Old 06-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
kotsaris
Human being with feelings

Default Play button stopped working!

Suddenly I can not use play at all in Reaper.I used all different versions of "play" from actions,but nothings plays.Any ideas?
kotsaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
richie43

This sounds like a glitch with your audio interface. If it is a USB interface, try either powering it down and restarting it, or unplug it and plug it back in. You could try rebooting the computer too.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
kotsaris

Actually after I restarted the computer it worked OK.But when I changed the project ASIO buffer from 128 samples to 1024,it stopped played once again.Then,tried to change the buffer size to previous one,but still nothing.Also,after restarting Reaper it doesn't play.
Does anyone know something about that?
Old 06-30-2017, 04:58 AM   #4
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotsaris View Post
Actually after I restarted the computer it worked OK.But when I changed the project ASIO buffer from 128 samples to 1024,it stopped played once again.Then,tried to change the buffer size to previous one,but still nothing.Also,after restarting Reaper it doesn't play.
Does anyone know something about that?
I'll say it again (and I am even more convinced):
This is a problem with your audio interface, not likely Reaper. It would be helpful if you shared your system specs (OS, CPU, and most importantly, your audio interface). Look for updates for the asio driver for your interface.
In fact, any time you have a problem or question, you can help speed up the process by sharing as much info as possible, instead of vague questions with little details. This is an unusually helpful and knowledgeable forum, but no one can begin to find answers with vagueness.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:13 AM   #5
kotsaris

My audio interface is an SPL Crimson.CPU is a 4820k,Reaper 5.4 and OS Win7.
I run the latest drivers on audio interface.The PC is offline and using it a couple of years with no problem like the one mentioned.
I haven't changed anything at my setup to believe that is a hardware issue.Still,it's possible...
Old 06-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
richie43

I don't own the same interface, but I think it is "interesting" that after a 2 minute search online about this interface, am already finding quite a few reviews and complaints complaining about drivers, stability issues with Windows, latency problems, etc. I can say that I have experienced the same problems with Reaper suddenly having a "broken" playback, and every time it was due to driver issues with the interface.

Here's a little reading....
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Crimson/reviews

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...ease-help.html
Old 06-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #7
kotsaris

I searched for similar issues too.They are mostly complaining for cracking noises and latency.But it supposedly solved with latest drivers.
Still,my problem is somehow different.As I said it affects Reaper after buffer size change.The strange thing is that it has to do only with the play action.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #8
richie43

Quote:
I searched for similar issues too.They are mostly complaining for cracking noises and latency.But it supposedly solved with latest drivers.
Still,my problem is somehow different.As I said it affects Reaper after buffer size change.The strange thing is that it has to do only with the play action.
I understand your frustration, truly. My suspicion about the interface is mainly because if this was a Reaper issue more than a hardware/driver issue, I would suspect that we would see more threads like this because it would affect more systems.
So...for "fun" (we audio geeks can be an odd bunch...lol), try completely uninstalling all interface drivers, reboot your computer, and reinstall the newest drivers. Sometimes an installation can get wonky....tart there and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
kotsaris

Alright,thanks for the recommendation.I'll try that later and post the results.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:14 AM   #10
westie07

Hi Kotsaris, it might not be related, but it might be worth browsing these threads.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...focusrite+asio

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...focusrite+asio

Hope it helps.

rob
westie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:54 AM   #11
kotsaris

I tried to reinstall the drivers,but nothing changed.After a while it suddenly stopped again.
But I think that I found the solution.Changed the usb port of the audio interface from 3.0 to 2.0.It was put on port 3 by accident.So far everything works.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #12
richie43

Quote:
I tried to reinstall the drivers,but nothing changed.After a while it suddenly stopped again.
But I think that I found the solution.Changed the usb port of the audio interface from 3.0 to 2.0.It was put on port 3 by accident.So far everything works.
Ha...I was just wondering that...also wondering if maybe the ports were set to power down when idle (default for many computers).