Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
bitterkitten
Human being with feelings

Default converting 1/4" TRS to TS

I feel like I've run across this problem before... the problem being, if I have a TRS cable, and then put a radio-shack type adapter on it, it just doesn't work. Theoretically, I figure, it should work, or they wouldn't sell these adapters. I realize that the adapter could be at fault, which is why over the years I've collected a few different brands.

Any ideas? I guess at this point I should just throw in the towel and accept the fact that I need to own a variety of balanced-to-unbalanced cables for these occasions that I need such a thing. In this case, for example, I'm trying to send the outs of my mic pre, which are XLR, to an FMR RNC, which according to their manual will not accept a TRS input unless it's an insert cable.

thx reaper peeps
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
bitterkitten

Well I just talked to the nice guys at FMR.. apparently my understanding that simply converting "1/4 stereo to 1/4 mono" does not a TRS-to-TS adapter make.

So, does such a thing exist? If so, would it be labelled as such? (And if so, then, I guess I've never seen one).
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Andy Hamm

Pin 1 on the xlr is ground, pin 2 is hot. You can either try connecting pin 3 to ground, or leave it floating, results vary from unit to unit. I just leave pin 3 floating by default.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
bitterkitten

Andy - my knowledge of cables n such is pretty limited... it's unlikely I would jack with cable construction myself. I'm probably going to just buy a couple XLR to 1/4" unbalanced cables online.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
ronmac

If you study this page from Rane I am sure that you will find the answer to your question. http://www.rane.com/note110.html
ronmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkitten View Post
Andy - my knowledge of cables n such is pretty limited... it's unlikely I would jack with cable construction myself. I'm probably going to just buy a couple XLR to 1/4" unbalanced cables online.
The problem with having a universal TRS to TS adapter is TRS plugs are used for more than one thing.

Stereo headphones:
T: A
R: B
S: common

Balanced audio:
T: Hot
R: Cold
S: Ground

Many adapters short the tip and sleeve (for mono to twin mono/stereo, works at a pinch in reverse) This will short the hot and cold lines of a balanced feed.

Some just ignore the Ring (open cct). Some short it to the Sleeve (sometimes putting a TRS plug in a TS socket will do either of these).

Decide what you want to do, eg hot to Tip, Cold shorted to ground and then make your own up using some FST cable and Neutrik connectors. I have a tray full of stuff like this on my live rigs that I've made for adapting anything to anything and it's a real "get out of jail free" card.

I ususally adapt from a connector to M-XLR and F-XLR, and then I can use mic leads or XLR looms to give me any length I need, and I can join any connector to any other connector using XLR as the common medium. I hate solid adapters (except M-M and F-F XLR for gender changing) as they mechanically strain sockets they hang out of, so I usually make 12" or 24" adapter leads.

My TRS are T-Hot (XLR2), R-Cold (XLR3), S-Ground (XLR1)
My TS are usually T-Hot (XLR2) and S-Cold+Ground (XLR3+1)

I have 2.5 & 3.5mm minijack, Bantam, Standard (Type A) plug +jack (TS and TRS), Jackfield (Type B) plug, Phono (RCA), speakon and even 5-pin DIN adapters, All to M-XLR and F-XLR. I have a lot of TRS to XLR to go from console auxiliary ins and outs, direct outs, insert ins and outs, etc. I can usually patch anything to anything this way

>
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
shredzone

Default 1/4" TS -> 1/4" TRS

Do I need an adaptor? I have a Furman PB40 patchbay and it says in the manual that one can insert either a TS or TRS cable. Please advise. If I do need an adaptor are the Hosa ones good?
shredzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredzone View Post
Do I need an adaptor? I have a Furman PB40 patchbay and it says in the manual that one can insert either a TS or TRS cable. Please advise. If I do need an adaptor are the Hosa ones good?
The patchbay is just basically straight wire between the jacks. As long as the cables on both sides (to and from the patchbay, and I guess any patch cables you use) then you don't need an adapter.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
partonkevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredzone View Post
You probably should have started a new thread for this question with a few specifics of what you need to do...BUT the PB40 was available in a few configurations, so you have to make sure of the exact one that you have. If you are using it to patch TRS equipment together with TS equipment, then you will PROBABLY be fine. If you are interfacing TRS to TRS, or TS to TS, then you WILL be fine.

AS a side note, I've used a PB40 to mult headphones and used it as a connection panel for monitor feeds and headphone feeds.

As for adapters...I have several HOSAs. They are okay in a pinch, but they aren't really great. The price point is good on them, but quality is marginal.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I ususally adapt from a connector to M-XLR and F-XLR, and then I can use mic leads or XLR looms to give me any length I need, and I can join any connector to any other connector using XLR as the common medium. I hate solid adapters (except M-M and F-F XLR for gender changing) as they mechanically strain sockets they hang out of, so I usually make 12" or 24" adapter leads.
This exactly. For years. In fact, many of them are made out of Hosa cables.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote