Old 01-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Rickyneg
Human being with feelings

Default Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library Error

hello all.
I use windows 10 and all of a sudden my 5.99 version of Reaper won't load, says there is a runtime error.

Can anyone help with this?
Rickyneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
Philbo King

This is usually due to a plugin whose installer neglected to download the C++ runtime library. Try downloading the version of the runtime (which is usually) specified in the error message.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyneg View Post
I use windows 10 and all of a sudden my 5.99 version of Reaper won't load, says there is a runtime error.
This means a C++ exception occurred and wasn't caught by the culprit module. REAPER itself doesn't use them I'm pretty sure, so it's probably a plugin. Do you have REAPER configured to load the previous project at startup? Try holding Ctrl+Shift down when starting REAPER to load a blank project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
This is usually due to a plugin whose installer neglected to download the C++ runtime library.
The error message came from the runtime. The message would say "This program can't start because <some .dll> is missing from computer." if it was not found.

Last edited by cfillion; 01-03-2020 at 11:30 PM.
cfillion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Rickyneg

The first warning points to a song file (A Dream.RPP). The actual runtime error warning points to a Reaper.exe, for any version. No mention of any module.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
DarkStar

OK, what plug-ins are used in that project?

Then, start a new project, load those plug-ins one at a time until you get a crash. That should identify the problematic plug-in.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Rickyneg

How do I get the list if I can't open the project? Same thing happens with my backups. I can open a new project, but how does that help? With up to 14 channels, I can't remember the plug ins or effects.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
DarkStar

^^^^
Find the project file on disk and open it in a text editor.

Or, open the project from the [File] > "Open project" dialogue, with the "Open with FX offline" check-box enabled. Then bring the FX online, one at a time until you find the problematic one.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
Evertschut

Default similar error

My problem is similar. when I open up Reaper I get the same error message:

"The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer."

And by the way, I get it when trying to install certain plugins as well (I'm moving stuff to another desktop). In particular when trying to install Native Access!

Now I understood already it is a file that has something to do with Visual C++ which some plugins use. So I tried an update for Visual C++, but it did't help.

I have a suspicion where things are going wrong, more from experience with things going wrong with missing computer files than any understanding of what's going on.... Here's the story:I bought a rather old but quite functional desktop (second generation i5 running on 3.4 Ghz) with an even older RME setup. The previous owner left enough on the computer to test it before adding my own stuff and was running much better than my i7 (4th generation) which has been giving me trouble for years. No more latency issues! It's set up with windows 7 professional 64 bit, possibly running without even the service packs, because it was a stricktly off line
computer. I will run it that way too, except for when I need to be online to add a lisence code or whatever for a plugin. Some plugins just won't let you install offline....

So here 's my suspicion: I need a newer C++ api - whatever file which will only work with a later version of windows 7.
Is that a good guess?

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited by Evertschut; 01-21-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Evertschut is offline   Reply With Quote