically not that repetitious. Based on your comments, it seems like these were the very elements that were putting you off so much - whereas I hear them as secondary or hypnotic, and experience much more the melodic phrasing and progressions, which I am quite pleased with. This is all around a much more mature tune. Also, the lyrics were about a subject that meant something to me (denial of one's bad habits); in the end, this is a much more refined track than Overdrive 909+++, which is a silly headbanging or party song in comparison (like most tracks from this genre).

Thank you so much for listening to my tracks, and for your honest comments. I really am taking them to heart.
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
martifingers
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,819
Default

Fair play to you and jopatius for a really open interchange.

My own reaction was that the piece (my-mind-to-time I am talking about) hovered too closely to being repetitive for no good purpose and certainly did not make it easy to relate to what you were trying to say. And the mix itself seemed somehow to hinder the emotional effect of some of the playing rather than enhance it. It was odd in a way cos there is ample evidence that you have good musical chops eg the little chromatic lift around 6.12 and the playing throughout.

Also I actually liked the vocal effect and the drums were fine under the mix.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Dafinga
Human being with feelings
 
Dafinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
Fair play to you and jopatius for a really open interchange.

My own reaction was that the piece (my-mind-to-time I am talking about) hovered too closely to being repetitive for no good purpose and certainly did not make it easy to relate to what you were trying to say. And the mix itself seemed somehow to hinder the emotional effect of some of the playing rather than enhance it. It was odd in a way cos there is ample evidence that you have good musical chops eg the little chromatic lift around 6.12 and the playing throughout.

Also I actually liked the vocal effect and the drums were fine under the mix.
I'm assuming you mean the musical lines themselves are repetitive; because structurally as a whole the piece is not repetitive. If you're talking about 6:12 and musical chops, do you mean my guitar playing? But there is no guitar in the piece. The distorted guitar sound around 6:12 is the same strummed guitar (which is synthetic) fed through a wild amp effect. There is not much actual playing in the song actually, to be honest. Thanks for listening and for the comments though!
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.