Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #161
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Hm – I just tried it for the first time. Unfortunately the groove is pretty swinging. Though it worked partially with the FNG extensions' grooves (I chose MPC 58%), it often enough failed with very simple kicks. Any ideas why?
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #162
ivansc

Had a quick look and found myself rapidly sliding into rabbit-in-headlights mode.
I will figure it all out eventually, but in the meantime...

You are indeed a fart little smeller, Adam
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #163
hotjams

Default Nice work, I really like the save transient, good analysis

of how to make get a great smooth result. I will have to try this out. I don't have python, but will consider installing it and running this.
hotjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #164
BrianW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjams View Post
of how to make get a great smooth result. I will have to try this out. I don't have python, but will consider installing it and running this.
No need to install Python, this feature is included in the SWS extensions now.
http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29640

It's really pretty slick for correcting/perfecting timing in drum & rhythmic material.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #165
digitaldeath

Adam, anything else you've ported over to Reaper from PT seeing that the alpha's out?
digitaldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #166
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Had a quick look and found myself rapidly sliding into rabbit-in-headlights mode.
I will figure it all out eventually, but in the meantime...

You are indeed a fart little smeller, Adam
It's a bit overwhelming until you've gone through the process and experimented with some of the settings Ivan.

Print Adam's first post.
Watch the video and make notes.

It's surprisingly good with time correcting multitrack drum recordings, c/w overheads and even room mics.

>
Old 02-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #167
G-Sun

I miss a strength and swing setting for the "Quantize items to grid.." -setting.

Made an FR here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=73782
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:02 AM   #168
ivansc

(grin) as a total newbie drummer, I really need to get this to work for me or radically inmprove my timing and reduce the number of erros I make!!!!

Or I could jsut go back to using a proper drummer I suppose....

Still, great Stuff Adam.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #169
G-Sun

For those who's not aware of it:
Fingers extension "Groove quantize" gives you the missing strength-parameter when quantizing. Just make a midi-item with straight 8ths or 16ns and use it as user-groove
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #170
bfsound

looks good going to try it out on some drums tonight, do you have to have SSD trigger for this to work or is there something freeware that will suffice?

Thanks
bfsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #171
SteveNSS

Default faster splits?

Hi guys, I'm still struggling with the Reaper to make it perfect for drum editing, because the Dynamic Split sux with the cymbals, and i usually record metal drums, and all the time use triggers, but when the drummer can't play what he wants then i usually ask him to play only the cymbals for a part like blast beats, so i need to edit the cymbals only, and it is not so easy, so i've got an idea.

So i don't really know how to do the Reaper part, so it's just an idea, but maybe works perfect, if it works
So we should find a solution together for it.

So i've found that the Zero-X Beat Quantizer standalone program can detect the hitpoints so fuckin perfectly for any cymbals and hits, it just works perfect, but i want to edit in reaper, because of the fades copy/paste-s etc.

So i've figured out that if i make a stem track with all the cymbals and all the drums in one track, then i can detect the hitpoints for all the tracks in Zero-X Beat Quantizer. In this program there is an export feature to export the midi map for the hitpoints.

I can easily paste this midi map into reaper and i can see the hitpoints in reaper, but i don't really know how to slice my groupped drum tracks this way with the imported midi notes

Can you help me how to do this, cause it saves a lot of time for drum editing, because with the Dynamic split, it is so fuckin annoying to edit cymbals :/

Thanks for your time guys!
SteveNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:18 AM   #172
SteveNSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsound View Post
looks good going to try it out on some drums tonight, do you have to have SSD trigger for this to work or is there something freeware that will suffice?

Thanks
I use this just for the clicks, cause it's zero latency:
apulSoft apTrigga2

For triggering Drumagog 5
SteveNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #173
nfpotter

Can someone sticky this thread? Too useful not to....

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #174
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post

Fade Shape: This determines the shape of the fades used when performing any crossfades. It is an integer from 0 to 5, the following chart explains which is which.

Hey Adam, I notice the current version doesn't have all the fade shapes any more. These actually come in handy for those of us who pocket vocals and dialog/VO etc. More than just drum editing can be done with this killer feature.

This thread also needs to be a sticky. What Adam put here is what many of us have been screaming for in Beat Detective for over a decade, with no answer from digidesign/Avid. It really is a huge game changer in editing as it combines the best of elastic audio and Beat Detective.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #175
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
Looks awesome! Do you now prefer this over slip editting? Your comments about slip vs this method was that there wasn't any stretching involved. I'm excited to try it out.
The problem with slip editing is if there are large timing issues (really late or early hits) you can get flams and other glitches.

My understanding is that the auto pocket results can be better and less time consuming BUT it requires an accurate transient reference track to make all the correct splits.

Reapers auto quantize function isn't really up to it using the original audio so Adam recommends using a 3rd party trigger app triggering a midi file and recording the output. This track is then used to make accurate splits. If you don't have something that can do this I would stick with slip editing.
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #176
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
The problem with slip editing is if there are large timing issues (really late or early hits) you can get flams and other glitches.
The best workflow I've found is using both slip editing and advanced item smoothing. Slip editing will keep a good junk of the natural performance that was played well, while advanced item smoothing can handle any of the wider gaps. It's a good fast combination. In comparison, Elastic Audio and Beat Detective workflows cant cant even touch the quality and speed of editing when using the above two methods.

This thread definitely needs to be made sticky.

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Last edited by Shan; 03-17-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #177
Magicbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
The best workflow I've found is using both slip editing and advanced item smoothing. Slip editing will keep a good junk of the natural performance that was played well, while advanced item smoothing can handle any of the wider gaps. It's a good fast combination. In comparison, Elastic Audio and Beat Detective workflows cant cant even touch the quality and speed of editing when using the above two methods.

This thread definitely needs to be made sticky.

Shane
Cool so how do you mix and match?

Would you slip-edit the beats that are slightly off, then do the normal split and move-to-grid for really bad ones, finally using auto fill (is that the same thing as advanced item smoothing?)to close the gaps?
Magicbuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #178
matsuri

matsuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #179
Jeronimo

I've been using your action a lot on the last few weeks and it's running GREAT!
Congrats!
Jeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #180
Smurf

OK....I guess this proves that I am a total "DUH!!!!" I JUST NOW fully got this action......

Went to the bottom of the thread, clicked on "Show Printable Version", selected "Show 100 post(s) from this thread on one page" at Top Right, and printed out this great thread to PDF for future "DUH!!" moments! LOL

Thank You AW & everyone else that has contributed!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #181
Simon J.

I've been playing around with this for some time now. Yesterday I edited like three songs worth of drum tracks and AutoPocket really helps speed up the process, but only once you have gotten past the experimenting stage and found out what works best for you.

My process ATM is a combination of different suggestions in this thread. This is my "tutorial," based on how I did it yesterday. It's kinda like a sum-up.

1) Duplicate BD and snare direct mic tracks. You can do this all with the toms too, but I've found it to be too time consuming to be really beneficial.
2) Gate both tracks with settings described by planetnine on page 4 of this thread
3) Render both as new mono takes and crop to active take
4) Implode the gated tracks into takes
5) Explode them in place and delete the remaining empty track
6) Glue them together
7) Do the dynamic split
8) Listen and watch the whole song through and split at every undetected transient
9) Quantize and fill with the settings you want
10) Listen and watch the whole song through again and correct mistakes.

The process can be taken a step into more elaborate direction too:

1) After gating insert JS trigger and adjust the settings
2) Use ReaSamplomatic to trigger d.bop's click sample from page 4 of this thread, or a sample of your own. Sampled drums didn't work well with me, they seemed to cause mistriggers
3) render trigger output as midi
4) Listen and watch the whole song through, delete and mark mistriggers and delete double etc trigs. If there are parts where different drums hit the same time, keep only the earliest hits.
5) Render audio generated by trigger
6) Split, quantize and so on

I spent some time yesterday reading about the different time stretching algorithms and at least it is said that élastique SOLOIST for one considers transients, ie. does not smear them (at least that's the impression I got).

This is what I did in practice. I ticked transient preservation off and set the maximum stretch slider to 0.5. I figured the drums wouldn't be that much off for most parts, so whatever the setting would be, the slices would rarely be stretched more that 0.7. I didn't notice any degration in sound quality when the stretching was in reasonable limits. Some slices, because of misdetections, were stretched to about 0.5 and sounded very bad. Once I corrected the slicing, I could stretch them back to more reasonable ratios, and the problem went away.

I've been reading other people's posts about elastic audio in Reaper and that's the reason I decided to try drum editing this way, disregarding the transient preservation function in AutoPocket.

What do you think people, could AutoPocket be improved by adding a possibility to correct timing by stretching every split into place? Algorithm permitting, that would essentially be the elastic audio function in Reaper.

But, as stated many times, this is a great piece of software. Thank you!
Simon J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #182
Andywanders

Is there a download link for this anywhere..?

Andy M. VST
Andywanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 AM   #183
G-Sun

Hi Adam!

started a wiki-page here:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/AW_-_Fill_gaps

Hope you don't mind me copying your instructions.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #184
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Hi Adam!

started a wiki-page here:
http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/AW_-_Fill_gaps

Hope you don't mind me copying your instructions.
Hi,

thx for doing that G Sun. And thx to Adam and all for these fine tools!

btw where has adam gone?^^

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #185
planetnine

I think Adam is one of those guys whose primary DAW is PT. He put a lot of effort in (as did many others) to ensure REAPER would do may of the things that PT can do, I think because there was much disillusionment with PT at the time.

We don't get such a strong PT crowd involvement as we did. There were a lot of disgruntled PTLE users before Avid released their native version, but that and subsequent releases seemed to keep them satiated

We do miss Adam and the likes of Shan in these halls, though.

Can't seem to get rid of that Airon, though...

>
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #186
Finnish

Just watched the video again after a while.. This is just amazing stuff!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #187
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I think Adam is one of those guys whose primary DAW is PT. He put a lot of effort in (as did many others) to ensure REAPER would do may of the things that PT can do, I think because there was much disillusionment with PT at the time.

We don't get such a strong PT crowd involvement as we did. There were a lot of disgruntled PTLE users before Avid released their native version, but that and subsequent releases seemed to keep them satiated

We do miss Adam and the likes of Shan in these halls, though.

Can't seem to get rid of that Airon, though...

>
Hi,

lol...thx!

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #188
SpecialRich

Would just like to say to whoever dug this thread up thank you!
It works brilliantly and this along with SWS extensions and tempo mapping have kept me more than entertained while sat in bed sick today!
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #189
antiClick

Any news about this?

please make this a sticky thread
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #190
EvilDragon

What news? AutoPocket is now part of SWS extensions.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #191
plant-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
What news? AutoPocket is now part of SWS extensions.
However, if you're looking for the action its called 'Fill Gaps' and no longer has Adam's name as part of the action.
plant-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #192
tigr

Hi, thought i`d post here:

Is there a way to get a linear crossfade in the current autofill sws release?

http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.ph...:Fill_gaps.png

This new thing doesn`t provide 6 but only 2 options ("equal gain" and "equal power"). Both create a volume drop in the process.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

EDIT:
Ok, i downloaded the latest SWS (with 6 options) but all the fade shapes remain super steep downwards. help?

Last edited by tigr; 09-18-2013 at 07:21 AM.
tigr is offline   Reply With Quote