Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #1
vsthem
Human being with feelings

Default Recording 2 different mics as a stereo track, editing, splitting at the end

I'm going to be recording myself tracking violins and violas for a friend's project, and I want to give the mixing engineer two mics to play with. I'm going to have a lot of punch ins, edits, etc, and I want to make that as simple as possible. I also use Track Inspector's track versions instead of the built in lanes.

The idea occurred to me that I could possibly just record the two mic positions as a stereo track, do all my punch ins and edits, and then split the file back into two mono files to send the engineer.

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work? I'd really like to keep the session moving quickly, and I've never worked with edit groups inside of Reaper before, so this seems like the simplest solution, but I want to make sure that the two sides would remain independent and be able to be split back at the end.

Thanks for any help you all can offer!
vsthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #2
bachstudies

An obvious point, but couldn't you ask the mixing engineer what their preference would be?
bachstudies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #3
bachstudies

Plus, the answer to this question rests on how the violins and violas will feature in the final mix.
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM   #4
vsthem

It's a string quartet. I'll be tracking myself playing violin 1,2, and Viola, and I'll be recording the cellist separately. I have 2 mics that I like on strings, but would like to give the missing engineer options. I've done quite a lot of this professionally, but never with reaper, and I want to make sure that DAW stuff doesn't slow me down when the composer is with me in my studio
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #5
bachstudies

Ok, my misunderstanding. The best advice I can give, in that case, is to do a trial run with some of your own material or improvising. If you are worried about workflow there's no substitute for going through the motions ahead of a critical session. I do it whenever I get a new "toy".
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #6
vsthem

Can anyone chime in about the technical question though?
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #7
ashcat_lt

IDK for sure what the question is. Of course you can do it and yes it’s a pretty good idea. People do it for multiple mics on drum kits all the time.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #8
bachstudies

I don't understand why you can't just do a standard DAW (and Reaper) thing by recording two mono (I assume) tracks and group the items post-recording for any linked slicin' and dicin'. Everything stays in sync and you can easily export both tracks separately.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #9
Stella645

Yes it will work....making multi channel audio files is a common trick for multi mic edits if any warping is involved and keeps absolute phase coherence which typical group editing doesn't always seem to do.....Though I haven't tested this with Reaper.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #10
bachstudies

Talk about overthinking this! It reminds me a little of that infamous Sound-on-Sound article about parallel compression in which the writer ended up using 7 (yes, SEVEN) compressor instances in parallel. It turns out he only needed one at a higher level to achieve the exact same thing.

If you are worried about workflow in the presence of a composer, for goodness' sake, keep it simple. Do you have a plan for when he asks to hear one microphone but it is panned all the way to one side?
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #11
ashcat_lt

If one was actually worried about that (hearing only one mic), they’d probably send each channel of the one track they’re recording on either to their own tracks or to the monitor bus via separate sends.

Item grouping is weird with all kinds of caveats and potential pitfalls. Recording and manipulating one multichannel item is pretty much foolproof.
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #12
vsthem

Thanks Ashcat! Glad to know that other people utilize this as well. I ran into problems with Cubase where the tracks would inexplicably stop being grouped together while editing, and it was a mess. It seems to me that keeping both tracks as one file is the simplest and most error proof way to do this...the opposite of overthinking it IMO. Was just hoping to hear that I'm not the first person to think of this trick and that it's used by others.

I'll show the composer what each mic sounds like before we get started, and it'll be easy enough to copy the track over and split it if he wants to hear an individual mic for something while we're doing it.

And yes, I'll probably practice by recording myself, thus practicing the engineering side of things at the same time.

Thanks all!
Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM   #13
bachstudies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Item grouping is weird with all kinds of caveats and potential pitfalls.
If you say so. It's never bothered me once since using the feature across multiple DAWs since the early 2000s. Routing sends/receives in my book is something that can far greater consequences if you lose track of where things are going and whether they are being doubly sent direct to the master bus.
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #14
bachstudies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthem View Post
And yes, I'll probably practice by recording myself, thus practicing the engineering side of things at the same time.
Excellent. If you run into any issues make sure you give yourself enough time to figure it out i.e. not the morning of the recording
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #15
vsthem

Yeah, I usually do this remotely for composers. It'll be different with them in the room for sure
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #16
bachstudies

Best of luck with everything! You'll have to report back on how things went...
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #17
ashcat_lt

I can’t say that I’ve ever been smart enough to do it in a session...

I don’t often end up editing in front of people, but honestly a lot of times my job would be easier if I did just record one multitrack file for the whole band.

Routing is easy and if we’re talking about setting it up ahead of time, that can all be shaken out before the client shows up.