Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #41
schwa
Administrator

The tempo/time signature lane is the same pixel height in your screenshot as it is in ED's screenshot at maximum height. The only difference is that apparently your ruler isn't getting as small as his when compacted, which I will guess is because you have a customized toolbar that is taller than his. Also his font is smaller. But the space available in the tempo/time signature lane is the same.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #42
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

My font is same size actually, it's just bold.

EDIT: Actually yeah. I use Arial bold 9, default uses Calibri regular 10. Awesome how much a bold font can influence perception.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:08 AM   #43
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The tempo/time signature lane is the same pixel height in your screenshot as it is in ED's screenshot at maximum height. The only difference is that apparently your ruler isn't getting as small as his when compacted, which I will guess is because you have a customized toolbar that is taller than his. Also his font is smaller. But the space available in the tempo/time signature lane is the same.
I think I have just a pretty standard toolbar don't I? It's only 2 lines, one on top of the other. Is that really what causes the discrepancy?

As ED discovered, a font can have a huge impact on this "padding" is it possible to adjust it a hair to accommodate this? Just an idea. Not 15px just maybe a smidge Whatever that means hehe

If the padding is not adjusted, it's clear that people will be forced into choosing between using the font of their choice, or being able to enjoy this new time+tempo marker feature. Essentially they have to pick a font based on the padding. And as you know certain fonts carry over across Reaper so it impacts more than just the ruler. Walter fonts are interconnected elsewhere
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #44
schwa
Administrator

To be clear... you find this unusable? (your screenshot)

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #45
lowellben

Quote:
To be clear... you find this unusable? (your screenshot)

I found it different and not as much padding as ED's screencap yes. Due to the font, we discovered

I just changed the font to a few random Windows ones and they ALL have this tightness. Except Arial lol kinda forces the hand I guess

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=44
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #46
EvilDragon

It's not too tight at all. There's perfectly enough padding between the two rows IMHO.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #47
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's not too tight at all. There's perfectly enough padding between the two rows IMHO.
Ok then. Was just trying to help. People are likely used to the fonts they've chosen for a while now in Reaper. On Windows, many fonts have poor placement in this new timetempo column so I guess they'll have to change their fonts in order to use it easier. Walter fonts are connected so if you change it for one, it likely affects other areas of the GUI. I don't know them by memory so I guess it'll be trial and error.

Thought the padding was a good idea moving forward. Thanks ED.
Rather than accomodate 1000000 fonts in the wild, I figured adding a smidge of more default base padding would overall help all users with whatever fonts they use.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #48
juliansader

Just a little thingy: if tempos and timesigs are in separate lanes, the last timesig in a project does not fully highlight:

Last edited by juliansader; 11-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #49
hopi

region copies to the left side of itself.. win7 64 reaper 64

it does copy but it does a strange thing: It inserts the same amount of space as the region size between the copy and the original region

this seems to be a bug... I would expect the original to just stay where it is and the copy to show up exactly adjacent to it at the left...

Last edited by hopi; 11-20-2017 at 10:08 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #50
ovnis

Quote:
We might add something to ensure that region edits snap to other region edges even if something else in the project is a little closer.
The issue still continues.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #51
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
This gif is slightly different then the one I posted in the pre13 thread. It also shows REAPER refusing to copy the region to the left side of itself, as well as the different grid relationship that results that I showed in pre13 thread when copying to the right side.

edit. I should point out that the tempo at start in the copy is different, and also the other points land off of their original grid positions.
Here's that RPP.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp nov17pre15b-rjIII.RPP (3.0 KB, 101 views)
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #52
Mr. Data

Dunno if this was addressed before, but in colorful themes it gets obvious, that the line of the time/sig marker is not continuous, while the lines of markers and regions are.

As a sideneote:
Don't really like the rounded headings of regions. It looks quite strange to me that the region heading protrudes beyond the right side of the region itself. IMO they should look like the time/sig markers in pre14 looked like, since a rectangular strip would show regions start and end more accurately and if there's not enough room even to fit the region number (e.g. when zooming out), it could be placed on the right side of the region, just like it was with time/sig markers in pre14. But that's just my opinion.
Markers IMO look good though.

As we're at it, maybe it would be a good idea to make it possible to even change the order of marker strips and timeline, so that e.g. one could have the time/sig strip on top, if (s)he wants to.

-Data

Last edited by Mr. Data; 11-20-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #53
FnA

from pre 13 thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
These region move bugs are unpredictable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Sometimes it works 4 times in a row, but the 5th gets screwed.
I came across this after writing that. In other words, it's not the first time I've seen something like this in this pre cycle.

Region was copied several times apparently with success, then Region 6 ends up with a different start shape in the tempo envelope and extends past the bar line.

You may want to get what you want out of it, then try over, undo, try over, etc. To see if you get different results any or each time.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp nov17pre15e-SuccessThenFailure.RPP (3.8 KB, 99 views)
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:57 AM   #54
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
v5.65pre15 - November 19 2017
+ Preferences: add option to display/hide arrange view gridlines for project regions/markers and/or time signature changes
[p=1912760]
GREAT!!! And action too, please!!
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #55
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
GREAT!!! And action too, please!!
Already done! "Ruler: Display project regions/markers as gridlines in arrange view".
Old 11-21-2017, 02:44 AM   #56
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Already done! "Ruler: Display project regions/markers as gridlines in arrange view".
oops, ok. And toggle action too?
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #57
EvilDragon

That IS a toggle action!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:52 AM   #58
_Stevie_

It would be great if we had the ability to change the tempo with the mouse wheel. Workflow would be:

- select the tempo event
- mouse wheel to change the tempo
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #59
Mr. Data

You can do this already by hovering the mouse cursor over the tempo display of the transport field. You can even use qualifiers to set the tempo more accurately in .0 .00 .000, depending on the qualifier (combination). This, btw is also possible with start, end and position of the time selection and the playrate.

But nonetheless, it would be good, if we could enter data everywhere this way.

-Data
Old 11-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #60
DANIELE

It's been a long time since I wanted to ask this thing: can you add an option to maximise/minimize docker window (and also maybe obey to auto size Windows options) if I keep it detached from the main window, it would be very handy not to have to manually resize the window each time I put it on a secondary or third display to fit all the space available.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #61
_Stevie_

Mr. Data, true! Now if the tempo field wasn't all the way down
_Stevie_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #62
Mr. Data

Well yes, that's true, Stevie.
In fact it's a matter of circumstance and taste. I, for instance, find it more convenient to have the transport field right above the arrange view sorta in the middle of the screen, and so the way is not too far to go with the mouse.
But as I say - it's a matter of taste.

-Data
Old 11-22-2017, 03:34 AM   #63
mirceablue

Default LAZY midi editor

Is something changed in the last versions of Reaper regarding midi editing interface updating ? I get a very annoying lag when I move notes and specially midi velocities inside the midi editor. The velocities move approx a second later after I move my mouse in the new position kind of jumpy . I remember Reaper had this problem long time ago but was fixed.
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:48 AM   #64
vanhaze

I am sorry to be of no help but do you also see that the Play cursor in MIDI Editor stalls (doens't move smoothly to the right) when doing any midi editing in MIDI Editor ?
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 AM   #65
mirceablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I am sorry to be of no help but do you also see that the Play cursor in MIDI Editor stalls (doens't move smoothly to the right) when doing any midi editing in MIDI Editor ?
Yup that too. But it doesn't bother me so much since is not something I interact with .
mirceablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 AM   #66
vanhaze

Ok, i understand :0)
Thank you for the info !
Old 11-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #67
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirceablue View Post
Is something changed in the last versions of Reaper regarding midi editing interface updating ? I get a very annoying lag when I move notes and specially midi velocities inside the midi editor. The velocities move approx a second later after I move my mouse in the new position kind of jumpy . I remember Reaper had this problem long time ago but was fixed.
I've noticed that too. Lots of lag in screen refreshing on both the editor and the arranger.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #68
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirceablue View Post
It would be great if you could submit a bug report (with screenshot etc) in the Bug Reports subforum. You can also check out threads such as:
MIDI editor: Recent versions get unnecessarily bogged down if multiple takes visibl
Sluggish MIDI Editor
Old 11-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #69
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Ok then. Was just trying to help. People are likely used to the fonts they've chosen for a while now in Reaper. On Windows, many fonts have poor placement in this new timetempo column so I guess they'll have to change their fonts in order to use it easier. Walter fonts are connected so if you change it for one, it likely affects other areas of the GUI. I don't know them by memory so I guess it'll be trial and error.

Thought the padding was a good idea moving forward. Thanks ED.
Rather than accomodate 1000000 fonts in the wild, I figured adding a smidge of more default base padding would overall help all users with whatever fonts they use.
The tempo/timesig lane does indeed seem slightly scrunched compared to the other lanes: