Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #361
mixer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Didn't buy any plugs, but I did get a 4TB Seagate Portable HD for $100 off at Best Buy.

I almost got 2 as I can never have enough space, but I wasn't sure about having so much data on the exact same portable drives in case there are any manufacturing issues...
It's unlikely that BOTH drives would crash at the same time, but I hear what you're saying. I have three 4TB drives, different manufacturers just because I grabbed the sales as they came along. Not all for music, but I rest pretty assured that back-ups are safe. I have only had one hard drive failure where the disk stopped spinning -- gone, gone, gone, no hope of recovery. Fortunately, I had everything duplicated.

Hmm, time for a general backup, methinks.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #362
Jeffsounds

Nothing really caught my eye this year so I donated to Marines Toys For Tots.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #363
msundh

Got the SynthMaster
Old 12-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #364
keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Got the SynthMaster
yup me too.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #365
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Yep that's the one. Unbelievable giveaway - the pitchshifter and delay are very nice.
Well, back to the routine then. *whump*
Mind Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #366
pixeltarian

Here's my poor decisions of Black Friday/Cyber Monday:

Reason Essentials (no deal whatsoever, I just finally bit the bullet because it's the only software that forces me to just make music and nothing else).

DCAM CHANCOMP rack extension for half off. I didn't notice a usable compressor in reason, so I felt it was needed. Sounds pretty good. I like the crazy ratio mode that just destroys everything.

Now that that embarrassing reason business is out of the way... I did pick up:

Kontakt Essentials. The kicker was getting it for $25 AND getting a $25 voucher. But surprise! I don't get the voucher because you only get the voucher if you pay full price (says the fine print I read later). Oh well though. I like it for the piano alone. 60's Abbey Road drums are pretty cool too.

Waves H-comp (using the $30 discount and got it for like $14)
I don't really like it so far. It has no auto gain compensation, which annoys me. I wish I had money to buy the CLA compressors. Those shits are the real deal.

SPL EQ Rangers - These seem pretty great so far. Snagged them for like $9 or something stupid.

Free shit:
Waves TrueVerb - Nothing special and will probably push me over the edge and make me by Valhalla Room. I just want a lovely musical reverb that is simple and doesn't hog my CPU. Why is this so hard?!

SoundToys LitteAlterBoy - It's great. Everything SoundToys makes is great. Love the vocoder feature.

Klevgrand VanDelay - Super rad. I love it. Fun delay to play around with.

Klevgrand SVEP - sooooo freaking fun for diddling synth pads guitars and such. I think it's always free.

AudioThing Valve Filter VF-1 - Haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited.

Also a couple of sound banks and crap. Haven't messed with them yet.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:43 AM   #367
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post

Waves H-comp (using the $30 discount and got it for like $14)
I don't really like it so far. It has no auto gain compensation, which annoys me. I wish I had money to buy the CLA compressors. Those shits are the real deal.

SPL EQ Rangers - These seem pretty great so far. Snagged them for like $9 or something stupid.

Free shit:
Waves TrueVerb - Nothing special and will probably push me over the edge and make me by Valhalla Room. I just want a lovely musical reverb that is simple and doesn't hog my CPU. Why is this so hard?!
Best freeverb I've come across by a mile is still EpicVerb, and it comes with a ton of presets. Doesn't get much more simple than that. Sanford's reverb is very good as well, and used to be a paid plug, and it's easy to see why. If you are willing to pay, the Valhalla stuff is among the best you can get regardless of price.

I got those $9 EQ Rangers too, just on a whim, and they're pretty cool. Don't know if I'll actually use them much. *slaps forehead*

I bought a bundle of IK Multimedia compressors including their 76, LA2A, Fairchild 670, and Opto, then I bought the Waves API 2500 and I don't think I'll be using the IK's, certainly not all of them. I'm probably going to sell them pretty cheap if you might be interested, they're supposed to be better than the CLAs.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #368
Daniovan

Maybe some new virtual gear for them bass or e-guitar players ?-!

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html?door=3
Daniovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #369
Joaquins Void

As previously mentioned I got Cakewalk Rapture via CM issue 200, at 50% off at Zinio. Great bang for the buck though the presets are well dated. Loads SFZ multisamples which is very handy.

Also got UVI World Traditions at 30% off. A little disapointed. I had hoped for more instruments and not so many loops. A tonne of accordion loops that I'll never use. On the plus side theres a lot of voice samples which is always handy for ambient stuff.

That's the beauty of these discounts I suppose. You can take risks and if it doesn't pan out you can atleast comfort yourself with not having paid full price.
Joaquins Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #370
citizenkeith

I broke down and bought Kontakt. Diving into VSTi for the first time in any serious manner!
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #371
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I broke down and bought Kontakt. Diving into VSTi for the first time in any serious manner!
I bought Kontakt a while back on my great search for the ultimate drum VSTi, got it half off and on a crossgrade. After trying out a bunch of different samples from small studios and Kontakt's own Modern Drummer, which is excellent, I still ultimately went with Addictive Drums 2 and never use Kontakt on any kind of regular basis right now. Ha!

Still worth having in case I ever do any more orchestral stuff, or god knows what. It's such a massively flexible tool it's almost irresponsible not to get it when it's available really cheap.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #372
pixeltarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Riot View Post
I bought Kontakt a while back on my great search for the ultimate drum VSTi, got it half off and on a crossgrade. After trying out a bunch of different samples from small studios and Kontakt's own Modern Drummer, which is excellent, I still ultimately went with Addictive Drums 2 and never use Kontakt on any kind of regular basis right now. Ha!

Still worth having in case I ever do any more orchestral stuff, or god knows what. It's such a massively flexible tool it's almost irresponsible not to get it when it's available really cheap.
3rd party libraries. it's a whole crazy world. organs, pianos, electric pianos... keys in general are worth it alone.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #373
sostenuto

Quote:

Have Kontakt5 via (Komplete10), StylusRMX, Jamstix3. Also have Addictive Keys & ADD Demo.... considering Addictive Drums2. Keyboardist and little clue about decent drumming!

Seems like ADD2 CUSTOM might be a better choice than normal ADD2 ?? Do I get more solid, baseline content to add to, or start with CUSTOM choices from the get-go?

Just fishing for experienced User advice ..... same price
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #374
citizenkeith

Quote:
3rd party libraries. it's a whole crazy world. organs, pianos, electric pianos... keys in general are worth it alone.
I've been exploring some third party libraries, and like everything I've tried so far.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #375
Daniovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Have Kontakt5 via (Komplete10), StylusRMX, Jamstix3. Also have Addictive Keys & ADD Demo.... considering Addictive Drums2. Keyboardist and little clue about decent drumming!

Seems like ADD2 CUSTOM might be a better choice than normal ADD2 ?? Do I get more solid, baseline content to add to, or start with CUSTOM choices from the get-go?

Just fishing for experienced User advice ..... same price
You say you have Kontakt 5, so you should have Studio Drummer ?-! I mean, Studio Drummer is great, isn´t it ? Maybe you have forgotten that you have it ?-!
Old 12-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #376
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniovan View Post
You say you have Kontakt 5, so you should have Studio Drummer ?-! I mean, Studio Drummer is great, isn´t it ? Maybe you have forgotten that you have it ?-!
Studio Drummer AND AbbeyRoad libraries as well. Just reacting to Mind Riot post. I gathered (maybe incorrectly) that despite the notable Drum library content in Kontakt5, he felt XLN AD Drums 2 added something better. Not sure what that 'better' might be.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:49 AM   #377
Mind Riot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
Studio Drummer AND AbbeyRoad libraries as well. Just reacting to Mind Riot post. I gathered (maybe incorrectly) that despite the notable Drum library content in Kontakt5, he felt XLN AD Drums 2 added something better. Not sure what that 'better' might be.
Oh no, entirely preferential. There's a particular kit that I put together in AD1 that just really does it for me and even more so in AD2, and I don't use any of the new ADPAKS. It's kind of the sound in my head as a drummer, if I was approaching things as a producer I would be looking at things a totally different way.

I tried out all the other stuff to see if there was something out there that would knock my socks off as being better and there ultimately wasn't, AD just scratches my itch. But Modern Drummer, Studio Drummer, BFD, Slate, Toontracks' stuff, they're all fantastic in my opinion. I think they're all not just capable but actually rather extravagant tool sets.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:54 AM   #378
Mind Riot

Quote:
I bought Garritan Personal Orchestra 2 point-something years ago, around 2008 I think, for a project where I needed to come up with some embarrassing excuses for orchestral score and it was more than I ended up paying for Kontakt 5, which included virtually everything GPO had and a whole lot more. Even stock Kontakt comes with quite a lot of stuff to mess with, and some of the string sections are much better than GPO's (but I guess they've had seven years to improve, I've never upgraded GPO since then).
Old 12-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #379
sostenuto

Quote:
Oh no, entirely preferential. There's a particular kit that I put together in AD1 that just really does it for me and even more so in AD2, and I don't use any of the new ADPAKS. It's kind of the sound in my head as a drummer, if I was approaching things as a producer I would be looking at things a totally different way.

I tried out all the other stuff to see if there was something out there that would knock my socks off as being better and there ultimately wasn't, AD just scratches my itch. But Modern Drummer, Studio Drummer, BFD, Slate, Toontracks' stuff, they're all fantastic in my opinion. I think they're all not just capable but actually rather extravagant tool sets.
Got it! Quite clear on this now, but always clumsy for me as a 'virgin' non-drummer _ not one single hit .. ever !

Forced to cycle thru large User libraries purchased for StylusRMX, various drummers/kits/songs in Jamstix3, endless samples in Kontakt5 .... to find something for a specific mix.

Will still keep XLN ADD2 on my list.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #380
msundh

I bought the Kontakt 5 last years black friday at 50%, and think it was still too expensive. I need it for some other libs, but the kontakt itself, not impressed.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #381
richie43

If you are into the wide variety at Plugin Alliance, make sure you check daily for the Holiday sale, it changes daily.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #382
Daniovan

Black Friday deals make one forget how good some Reaper plugins actually are haha, though I am happy to have three more comps with unique character,
but I would never wonder again whether to buy me one more eq plugin again,
there are some pretty good eq plugins, but I always end up using

ReaEq mostly haha and there is is no project without ReaComp either

Reaper should offer these two plugins for 50 $ each on Black Friday haha
Old 12-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #383
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniovan View Post
Reaper should offer these two plugins for 50 $ each on Black Friday haha
As oppossed to free?