Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 12-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
hydr0
Human being with feelings

Default On-Board Yamaha MX49/61 voice list - MIDI and audio recording

Hey guys, recently bought an MX49 as a larger MIDI controller but am really impressed with the onboard samples. I want to record them as MIDI data but hear the note playback as well when I click on them, just like on a VST, to edit the MIDI notes. Unfortunately, I bought mine as a store display item without any boxes/hard copy manuals/downloads and Yamaha tells you to use Cubase AI to record onboard voices. Figuring out how to do this same thing in Reaper is giving me trouble, especially with MIDI thru and installing the voice list on my PC. But as far as hardware goes I think its correctly set up. Here are the two parts from the Reference Manual PDF for Cubase:

MIDI section:

Audio section:

Of course this would be great if I had Cubase. I'm not sure how to do the equivalent on reaper. I have set up the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver as seen here

And I have the MIDI input and MIDI output set to the MX49 (I guess the closest thing to "MIDI thru."

Not quite sure what to do from here... there's no FX to select for the MX49 nor do I know how to complete step 3 on the Audio section. Reaper doesn't have separate MIDI and audio tracks and I don't know how to route them to each other. There's also no way to install the MX49 voice list onto Reaper like on Cubase.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
hydr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
DarkStar

That set-up looks OK to me (are the audio input and output device names really the same?). But what do your MIDI devices look like in the Preferences?

All you need to do now is click Record and play your keyboard - the MIDI will come into the track, get recorded and sent out on the selected MIDI hardware output.

To pick the 'right' voice on the synth you can add ReaControlMIDI to the track (right-click the TCP and select 'MIDI track controls' or add a Program Control Message to your recorded MIDI clip. Either way you'll probably want to build a .reaBanks file so that you are working with patch names not numbers.

Details of all the above are in the User Guide.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
DarkStar

PS That looks like a lot of hard work in Cubase
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
hydr0

It was a lot more hard work for Reaper. I had to type up my own reabank file and it's still not finished... but at least 384 voices are in!

ReaControlMIDI seems to be working fine, selecting the voice in the FX window does change it on my MX49, along with the pitch and mod wheels.

MIDI notes do get recorded nicely, and I hear the audio but only when plugged into the MX49 itself. How do I get the actual audio onto a Reaper track? More specifically, a way of opening up the MIDI editor, clicking on one of the notes and getting to hear the note preview?

Here's a look at ReaControlMIDI so far:

Old 12-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
DarkStar

You would need to connect the audio output form the hardware to your computer. enable that as the Audio input device in Reaper and select that device as the input on another track (RecArm, Input Monitor etc).

ReaInsert would be an alternative method (have a look in the User Guide, 3,35).
Old 12-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
hydr0

At the moment, the only thing that is connecting the MX49 to the PC is the USB cable. By audio output do you mean the 1/4" jack on the back of the synth? Would I then have to use an aux cord to send the signal to my PC?
Old 12-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr0 View Post
...I had to type up my own reabank file and it's still not finished... but at least 384 voices are in!...
Hi hydr0,
how is it going with the reabank? Can you export or save it as a txt-file from the manual? I can help you creating the reabank by editing the pdf (get rid of grafics stuff and export it). No need for typing it in by hand.
Let me know if you want some help!

Peter

[Edit:] I found some files about the MX49 and now have a plain txt-file with more than 1100 Voices. You can have it, if you want, anyway I will have a closer look at the BankChange/Controller messages the MX49 needs to switch the sounds to make a proper reabank.

[Edit 2:] Try this version I uploaded in the stash:https://stash.reaper.fm/v/29300/YamahaMX49.reabank (Deleted, see post #15)

Last edited by Pet; 01-08-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
DarkStar

Quote:
At the moment, the only thing that is connecting the MX49 to the PC is the USB cable. By audio output do you mean the 1/4" jack on the back of the synth? Would I then have to use an aux cord to send the signal to my PC?
I do not know the synth, so you'll need to look at its User Guide to find the output to use and the type of cable.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #9
John Allsup

Default I have an MX49

First, the manuals:

http://www.motifator.com/storage/sup...1_en_rm_a0.pdf (ref manual)
http://www.motifator.com/storage/sup...1_en_dl_a0.pdf (data list)

Then bear in mind that to record audio from the MX49, it must be set as your audio input interface.

The quick setup (UTILITY->JOB->Quick Setup) settings are worth remembering. Usefully one setting lets you record the output of the arpeggiator.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #10
Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Allsup View Post
I have an MX49
Hi John,
would you mind checking if the ReaBank I posted above ((Deleted, see post #15)) works with ReaControlMidi correctly? That would be great!

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Last edited by Pet; 01-08-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
hydr0

I've been busy lately, so I haven't spent much time on the MX49 but big thanks to everyone for all the help.

John, the utility job function is set to "DAW REC" each time before trying to record in Reaper.

Pet, trying your reabanks file, it does not properly line up with the MX49's voice selection, practically any patch choice is wrong. This is due to the Data List PDF not placing the bank MSBs and LSBs in order.

I couldn't login properly to the Reaper Stash so I had to use dropbox, but if you want here is my reabanks file, keep in mind that the banks have custom names, based on whatever groups of patches stood out to me. Messing around with inputs and outputs have gotten to the point where I can record direct audio from the MX49 and back, albeit with having to switch ASIO drivers from Steinberg to ASIO4ALL before hearing playback on my headphones. However, I am terrible at playing the keyboard so MIDI is much more important.

Reabanks file link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb6czrnxgf...1.reabank?dl=0
Old 12-30-2016, 07:06 PM   #12
Pet

@hydro, honestly I'm not surprised that it didn't work, but some time it will...
Afaik, REAPER doesn't necessarily need the numbers lined up in order, but I will try to figure that out.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Pet

@hydro, sorry for the confusion, my first goal was to save you from typing all the voices by hand. When I was finished with that, I decided to add some Banks without looking closely, what the MX needs to switch correctly. This was dump and was causing more confusion than anything else.
I fixed that in the current version, so download it again please: https://stash.reaper.fm/29300/YamahaMX49.reabank (Deleted, see post #15)

Some details about the sorting: the MX recognizes the BankChanges by the LSB value. The first (MSB) has always to be 63, so the ReaBank entry would start with "Bank 63 0 PIANO" and according to the voice list/category continue with "Bank 63 0 KEYBOARD". "Bank 63 1 GUITAR" will open the guitar bank, drum voices are recognized by LSB 32.
And it does not matter, if the voices are numbered ascending from 0 to 127, the first number counts and sends the ProgramChange so the list can be sorted as it is within the MX49.

But there is one thing that ReaBanks can not do: building Subcategories or SubBanks. In the Organs Bank both LSB 1 and 2 are used. So I would suggest to build separate banks for voices that use other LSB values within the category depending on your workflow/needs.
You can name it like I did in the last bank: e.g. =>PADS

And you can rename the voices like this:
  • Arp:Roundabout
  • TnWhl:Tradi
  • TnWhl: Petit
  • TnWhl: Fluty
  • Pipe: Fluty Pipe
  • Pipe: St. Peter

I found this here: http://www.crestonhall.com/music/dlmotifxs.php
This is a cakewalk instrument definition file that REAPER can read too. It's close to the MX49 and for testing it could be helpful.

Another thing to mention: there are several voices within the banks with both MSB&LSB 0. These are the sounds used by the GM Standard.
I copied these as last bank and suggest, to remove them from the other banks.
But first have a look, what happens, if you recall voice #006 "C Grand Piano" from the ReaBank.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Peter

[Edit:] BTW, thanks for uploading your file, it gave me an impression, of your workflow

Last edited by Pet; 01-08-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
hydr0

@pet, the Motif Cakewalk file works pretty well so far, I haven't run into any patches that don't line up yet.

Your updated reabanks file does not work, after testing the regular banks and the GM bank. The GM bank is offset by one patch, sometimes two, but overall it is very similar to the old file. I didn't know that General MIDI had the same patches for all instruments, also checked the MIDI website to see exactly what you meant. Thought they were MX49 exclusive!

Happy New Year to you too.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #15
Pet

Default Good!

Quote:
@pet, the Motif Cakewalk file works pretty well so far, I haven't run into any patches that don't line up yet.
Stash file therefore deleted.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #16
hydr0

Hey guys, it's been a few months and I've finally got some time to continue figuring this out.

How do you use ReaControlMIDI and the associated audio/MIDI routing to actually use the MX49's voices, and hear the note previews while in the MIDI editor (with my headphones still plugged into my PC)?

There's sort of a work - around but a problem still arises from it.

The MX 49 is on, DAW record mode is set up on it, and Reaper is switched to Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver in Audio Device Preferences. The MX49 is put as both MIDI and Audio Hardware outputs on a track. When headphones are plugged into the MX49, I can hear everything just fine and even clicking on notes causes that particular note to be heard in the piano roll.

However if I render a completed track with only this MIDI, there's no point in using the MX. Switching back to ASIO4ALL, plugging the headphones back into the PC causes nothing from the MX to be heard.

I've taken a look at ReaInsert but everything is still confusing.

Last edited by hydr0; 03-17-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: More details
Old 12-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #17
Pet

Default new reabank in stash

There's a new MX49 reabank in the stash (by "pencheff"): https://stash.reaper.fm/v/32408/Yamaha_MX49.reabank.
I've coincidently noticed it, maybe it's useful for somebody.
Alas I did not find a thread about it.

Peter

Last edited by Pet; 12-07-2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Title added