Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #41
RobinGShore
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Bring 'em on

Seriously, please do feel free to post any and all bugs, nitpicks, requests, the software will only get better from your kind and generous effort.
Okay, you asked for it. Here's my in depth report, sorry if this is a little scattered :

As I said last night everything was pretty stable once I figured out not to open sessions from within Reaper. I played around with things a little more today and I did get one instance where Reaper froze and I needed to force quit. The freezes happened when I was switching back into Reaper from another application.

Creating a new track sometimes (though not always) causes Reaper to hang for a second or so as the controller updates. Not a showstopper, but I could see this getting pretty annoying if I needed to add a bunch of tracks on the fly. The LED display on the controller updates almost instantly when renaming a track, but if I delete tracks the controller won't update and the deleted tracks will continue to show until I close and reopen Reaper

In general almost all the functions of the controller seem to work on a basic level. Most of the buttons do what would I expect and the parameters all display correctly on the LED screen. If I leave my tracks in trim/read mode everything works the way I would want it to. Once I put my tracks into touch, write, or latch mode and start trying to use the controller to record automation I start running into problems.

Writing automation in touch mode doesn't really work at all. It seems like the software does not detect when I leave my finger on the faders, so my envelopes keep fighting the movement and trying to go back to their initial state, which results in really jagged, jerky automation. This happens with both the faders and the rotaries. Here's a picture of an envelope written with the controller in touch mode so you can see what I'm talking about:

Volume and Pan automation, both work great in latch and write modes.

The Mixer, Stop, Play, Rec, Prev, and Next buttons all work. REW and FF just jump to the start and end of the project respectively, kind of like using the home and end keys on a keyboard. I wish they could jog back and forth through the timeline. RTZ (return to zero) doesn't do anything right now.

I used the Eucontrol to assign faders to a custom track layout, and it seemed to work well.

Right now, unless you're using a custom layout, all tracks are automatically displayed on the controller, including the master track. There doesn't seem to be any way to hide tracks from the controller. Ideally Reaper would have a separate column in the Track Manager where you could check track visibility on and off for control surfaces, but short of that having controller visibility linked to either TCP or MCP visibility would work just fine.

Nudging through individual tracks one at a time works great, but banking through tracks is a little buggy. It works fine if I don't do any nudging beforehand, but if I nudge over so that the Master track is hidden then try to move over to the next bank, my 2nd bank starts at track 12. Tracks 9-11 are skipped and I have to nudge back over to see them

If I use the automation buttons on the controller to cycle through track automation modes it skips latch mode. It switches first from trim/read to write, then to touch, then to read, then back to trim/read. No way to access Latch mode from the controller

Quote:
Select Pan:
If you are set up for stereo pan/width:
Pushing the upper switch (the one that lights up yellow) should change the rotary and display to width adjust / readout.
Pushing the lower switch (the one that lights up green) should reverse the pan L/R.
This stuff all works the way you've explained. Hitting the top button on a channel switches the rotary over to width control and hitting the second button reverses the stereo field by inverting the current width setting. If I put a track into either latch or write modes and try to automate the width using the rotary, it doesn't really work. The width envelope "sticks" at whatever the trim setting is for width and the envelope fights any automation moves I try to make with the controller. If I use flip mode to put my width control on a fader instead of rotary I am able to automate the width envelope properly in latch and write modes.

Quote:
Select Input (Shift Inserts/Input):
The rotary should control Gain -- not implemented in Reaper yet -- but you should see the readout change
Curious what the plan for this is. As far as I know Reaper doesn't have a track parameter called gain, though I suppose Pre-fx volume would be the obvious thing here?
Quote:
Pushing the upper switch should put the rotary into input monitor select mode (off, on, auto, on+existing, auto+existing)
Pushing the lower switch should reverse phase (polarity)
Pushing the page switch should put the rotary into input select mode
All this stuff works exactly as you describe

Quote:
Select Aux:
The rotary should control level
This works, but I can only control the trim level of the send even if I'm in touch, latch, or write mode. If I try to automate my send levels the controller won't actually write anything to the envelope.

Quote:
The upper switch should toggle between pre/post-fader
Works, but there is no visual indication of this in Reaper's track routing window. The only way I could confirm it was working was by listening. On the other hand If I switch between pre and post-fader send from within Reaper it does update the controller and cause the top button to light up

Quote:
The lower switch should control mute
Again, this worked, but only on the trim value of the mute. I was unable to use the button to automate the send mutes.

Quote:
Pressing the knob top switch should put you into Pan / Phase mode
Yep, if I push the rotary down on a particular send, the pan and phase parameters for that send spill over to the first two rotaries on the controller. I think it'd be nice If we could still use one of the rotaries to control send volume while in this mode, and I suppose while your at it give us access to the mute and pre/post fader toggle as well. Send pan has the same automation problem as send volume an send mute, only affects the trim value, does not affect the envelope regardless of automation mode

I'm able to cycle through different sends on my tracks by hitting the page keys. Currently sends display in whatever order they are in on the track, so that if I have one Track 1 with sends to Buss A and Buss B and Track 2 with only a send to Buss B, the sends for Buss B will not be displayed at the same time. Track 1 will show the send for Buss A when Track 2 is showing the send for Buss B, and when Track 1 shows the send for Buss B, Track 2 will not show any sends. It'd be nice if all the sends to particular track could always display at the same time. I guess this is where a true slot based system for sends and plugins could really come in handy.

Hitting the channel key caused all of the selected tracks sends to spill out across the rotaries, just as I would expect.

Quote:
Similarly, try Mix (hardware outputs) and Group (receives)
These both worked pretty much the same as Aux mode, with all the same problems

Quote:
Experiment with Inserts and see what you get.
In Insert mode I can see my track plugin names on the LEDs, and I can cycle through different plugins on my tracks using the page keys.

Rotary controls wet/dry percentage for a plugin, and the 2nd button controls bypass, nice!

If hit the Channel button all my plugins for the selected track are displayed across the top and if I press the rotary in for a particular plugin all parameters spill out across the rotaries. This all worked perfectly with both DMG equality and Valhalla Room. Automating the parameters from the controller worked perfectly. It would be amazing to have some better custom mappings for the plugins, but I'll take what I can get.

Controlling Bridged 32-bit plugins didn't work. They display correctly and I can see all the parameters, but when I touch the rotaries the parameters immediately jump to their highest setting then won't change at all when I twiddle the rotaries. If I flip the parameters to the faders for a 32 bit plugins they don't do anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington
Known issues:

If you add or remove sends, receives, plugins, etc. EuCon is not updated, you must exit and restart to see the changes.
Actually this isn't entirely true. For plug-ins yes, If I add or remove any plugins those changes aren't reflected until I restart. If I add sends or receives however, they appear on the controller as soon as I add them. Deleting or renaming sends does require a restart to see the changes

Phew, I think that's everything for now. Let me know if I need to clarify anything or, if there's anything else specific I should check out. I'm going to keep playing around and I think I might even try to use Eucon to mix a very basic video piece that I'll be working on tomorrow afternoon, I'll let you know how it goes.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #42
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore
Okay, you asked for it. Here's my in depth report, sorry if this is a little scattered
Wow, you put a lot of work into this, very thorough, and very much appreciated, thanks !!

Quote:
Creating a new track sometimes (though not always) causes Reaper to hang for a second or so as the controller updates. Not a showstopper, but I could see this getting pretty annoying if I needed to add a bunch of tracks on the fly. The LED display on the controller updates almost instantly when renaming a track, but if I delete tracks the controller won't update and the deleted tracks will continue to show until I close and reopen Reaper
Yup, known problems.

Quote:
Writing automation in touch mode doesn't really work at all
Yes, I have paid little / no attention to automation thus far, it's on the to-do list though

Quote:
If I use the automation buttons on the controller to cycle through track automation modes it skips latch mode. It switches first from trim/read to write, then to touch, then to read, then back to trim/read. No way to access Latch mode from the controller
Yeah, unfortunately EuCon only supports 4 automation modes (including off) so I had to pick the ones I thought were most useful, would you have selected differently ?

As to all the other automation related issues, as stated above, automation is definitely a work-in-progress.

Quote:
The Mixer, Stop, Play, Rec, Prev, and Next buttons all work. REW and FF just jump to the start and end of the project respectively, kind of like using the home and end keys on a keyboard. I wish they could jog back and forth through the timeline. RTZ (return to zero) doesn't do anything right now
Yes, known issues.

Quote:
Right now, unless you're using a custom layout, all tracks are automatically displayed on the controller, including the master track. There doesn't seem to be any way to hide tracks from the controller. Ideally Reaper would have a separate column in the Track Manager where you could check track visibility on and off for control surfaces, but short of that having controller visibility linked to either TCP or MCP visibility would work just fine
Known issue.

Quote:
Nudging through individual tracks one at a time works great, but banking through tracks is a little buggy. It works fine if I don't do any nudging beforehand, but if I nudge over so that the Master track is hidden then try to move over to the next bank, my 2nd bank starts at track 12. Tracks 9-11 are skipped and I have to nudge back over to see them
This is internal to EuCon, I have no control over the bank/nudge "stride".

Quote:
Curious what the plan for this is. As far as I know Reaper doesn't have a track parameter called gain, though I suppose Pre-fx volume would be the obvious thing here?
Yes, it's actually just a Reaper feature request right now, but it would be functionally similar to Pre-FX volume, and located in the same place in the signal path.

Quote:
Works, but there is no visual indication of this in Reaper's track routing window. The only way I could confirm it was working was by listening. On the other hand If I switch between pre and post-fader send from within Reaper it does update the controller and cause the top button to light up
That's right, but there is confirmation in the big routing matrix window (Alt-R), I think it's just a minor bug (omission) in the routing window, the Pre/Post dropdown pick does not get updated when set externally.

Quote:
Yep, if I push the rotary down on a particular send, the pan and phase parameters for that send spill over to the first two rotaries on the controller. I think it'd be nice If we could still use one of the rotaries to control send volume while in this mode, and I suppose while your at it give us access to the mute and pre/post fader toggle as well
Yes, custom map support is planned for those parameters.

Quote:
I'm able to cycle through different sends on my tracks by hitting the page keys. Currently sends display in whatever order they are in on the track, so that if I have one Track 1 with sends to Buss A and Buss B and Track 2 with only a send to Buss B, the sends for Buss B will not be displayed at the same time. Track 1 will show the send for Buss A when Track 2 is showing the send for Buss B, and when Track 1 shows the send for Buss B, Track 2 will not show any sends. It'd be nice if all the sends to particular track could always display at the same time. I guess this is where a true slot based system for sends and plugins could really come in handy.
Yes, you're really talking, as you suggest, about the different design approaches to slots, this is just the way Reaper works.

Quote:
Rotary controls wet/dry percentage for a plugin, and the 2nd button controls bypass, nice!

If hit the Channel button all my plugins for the selected track are displayed across the top and if I press the rotary in for a particular plugin all parameters spill out across the rotaries. This all worked perfectly with both DMG equality and Valhalla Room. Automating the parameters from the controller worked perfectly. It would be amazing to have some better custom mappings for the plugins, but I'll take what I can get.
Custom maps for plugins are already complete, I just didn't include them in the alpha -- as would be expected they require extra files (the maps), and I didn't want to cloud the alpha installation process with anything more than was absolutely necessary.
There is also a facility to provide different names (aliases) for plugins and parameters.

Quote:
Controlling Bridged 32-bit plugins didn't work. They display correctly and I can see all the parameters, but when I touch the rotaries the parameters immediately jump to their highest setting then won't change at all when I twiddle the rotaries. If I flip the parameters to the faders for a 32 bit plugins they don't do anything at all.
Interesting, likely a result of the bridging software, will look into it.

Quote:
Actually this isn't entirely true. For plug-ins yes, If I add or remove any plugins those changes aren't reflected until I restart. If I add sends or receives however, they appear on the controller as soon as I add them. Deleting or renaming sends does require a restart to see the changes
Yes, that code area is in a state of flux right now.

Thanks again for the great work !!

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-15-2013 at 04:15 AM.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #43
RobinGShore

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately EuCon only supports 4 automation modes (including off)
Wow Really? That' pretty lame. Seems like a big oversight on their part.

Quote:
I had to pick the ones I thought were most useful, would you have selected differently ?
I think there's probably lots of different personal opinions on this. Maybe there's a way you could let the user decide which mode to exclude when they enable Eucon in Reaper's preferences? I use all the modes, but I guess if I had to pick one to ditch it would be trim/read, since I don't really need this once I start automating things on a track. Write mode has always seemed pretty useless and antiquated to me, but until Reaper's Latch mode is able to remember its touched status through the end of a loop I need to use it sometimes.

Quote:
Yes, you're really talking, as you suggest, about the different design approaches to slots, this is just the way Reaper works.
Yeah, I had a feeling there was no way of changing this for now. Any chance you can use your work on this project to leverage some other changes out of Justin and company that would be helpful for control surface users? Don't mean to sound unreasonable and put undue importance on Eucon, I know they've already got a lot on their plate.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
If Eucon is enabled Reaper will crash immediately if I try to load a project from within Reaper using the "Open Project" command in the file menu. Doesn't matter how big or small the project is, it crashes every time, even if I try to open a blank project with no tracks
As suspected this has to do with EuCon initialization, I'm working through it, but for now, please open projects by double clicking .RPP icons ONLY.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I think there's probably lots of different personal opinions on this. Maybe there's a way you could let the user decide which mode to exclude when they enable Eucon in Reaper's preferences? I use all the modes, but I guess if I had to pick one to ditch it would be trim/read, since I don't really need this once I start automating things on a track. Write mode has always seemed pretty useless and antiquated to me, but until Reaper's Latch mode is able to remember its touched status through the end of a loop I need to use it sometimes.
Man, you said it. I'm using WRITE for everything but touch-fader rides. Optional Auto-touching of all activated&armed parameters of a plugin if one of its parameters is touched, in Latch mode, is also high on my list, at least until the somewhat simpler stuff comes along (see link below).

Quote:
Yeah, I had a feeling there was no way of changing this for now. Any chance you can use your work on this project to leverage some other changes out of Justin and company that would be helpful for control surface users? Don't mean to sound unreasonable and put undue importance on Eucon, I know they've already got a lot on their plate.
More EuCon users, more mixers probably means more folks poking holes in Reapers automation limitations and hopefully also any requests around it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #46
Geoff Waddington

OK, new version is up with Custom plugin maps and aliases.

Please make sure to read the readme.txt file included.

I've mapped the UAD Neve 88RS and the Valhalla Room so far.

Probably should build a tool to make this easier, I'll think about that...
Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #47
airon

The link to the first post needs to be in your sig Geoff. Gotta be there.

Are plugin maps restricted to the knobs or can the faders be used as well ?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #48
RobinGShore

Did a very simple mix for a 2 minute video piece today using my MC mix as a controller. 1 video track, 2 tracks of dialogue, and a single pre-mixed music track. Automated EQs (DMG Equality) on both dialogue tracks, and no routing aside from a static send to a master dialogue buss with a very light compressor on it.

The whole thing took around an hour, and I didn't get a single crash. I had a 32bit bridged version of Waves RComp with static settings on the dialogue buss and as soon as I engaged Eucon my Attack, Release, and Make Up Gain all shot up to their maximum values. I reset the values for those three to where I wanted them and the plugin behaved fine after that.

I mostly used the controller for automating volume and EQs. Not being able to use touch mode was a real bummer, but it was great to have actual faders. I've been using an Ipad with TouchOSC as a controller and it's just not the same. Volume riding worked great. EQ automation worked fine, but without a custom mapping it was kind of annoying. Eventually I just switched over to controlling the EQ with my mouse as the controller was getting to tedious. I did really like being able to bypass the EQs on the controller, great for quick A/Bing.

A couple more stray thoughts I had while working on this not sure how doable these things even are:

- It'd be great if when I select a plugin for editing on the controller it's GUI could automatically pop up in Reaper. There's an option for this in the EuControl panel, but as of now it doesn't work in Reaper

- Any chance we could get actions to toggle settings in the EuControl panel from within Reaper?

-Is it possible to make it so that the controller remains active even when Reaper is not the active application?

-Any way to let us use keyboard modifiers in conjunction with the controller? For instance holding control while hitting one of the controllers Solo buttons to clear all Solos.

Quote:
OK, new version is up with Custom plugin maps and aliases.

Please make sure to read the readme.txt file included.

I've mapped the UAD Neve 88RS and the Valhalla Room so far.

Probably should build a tool to make this easier, I'll think about that...
Cool, I'll try to check it out tomorrow evening or Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I sure hope the plugin maps can use both faders and knob. My ideal layout for an EQ on the MC Mix would go something like this:
-Each channel controls a seperate EQ band
-Fader controls Gain
-Rotary controls frequency
-hitting the top button switches the rotary into controlling band width
-hitting the second buttom bypasses the band
-pressing the rotary down switches band shapes

Quote:
Man, you said it. I'm using WRITE for everything but touch-fader rides. Optional Auto-touching of all activated&armed parameters of a plugin if one of its parameters is touched, in Latch mode, is also high on my list, at least until the somewhat simpler stuff comes along (see link below).
I applaud your bravery. I try to stay out of write mode as much as possible, been burned too many times by forgetting to disarm envelopes that had already been worked on or rolling over the wrong part of the timeline. God I hope they fix this automation stuff sometime this year.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #49
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon
The link to the first post needs to be in your sig Geoff. Gotta be there.
I've included the link to the download, is that close enough?

Quote:
Quote:
I sure hope the plugin maps can use both faders and knob
Well, you can use flip to do something close, but simultaneously ? -- that's a HUGE coding job, so, for now, sorry to say the short answer is no.

Quote:
Did a very simple mix for a 2 minute video piece today using my MC mix as a controller. 1 video track, 2 tracks of dialogue, and a single pre-mixed music track. Automated EQs (DMG Equality) on both dialogue tracks, and no routing aside from a static send to a master dialogue buss with a very light compressor on it.

The whole thing took around an hour, and I didn't get a single crash
Excellent news !

Quote:
It'd be great if when I select a plugin for editing on the controller it's GUI could automatically pop up in Reaper. There's an option for this in the EuControl panel, but as of now it doesn't work in Reaper
This is coded but currently causes a crash, investigation continues.

There is a design point here I could use some help with though.

Showing is one thing, but when does hiding happen?

The obvious and simplistic method is to show only one plugin at a time.

More sophisticated -- leave other plugins previously opened -- perhaps for for this track only -- until when ?

Gets complicated rather quickly.

Quote:
Any chance we could get actions to toggle settings in the EuControl panel from within Reaper?
Doubtful.

Quote:
Is it possible to make it so that the controller remains active even when Reaper is not the active application?
Doubtful.

Quote:
Any way to let us use keyboard modifiers in conjunction with the controller? For instance holding control while hitting one of the controllers Solo buttons to clear all Solos
Once again, doubtful.

Quote:
I sure hope the plugin maps can use both faders and knob. My ideal layout for an EQ on the MC Mix would go something like this:
-Each channel controls a seperate EQ band
-Fader controls Gain
-Rotary controls frequency
-hitting the top button switches the rotary into controlling band width
-hitting the second buttom bypasses the band
-pressing the rotary down switches band shapes
Right now mapping is restricted to "Knob Cells" in EuCon speak.
That is, the rotary, label, upper (yellow) and lower (green) switches, with the added provision of allowing a "peer" knob -- one that uses the upper switch to toggle between 2 rotary actions -- e.g. Freq and Q.

Folks, please do continue to inquire about features that you want, but I think a little expectation setting is in order.

When programming for a typical MIDI based controller, things are wide open.
By that I mean a button gets pushed, a MIDI message arrives (e.g B0 04 01) and the code can simply react in any way desired to this button press.
It is straightforward and simplistic.

On the other hand, EuCon must serve many masters, with the capability to assign individual faders to different workstations, etc., all that good stuff.

So the programming model is very different.

In EuCon one programs to a capability.

For instance, I do not "hook up" the Play button on a Mix unit (channel 8 Solo when shifted) to the Play functionality in Reaper.

Rather the Reaper Play functionality is made available to EuCon controllers for any surface control that wishes to present itself to the user as a Play control.

This gets quite technical and is described in this publicly available doc for those as geeky as me http://www.avid.com/static//resource...aper_oct06.pdf

A very geeky excerpt regarding this topic:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To assign its controls to an application, the surface iterates through all of the application’s controls using browser objects provided by EuCon surface-side code. Starting with the application’s node, the surface can browse down through every processor to its controls and examine their layout names. As it finds controls it wants to assign to, the surface creates a proxy object of the application control using the distributed object system. The proxy allows the surface to make remote procedure calls on the application object, enabling bi-directional communication over the network. To complete the assignment, the surface maps its own physical control to the proxy of the application’s control.

An application’s object model can dynamically change in response to user actions. For example, when a user adds a plug-in to a channel strip in a DAW, a new knob cell array is created and added to the channel processor within the application’s EuCon model. Removing a plug-in deletes a knob cell array from the channel processor. Using surface and control-level callbacks, EuCon notifies the surface when additions, deletions, or modifications occur. The surface can then assign to newly added controls, un-assign from deleted controls, or update modified controls.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's really quite sophisticated stuff, but in a certain way, it is also constraining, and must be, by the way, in order to get some level of consistency across the various DAWS that interact with it.

So, for instance, the Bank, Nudge, and Flip functionality is completely removed from my world as a developer, it just "happens".
That's great from a certain perspective (app to app consistency, etc.) but also means I must "take what's handed to me" and work with that.

This is in no way a diss on the EuCon model, it's excellent, but it just means some things are easier than with MIDI based controllers, and other things are..... well, different.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-16-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #50
RobinGShore

Have any of you folks out there besides me tested this thing out yet? It's be great to hear reports about how some of the other Eucon hardware (Transport, Control, System 5) is working in Reaper

Quote:

This is coded but currently causes a crash, investigation continues.

There is a design point here I could use some help with though.

Showing is one thing, but when does hiding happen?
My vote is for keeping it simple. Hide the plugin GUI as soon as you exit the plugin on the controller.

Quote:
Right now mapping is restricted to "Knob Cells" in EuCon speak.
That is, the rotary, label, upper (yellow) and lower (green) switches, with the added provision of allowing a "peer" knob -- one that uses the upper switch to toggle between 2 rotary actions -- e.g. Freq and Q.

Folks, please do continue to inquire about features that you want, but I think a little expectation setting is in order...
Great to know. Thanks. Will we be able to make our own mappings and aliases?
Seems pretty unreasonable to expect you to write a new map for every plugin someone might want to use.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
My vote is for keeping it simple. Hide the plugin GUI as soon as you exit the plugin on the controller.
Cool, vote noted.

Quote:
Great to know. Thanks. Will we be able to make our own mappings and aliases?
Seems pretty unreasonable to expect you to write a new map for every plugin someone might want to use.
Yes, I'm considering supplying a tool to make it easy for anyone to generate mappings.

The whole idea is to enable easy user customization.

Quote:
Have any of you folks out there besides me tested this thing out yet?
Yes, step right up folks and give 'er a try !

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-16-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #52
RobinGShore

Just tried out the new version. The mapping for Valhallaroom is really nice. It corresponds well to the plugin's GUI and I love having the separate submenus for Early and Late.

I popped open one of the insert map ini files in notepad to see if it was something I'd be able to fool around with myself. I could sort of understand what I was seeing in there, but I think I'd be pretty lost if I tried to make a mapping on my own. A tool for mappings would be huge, and even just having better documentation for the ini file would be a big step up.

One new bug that I noticed:
Adding a send now causes Reaper to crash. This wasn't happening with the first version of Eucon that I downloaded last week.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #53
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just tried out the new version. The mapping for Valhallaroom is really nice. It corresponds well to the plugin's GUI and I love having the separate submenus for Early and Late
Thanks, that's just a quick sample of what can be done.

Quote:
I popped open one of the insert map ini files in notepad to see if it was something I'd be able to fool around with myself. I could sort of understand what I was seeing in there, but I think I'd be pretty lost if I tried to make a mapping on my own. A tool for mappings would be huge
Yeah, I'm thinking it's pretty much a mandatory item.

Quote:
Adding a send now causes Reaper to crash. This wasn't happening with the first version of Eucon that I downloaded last week.
Grrr.. I hate regression.... even if it's alpha code

Yeah, I caught that one today, hope to have a fix in a day or two.

In the meantime, please do not to add / delete sends, hardware sends, or receives. I think plugins are OK, but tread lightly.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #54
airon

And the link is great . Can't miss it.

Geoff, your explanation sounds like you'd almost need to misappropriate controls by calling whatever it is you want to control the volume of a track to use the fader. Wouldn't want that kind of hacking to waste your resources as long as the whole thing needs to be stable and fully usable. We can trigger lots of actions and control stuff via MIDI & OSC hardware, so that's a decent fallback. Hey, maybe we can push Cockos to get us better management of "Learn"ed controls because of this .

There are solutions to everything, and who knows what the EuCon 3.0 software will bring in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
I applaud your bravery. I try to stay out of write mode as much as possible, been burned too many times by forgetting to disarm envelopes that had already been worked on or rolling over the wrong part of the timeline. God I hope they fix this automation stuff sometime this year.
I mixed five 43-minute episodes of a show using mostly the WRITE mode, initiated on the tracks I needed changing. The whole time I had to be very, very conscious of what keyboard stuff I was hitting when a plugin GUI was open. PAGE-UP on the keyboard can change a preset which is in focus whenever you open a plugin GUI. ReaEQ can create and destroy bands (and their automation!) by changing a preset. That's why I stick to EQuality or get paranoid with ReaEQ. I have my automation modes on the Insert,Home,End,PageUp,PageDown keyboard block. ALT+key is global, ALT+CTRL+key is override. Nice and fast. I have a match-out custom action on CTRL+Del. Just switches to global override READ and then deactivates the global override again. Got the three write commands on CTRL+Left,Down,Right. Quick stuff, though Reaper's still a bit quirky for me. But it works fine.

I've been toying with a purchase of a Behringer BCR-2000 unit, which is just a matrix of knobs without feedback. Good hardware. When I get an Artist Mix unit or perhaps a Control unit, who knows, I'll still keep these midi units I have.

The Novation Dicer for example is great for getting six 10-button layers of simple triggers. I use one layer to call up plugins 1-5 one one Dicer, and trigger closing all floating plugins, bringing up the next plugin(and closing the previous) , previous plugin, next track, previous track. Novation SL61 (or the SLZero for control stuff alone) is awesome too. The sliders are just great for controlling the WNS for example.

The Artist Mix or Control unit will simply make it easy for me to ride the sends on flipped faders, because that's just shite with knobs.

Wish I could join the testing, but I'll contribute whatever little that's possible.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
airon

Geoff, a small idea for your plugin map application.

Present draggable objects in the second of two columns.

Left - the banks of controls you can present to EuCon, right - the parameters.

Let the user right-drag to marquee a bunch, CTRL+click to select multiple non-consecutive ones and SHIFT+click for a range. Drag selected around.

Highlight the row in the left column to make targetting easier.

What do you think ?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
RobinGShore

Quote:
I've included the link to the download, is that close enough?

This gets quite technical and is described in this publicly available doc for those as geeky as me http://www.avid.com/static//resource...aper_oct06.pdf
Just finished reading through this. Thanks for posting. A lot of it did go over my head, but it was still pretty enlightening. I think I've got a much clearer idea now of what you can and can't do with Eucon. I can see how it's less flexible than MIDI, but I really like their philosophy of presenting a consistent UI across different DAWs. Hopefully this can help bridge the learning curve for people who are just switching over to Reaper.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #57
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Geoff, a small idea for your plugin map application.

Present draggable objects in the second of two columns.

Left - the banks of controls you can present to EuCon, right - the parameters.

Let the user right-drag to marquee a bunch, CTRL+click to select multiple non-consecutive ones and SHIFT+click for a range. Drag selected around.

Highlight the row in the left column to make targetting easier.

What do you think ?
Yes, I think draggable is attractive, but the situation is a bit more complex than just controls on left and params on right.

The model allows for n-level deep submenus, which means n-level deep "knob nesting", that's the tricky part to present, UI wise.

Good ideas as usual though, keep 'em coming.

Man, you need to get your hands on a unit (Mix) or two (+ Control), or three (+ Transport)
Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
RobinGShore

Geoff, a few quick questions about your Valhallaroom map. When I use the controller to change Reverb modes the LED for that displays numbers instead of actual names. Will there be a way of making certain parameters display as text instead of numerical values? If I understood what I was reading in the Eucon papers ( and it's very possible I did not) this should be doable

Also, I don't have much fine control over some of the parameters, particularly with smaller values. Decay is a good example. If I change it the with the mouse I can move the slider in increments of .01 seconds, but when I use the controller the smallest change I'm able to do is 1 second. Is there something that can be done about this or will I just need to live with it?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Geoff, a few quick questions about your Valhallaroom map. When I use the controller to change Reverb modes the LED for that displays numbers instead of actual names. Will there be a way of making certain parameters display as text instead of numerical values? If I understood what I was reading in the Eucon papers ( and it's very possible I did not) this should be doable
Yeah, we're at the mercy of the VST developer on this.

I use a call to get the formatted parameter string for display, and that's what's being returned in this case -- I noticed that about the Modes as well

Maybe we can do some "super fancy magic" for phase II of the project, but I'd say let's just rock on for the time being.

Quote:
Also, I don't have much fine control over some of the parameters, particularly with smaller values. Decay is a good example. If I change it the with the mouse I can move the slider in increments of .01 seconds, but when I use the controller the smallest change I'm able to do is 1 second. Is there something that can be done about this or will I just need to live with it?
Yeah, right now I've got a ceiling set for max table size -- it's 100 IIRC, maybe that should be set a little higher

It's a tradeoff as I'm sure you're aware -- granularity vs control responsiveness.

But that's very good input, will look into this.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
RobinGShore

Quote:

Maybe we can do some "super fancy magic" for phase II of the project, but I'd say let's just rock on for the time being.
Definitely, best not to caught up in the details til all the bigger stuff is working well.

Quote:
Yeah, right now I've got a ceiling set for max table size -- it's 100 IIRC, maybe that should be set a little higher

It's a tradeoff as I'm sure you're aware -- granularity vs control responsiveness.
Is this a global setting or is it something that can be changed depending on what the knobs are showing? Any way that at some point you could let us change this for ourselves on a per plugin or per parameter basis? Not everything requires super detailed control, but different tasks might need different amounts of precision. I find that with time based stuff like decay and reverb-time changing things by just a few fractions of a second can be make or break.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #61
airon

Does EuCon support knob acceleration ? Or could be done on the interpreting end, the Reaper plugin ?
On extreme knob movement, the value jump ahead x times the normal value. Might be worth testing and finding a few simplistic acceleration curves. A good one might just be a modest bump that looks like a piece of a compression curve in the upper fifth of the motion/action graph.

Concerning the UI for organizing parameters, this may just be a question of adding more columns and handing it like the OSX Finder does in its column mode. If a chosen knob or or button accesses a submenu, show it in a third column when its clicked on.
With submenus it might get cumbersome to drag'n'drop though. How do you get a function out of one submenu and in to another. First obvious solution, two views in to the same project.

Also, what about using a function twice. Is that possible ?
As an example, perhaps I'd like to have the delay time of a delay plugin on every page of the parameters because I'm always tweaking that along with other stuff.

Am I to believe that you can define your own Insert access menus, or is this only about how to present the parameters of a plugin, and the insert access procedures and menus are locked down ?

If so, I do wonder what could be done with this. Some ideas that may be off the chart.
Assign the first seven knobs to control the general parameters of my reverb plugin, as well as the buttons to turn certain features on/off (the Sel and On buttons next to each knob). The knob-press-button resets those parameters.

The eight knob or one of its two soft buttons, if possible, could access a detail layer, perhaps two of them. For example, Aether which I use a lot has a section for early reflections and for late reflections. That's the kind of whack stuff I'd want to access with two softkeys as a submenu, instead of paging to them on one flat parameter list.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #62
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Does EuCon support knob acceleration ? Or could be done on the interpreting end, the Reaper plugin ?

On extreme knob movement, the value jump ahead x times the normal value. Might be worth testing and finding a few simplistic acceleration curves. A good one might just be a modest bump that looks like a piece of a compression curve in the upper fifth of the motion/action graph.
As far as I know so far that's EuCon internals.
There are adjustments in preferences for Jog and Shuttle, but I see no knob acceleration adjusment.

Quote:

As an example, perhaps I'd like to have the delay time of a delay plugin on every page of the parameters because I'm always tweaking that along with other stuff.
This occurs in the hardwired stuff (e.g Input Phase) but is thus far disallowed in the mapping section. I did consider it, maybe phase II.

Quote:
Am I to believe that you can define your own Insert access menus, or is this only about how to present the parameters of a plugin, and the insert access procedures and menus are locked down ?

If so, I do wonder what could be done with this. Some ideas that may be off the chart.

Assign the first seven knobs to control the general parameters of my reverb plugin, as well as the buttons to turn certain features on/off (the Sel and On buttons next to each knob). The knob-press-button resets those parameters.

The eight knob or one of its two soft buttons, if possible, could access a detail layer, perhaps two of them. For example, Aether which I use a lot has a section for early reflections and for late reflections. That's the kind of whack stuff I'd want to access with two softkeys as a submenu, instead of paging to them on one flat parameter list.
It's all about mapping the Insert parameters themselves.
It's a convention in the Artist series that a Knob Top Switch press "drills down" to another set of Knobs (a submenu in this sense).
Pressing the Knob Top Switch of one of the submenu Knobs causes a further "drill down" to another set of Knobs.
Arbitrary nesting levels are supported.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #63
Geoff Waddington

A new build is up.

Add / Delete Sends should work now
Hardware Sends and Receives are still messed up but shouldn't crash.

Work continues...
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #64
RBowlin

I too am quite excited about this. Since purchasing the MC Control my mixes move along so much faster. And better, too. I've always loved Reaper but have felt short-changed on the control surface integration side of things.

I'll certainly try this out as soon as I can and I'll provide feedback as well. Thanks for taking this on and for handling the hard work I know this will entail.

-Rich
RBowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #65
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

As an example, perhaps I'd like to have the delay time of a delay plugin on every page of the parameters because I'm always tweaking that along with other stuff
Added support for this in my local build -- will post to stash with next batch of changes.

It brings up an interesting design point though.

A EuCon Knob Cell (image attached) "steals" the upper switch (the one that lights up yellow) if a Peer Knob is present -- e.g. Normal = Freq / Peer = Q for an EQ.

What about the lower switch in this case?

I think a reasonable constraint is to disallow different functions on the lower switch if a Peer Knob is present.

In mapping terms that means the lower switch map is the same for the "normal" and "peer" modes, it is effectively defined twice with the same functionality, once for the "normal" knob mode and again for the "peer" knob mode.

Put another way, regardless whether the knob is in "normal" mode (upper switch unlit -- knob controls normal assigned function) or "peer mode" (upper switch lit -- knob controls peer assigned function) the lower switch does the same thing (whatever it was assigned to).

To do otherwise would be very confusing to me.

What do you think ?

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 04-04-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #66
airon

If I've understood it correctly, this is how it works.

When in INSERT mode, having selected a plugin to control and that plugins parameters are now spilled across the knobs, you have in fact two layers per knob that the knob can control.

The first layer is what shows up when you first spill the parameters across the knobs. If there is a second layer, the "Upper Switch" button is lit up.

The second layer is accessed by pressing that lit up "Upper Switch".

Question: Does the button stay lit or does the text display change in any way once the button is pressed ?

The knob is now controlling a different function, if the user didn't setup the same thing(Possible even though ridiculous?). That knob is now called a Peer knob.

You're proposing to allow the user to assign only one function across both layers for the Lower Switch.

I'm all for keeping it simple, but someone will show up with an idea for this, and it might be me once I've started using this a lot.

Btw, I can test the plugin mapping application for bugs and GUI efficiency, and of course contribute plugin maps for the stuff I have.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #67
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
If I've understood it correctly, this is how it works.

When in INSERT mode, having selected a plugin to control and that plugins parameters are now spilled across the knobs, you have in fact two layers per knob that the knob can control.
Not just INSERT mode, but PAN, AUX, MIX, GROUP, and INPUT as well.

Quote:
The first layer is what shows up when you first spill the parameters across the knobs. If there is a second layer, the "Upper Switch" button is lit up.
No, the upper switch is initially unlit and the knob is in "normal" mode.

Quote:
The second layer is accessed by pressing that lit up "Upper Switch".

Question: Does the button stay lit or does the text display change in any way once the button is pressed ?
Once you press the switch, it lights up and the knob AND text display are assigned to the "Peer" knob functionality.

Quote:
The knob is now controlling a different function, if the user didn't setup the same thing(Possible even though ridiculous?). That knob is now called a Peer knob.
Yes.

Quote:
You're proposing to allow the user to assign only one function across both layers for the Lower Switch
Yeah, that's the proposal.

It's worth noting that if you DO NOT assign a peer knob you are free to assign the upper switch to another parameter.

For instance Aux Sends might lay out thusly:
Knob -- send level
Text Display -- send level text
Upper Switch -- Pre / Post -- lit = Pre / unlit = Post
Lower Switch -- On -- lit = On / unlit = Muted

Quote:
Btw, I can test the plugin mapping application for bugs and GUI efficiency, and of course contribute plugin maps for the stuff I have
Thanks -- Man we GOTTA' find a way to get you some gear to check this stuff out on
Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #68
RobinGShore

Quote:
A new build is up.

Add / Delete Sends should work now
Hardware Sends and Receives are still messed up but shouldn't crash.

Work continues...
Just downloaded the latest build, still getting a crash when I create new sends.

Also did you switch things around with input mode? It seems I'm no longer able to control phase, or input selection without putting the controller into channel mode

Quote:

You're proposing to allow the user to assign only one function across both layers for the Lower Switch.

I'm all for keeping it simple, but someone will show up with an idea for this, and it might be me once I've started using this a lot.
I think the fear is that since the LED screen doesn't display any info about the function of the lower button (whereas it does give you a parameter name and value for the rotary), people could easily get confused and forget what the button is supposed to be doing if its function changes too easily (I know I would). Personally I like the idea having the lower button's function stay consistent regardless of what the knob is doing, but if people want to try setting it up so that the button changes depending on the "peer status" why not let them? You could always make it so that the default is for the button to stay the same regardless of whether the peer knob is changed, but still allow for the option of changing.

A few more questions about plug-in maps:
-Is it possible for a knob to function both as a controller and a sub-menu? As in turning it will change parameters, but pushing it in will take you down into a sub-menu.

-Can more than one knob top be assigned to the access the same sub-menu?

-Any way to make it so that when in a sub-menu pushing one of the knob tops can take you back up to the parent menu?

-Out of curiosity, do you know how the sub-menus would work on a System 5-MC? You mentioned that the knob top system was a convention of the artist series, do you mean to say that it would work differently on the bigger controllers? I know they don't have the same rotaries as the artist series stuff and I can't tell from pictures whether or not they have similar knob top buttons.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #69
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just downloaded the latest build, still getting a crash when I create new sends
Will look into it.

Quote:
Also did you switch things around with input mode? It seems I'm no longer able to control phase, or input selection without putting the controller into channel mode
Good catch. I included an Input map in that build.
You can just delete (or rename, I think) Input_Map.ini
It's temporary, doing a major refactor to support mapping of not just Inserts, but also Pan, Inputs, Aux Sends, Hardware Sends, and Receives.

Quote:
I think the fear is that since the LED screen doesn't display any info about the function of the lower button (whereas it does give you a parameter name and value for the rotary), people could easily get confused and forget what the button is supposed to be doing if its function changes too easily (I know I would). Personally I like the idea having the lower button's function stay consistent regardless of what the knob is doing, but if people want to try setting it up so that the button changes depending on the "peer status" why not let them? You could always make it so that the default is for the button to stay the same regardless of whether the peer knob is changed, but still allow for the option of changing.
Sounds like you and airon are in agreement, allow max flexibility.
I like your concept of defaulting if not overridden.

Quote:
Is it possible for a knob to function both as a controller and a sub-menu? As in turning it will change parameters, but pushing it in will take you down into a sub-menu.
This should be the case with the Valhalla mapping, Wet and Bypass are on the topmost Knob, and it also drills down.
This is possible at any nesting level, not just the top.

Quote:
Can more than one knob top be assigned to the access the same sub-menu?
Yes, just added support for multiple definitions today, will post new build when mapping is complete -- a few days.

Quote:
Any way to make it so that when in a sub-menu pushing one of the knob tops can take you back up to the parent menu
The EuCon internals are wired to drill down on a top press and come back up using the Back button.
Don't know how feasible it is to change this.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you know how the sub-menus would work on a System 5-MC? You mentioned that the knob top system was a convention of the artist series, do you mean to say that it would work differently on the bigger controllers? I know they don't have the same rotaries as the artist series stuff and I can't tell from pictures whether or not they have similar knob top buttons
Don't know, but if you want to send me one I'll delve into it
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
RobinGShore

Quote:
The EuCon internals are wired to drill down on a top press and come back up using the Back button.
Don't know how feasible it is to change this.
I guess I could make this happen on my own with a long series of repeating submenus...or I could just move my finger over a few inches and hit the back button

Quote:
Don't know, but if you want to send me one I'll delve into it
Dale Pro Audio has their brick and mortar store about half a mile from my studio. Once the Eucon plugin is ready for primetime I have every intention of making an appointment in one of their demo rooms and bringing a portable Reaper installation with me just so I can mess around on one those big boy toys for a little while.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #71
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I guess I could make this happen on my own with a long series of repeating submenus...or I could just move my finger over a few inches and hit the back button
At first I really fought the EuCon metaphor, asking myself "Why is this done this way", "Why isn't...", etc.
Then I just relaxed a bit and went more with the flow.
That is when I had my AHA moment with the EuCon software.

There has clearly been A LOT of thought and effort put into the ergonomics.

Now I really like the Back/Top/Page behavior, it just feels natural.

At first I was disappointed at the redundancy when using multiple units -- my setup has SEVEN shift keys.

But as I worked I realized "I can just grab a Shift key and go", meaning with whichever hand/finger combo is near a Shift button at the time.

That leaves the other hand/finger combo available for the shifted operation.

Nowadays it feels more like a keyboard in the sense that I "play" it -- there's a lot of muscle memory goin' on, and therein lies the workflow, efficiency, confidence, and therefore speed.

I'm actually growing quite fond of the damn things
Old 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #72
airon

A System 5 unit. Now there's a tasty thing to try.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #73
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

Not much to see, mostly internals, hopefully adding / deleting Sends works now

Added support for defining map parameters more than once.
Completed mapping for Input.
The included Input map is set to the original behavior.

When installing don't forget to copy the EuCon folder to the appropriate location, it's becoming more necessary every build.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #74
RobinGShore

Tried the new build out yesterday. Happy to report that adding new sends no longer causes a crash!

Both adding and deleting sends works now, but if I am in Aux mode on my MC Mix it won't update any changes to a track's sends until I switch to a different mode, then switch back to Aux.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #75
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Tried the new build out yesterday. Happy to report that adding new sends no longer causes a crash!
Excellent !

Quote:
if I am in Aux mode on my MC Mix it won't update any changes to a track's sends until I switch to a different mode, then switch back to Aux
Yes, I've noticed this here as well, don't know if it is something I'm doing / not doing or if it's the behavior of the EuCon internals.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #76
Geoff Waddington

Initial Mac build is up.

Superficially tested for 32 bit, not tested at all for 64 bit (don't have a 64 bit environment here).

Please remember NOT to use this for production projects just yet !!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #77
RobinGShore

Did some work in Pro Tools today for the first time in ages. I made some observations about about Pro Tool's Eucon integration that I think could be helpful for you Geoff:

When creating or deleting sends in Pro Tools, my MC Mix updates right away even if I'm in aux mode, no need to switch between modes to get it to update like I need to with your current Reaper bulid. This makes me think it's probably not a Eucon internal thing, but something that you may be able to fix?

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately EuCon only supports 4 automation modes (including off) so I had to pick the ones I thought were most useful
You may want to look into this some more. In Pro Tools I was definitely able to cycle through all available automation modes using the controller, was not just limited to 4 modes.

Quote:
Initial Mac build is up.

Superficially tested for 32 bit, not tested at all for 64 bit (don't have a 64 bit environment here).
I don't use Macs very often, but I powered up my old 15" Mac Book Pro tonight to give this a try. It's a late 2006ish model, 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of Ram. It's running OSX 6.5 and has the 32-bit version of Reaper installed (Apple's website claims my machine is capable of booting OSX with a 64-bit kernel, but I've never been able to get it to work).

I was able to install the Eucon plugin in OSX and get it to initialize in Reaper, but it crashed every time I tried to create a new track or open a project, so I wasn't really able to do much testing aside from checking the transport controls (they worked) and fiddling around with volume and pan on the master track.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #78
RobinGShore

Looks likes Avid's getting ready to roll out a new mid-range Eucon controller later this year. This thing looks pretty slick:
http://www.avid.com/Static/resources...nsole_SPEC.jpg

...Eucon in Reaper just got a littler more tantalizing
Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #79
Geoff Waddington

Thanks as usual for the great effort !

Quote:
Did some work in Pro Tools today for the first time in ages. I made some observations about about Pro Tool's Eucon integration that I think could be helpful for you Geoff:

When creating or deleting sends in Pro Tools, my MC Mix updates right away even if I'm in aux mode, no need to switch between modes to get it to update like I need to with your current Reaper bulid. This makes me think it's probably not a Eucon internal thing, but something that you may be able to fix?
Cool, I'll dig into that.

Quote:
You may want to look into this some more. In Pro Tools I was definitely able to cycle through all available automation modes using the controller, was not just limited to 4 modes.
Once again the ball is in my court...

Quote:
I don't use Macs very often, but I powered up my old 15" Mac Book Pro tonight to give this a try. It's a late 2006ish model, 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of Ram. It's running OSX 6.5 and has the 32-bit version of Reaper installed (Apple's website claims my machine is capable of booting OSX with a 64-bit kernel, but I've never been able to get it to work).

I was able to install the Eucon plugin in OSX and get it to initialize in Reaper, but it crashed every time I tried to create a new track or open a project, so I wasn't really able to do much testing aside from checking the transport controls (they worked) and fiddling around with volume and pan on the master track.
There are some threading issues that need to be taken care of.
As a matter of fact, this is the priority of course, stability is always numero uno.

Then the feature set will be filled out.

Then we'll clean up things like the 2 mentioned above.

At that point we'll switch to beta testing.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 AM   #80
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Looks likes Avid's getting ready to roll out a new mid-range Eucon controller later this year. This thing looks pretty slick:
http://www.avid.com/Static/resources...nsole_SPEC.jpg

...Eucon in Reaper just got a littler more tantalizing
Yeah, saw that, 2, count 'em 2, Knob Cells per channel !

Buttons renamed to "Mute" instead of "On" since the mute condition is less common -- and lit red to draw attention !

Solo and Mute buttons arranged vertically !!

MSRP $17,995 with road worthy package consisting of converters, mic pres, and DSP.

I'd be willing to bet that EuCon controller is very close to standalone, the future looks like fun.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-30-2013 at 03:26 AM.