Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
bmanic
Human being with feelings

Default How do I organize reaper time stamped .rpp-bak files effectively?

How do I organize reaper time stamped .rpp-bak files effectively? Right now when I save over my old song save, I have reaper creating a time stamped backup. However, all these backup files are spamming the main song directory. I'd like each save go into a subfolder within the main song folder, called " Old Saves ".

Basically I'd like the main folder to be neat and tidy, containing only the current save. Audio already goes into an audio files folder but these backups are driving me crazy.

Anybody already done a feature request on this that I can vote on? Or is there a way to do this?

Cheers!
bManic
bmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
bmanic

Bump!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
timlloyd

There's no way to do this yet!

It's insane!!!

There's a link in my sig ... make some noise in the thread
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
bmanic

Damn! Well made some noise in your thread.

I wish Cockos would dedicate a few months in "cleaning up" the user experience now that Reaper 4 is released. I know it is much less exciting than adding new features but like they say, the devil is in the details.

Reaper already does so many things that polishing it should be a high priority at some point, aka "The small stuff".
Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
timlloyd

Absolutely. For all we know, they might be doing it now-ish

*fingers crossed*
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
daveyajd

I used a method to work around this. When setting up my timestamped backups I created a separate folder called Timestamped Backups and directed them to save there. This folder gets really cluttered but if I ever need a backup sorting through it is a small price to pay. I guess you could go in and manually drag them to a folder created for each song if you wanted.
daveyajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
bmanic

Eh? How to you make reaper save the time stamped backups to a specific folder? I thought that was one of the main problems.

You can force the AUTOSAVE backups to a folder but NOT the backup files which are created when you save over the old save file. Those you have to keep moving around manually, which is highly annoying.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
bitterkitten

so, the autosave backups always go to either
1. the project folder of the project, with all the other files - or
2. another directory, unrelated to the project - in which ALL files that are backed up from EVERY project go, if you so choose - correct?

'Cause yep, it would be also nice if you could set the bak files go into a subfolder of each individual project folder automagically.

Instead of sorting them all, I guess you could just change the backup folder every time you do a new project, but that would assume you never switch between projects until one is totally done. ; )
bitterkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Marah Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterkitten View Post
so, the autosave backups always go to either
1. the project folder of the project, with all the other files - or
2. another directory, unrelated to the project - in which ALL files that are backed up from EVERY project go, if you so choose - correct?
Not quite. It's not either 1 or 2, it's either 1 or 2 or both. And each has its own option to save the .rpp-undo file.

I keep both on, and have it set to auto save every 1 minute in proper OCD fashion. (Though I have relaxed that when I've suspected it might be interfering with other processes.)

And I think I've noticed, but haven't tried to confirm, that having the undo option turned on for 2 takes a long time and can briefly freeze screen redraws.

Would be nice to be able to specify a project subfolder for baks. They do clutter things up.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Billoon

I requested an action a while ago to save a timestamped project file so that as you 'Save' the project file proper you don't end up with a multitude of indistinguishable .bak files, just a few judiciously chosen ones.

No luck yet.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Marah Mag

Timestamp options and wildcard support should be standard on ALL dialogs that save ANYthing to disk.

It's nearly 2012.

The options on Reaper 4's render dialog are a good start. They could use some improvement and UI simplification, and then should be added to all other dialogs.
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:47 AM   #12
soundpebbles

Hi guys,

I was looking for the same solution to the thread in question. It's 2017 now. Anyone has come for solution to this?

regards,
SP
soundpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #13
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundpebbles View Post
Hi guys,

I was looking for the same solution to the thread in question. It's 2017 now. Anyone has come for solution to this?

regards,
SP
https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#JngUQ7MUEEg

hth
o_e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
lowellben

This does not solve the issue.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #15
Mordi

I have to set to save all backups in a dedicated "Backups" folder, which I have placed next to the "Projects" folder. Every now and then I delete my backups.

I think this workflow is alright, but has some room for improvement since files must be removed manually to avoid piling up.
Mordi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM   #16
Philbo King

They are already time & date stamped by the OS. But that often gets changed if you copy them, to the time/date the copy was made.
It would be fairly trivial to write a small utility to rename them with the file creation date appended to the filename and move them to a subdirectory chosen or created by the user.

I agree it would be nice to have a preferences option have Reaper do that automatically, though its not crucially important. It may be possible to create a JS script and tie an action to do the save , then run it, to the save key. Or something.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #17
karbomusic

Quote:
But that often gets changed if you copy them, to the time/date the copy was made.
Modified date should not change but Create date will - because a new file was created but modified. I've depended on modified date for this for years.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:12 AM   #18
thelastbencher

Default Still no fix ?

I've just started using Reaper and was going through the search to see if this problem is solved. Alas, its not. I guess we simply have to wait.
thelastbencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:07 AM   #19
ArtemiHo

okay, 9 years passed, any solution?
ArtemiHo is offline   Reply With Quote