Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
jimmyjazz
Human being with feelings

Default Saving EQ or other effects settings

I tracked a dozen or so tunes for my old guy band and I'm pretty happy with the sounds. I've found some basic EQ and panning settings for the drums (2X OH, kick, snare) that have worked across a couple of tunes, and I'd rather start there on every track from now on instead of having to dial it all in manually.

How do I save a particular custom EQ setting (ReaEQ)? I assume this will work for ReaVerb, etc.?

Thanks in advance . . .
jimmyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
hopi

there are several ways to do that

One is in the UI window for ReaEQ, you can add and save a preset that you give a name to...

you can of course do more than one... so like presets can be saved for My fav drum EQ, My great drum EQ, etc.

Then, lets say you have more than just EQ on a given track... you can save all the FX on that track as an FX Chain, which also allows you to give it your own name... and it will load back up exactly as you left it...
So again, you can make as many of those as you like...

And then, you can save Track Templates, which will include all the FX and you can also include the items currently on the track, or choose to not include them.

So then later, lets say you start a new project, and want a few tracks that you saved as templates... you just drag and drop them into the new project... and you are ready to roll all fresh and new

which brings us to maybe the last idea, create an project exactly as you want it to start a new project with, and save that as a Project Template...

Just remember this: If you do start up a new project by calling up a saved Project Template... the FIRST thing to ALWAYS do is a Save As of that project to it's own location and name.... so you don't accidentally overwrite the templates you have made and saved.... right?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
jimmyjazz

Awesome, great answer. I just wanted to clear the spiderwebs and make sure I had the best advice. I think I'll start out by saving 4 EQ presets (L OH, R OH, Kick, Snare) and then get fancy.

More stupid questions to come!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
jimmyjazz

Speaking of stupid questions, just so I don't have to start any more threads than necessary:

Are ReaEQ and ReaVerb pretty good starting points for cheap (free) reasonably pro effects, or am I missing out on something? I have the Bricasti M7 'verb patches so I think I have a good selection of classic impulse responses. This project is definitely not calling for crazy effects, just good old classic reverb, comp and EQ.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
ivansc

Reaverberate is pretty good, too.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #6
slipstick

Yes, most of the Cockos effects are pretty good. ReaEQ, ReaComp, ReaVerb and ReaDelay I use a lot.

Another free FX set worth looking at, if only for a change and provided you're on Windows, are the Dead Duck effects http://deadducksoftware.blogspot.co.uk/ The DD Channel strip is convenient and they all sound very reasonable.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
jimmyjazz

Thanks, I'll check those out.

I need to find whatever threads get into common usage of these things. The possibilities are endless. I'm used to just having a box or two! LOL.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
emarsk

Your ears are the best judge for your tastes of course.
In my opinion, every other Reaper plugin is good or excellent, but ReaVerbate and the reverb generator in ReaVerb are terrible (its convolution engine is fine, though).
My favourite reverb is Oril River, and it's gratis.
You can find more here, if you're interested: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
emarsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #9
jimmyjazz

Thanks, I only use the convo on ReaVerb. I'll check out the other plugin.

Can anyone point me to thread(s) where people talk about choices and settings for certain sounds (drum bus comp, slapback vocal 'verb, etc.)?