Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default HOW DO I? - Apply a specific sound effect to just one single word on a track?

I am a singer and I am recording the song 'Somewhere' made famous by Barbra Streisand. If you listen to her version, I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like the first word or two has a certain sound effect on vs most of the rest of the song.

Is it possible to do this without a whole separate track?
sjs94704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Judders

You could create an aux channel and automate the send level.

Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Judders

...or you could apply the processing as a take fx:

Old 11-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I am a singer and I am recording the song 'Somewhere' made famous by Barbra Streisand. If you listen to her version, I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like the first word or two has a certain sound effect on vs most of the rest of the song.

Is it possible to do this without a whole separate track?
Sure. Automate a send or what have you. YMMV but for an effect on just a single word, for me splitting that out to its own track would be the easier quick solution. And then you can just grab that channels fader during the mix to adjust without having to edit automation. If automation seems easier to you then do that though. Lots of different paths to the same end.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
sjs94704

Default Thanks to all who replied!

I really appreciate all your advice and for taking the time to answer.

I'm out the door for a meeting but I will investigate your answers further when I get back!

Thanks Again,

Steven
Berkeley, CA USA

See the attached PIC of me with my dog Sadie!

Last edited by sjs94704; 02-14-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
sjs94704

Default Judders, I selected YOUR suggestion!

doing things the way you suggested has been sitting there right in front of my face all the time! If it were a snake it would have bit me!

After watching the video you connected to your comments I tried it out and it works GREAT for my purposes!

Thank You so much! ......

I myself am still getting used to the terminology of mixing let alone mixing skills!

I tell you what! For a total newbie all of what reaper can do makes my heard spin!
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Judders

Cool!

You should watch as many Kenny Gioia videos as you can, especially the "REAPER 5 Explained" ones.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
sjs94704

Default Followup Question ... Can you please suggest an FX Chain for this?

If you listen to Barbra Streisand's song 'Somewhere', the very last word of the song, the word 'Somewhere' she holds for a long time. I might be wrong, but it sounds like a specific FX chain is on that last word than the rest of the song.

If you do decided to listen to her version, can anyone suggest an FX chain that does not exactly duplicate that effect but can point me in the right direction to getting a similar effect?

If you would be willing and able to give me some feedback on this I would be grateful!

-Steven
Berkeley, CA USA
Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #9
Judders

It's reverb. As she holds that note they bring the dry level of her down while the reverb channel is brought up.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:25 AM   #10
sjs94704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
It's reverb. As she holds that note they bring the dry level of her down while the reverb channel is brought up.
Sounds Cool! Now that I have already recorded the song, is there a way for me have a similar effect post recording of the vocal?
Old 11-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Sounds Cool! Now that I have already recorded the song, is there a way for me have a similar effect post recording of the vocal?
Yes. It probably would have been done during mixing in the original too.

This explains fx in REAPER:

This explains automation:

I've already posted one of Kenny's videos on sends and receives earlier in the thread.

All you need is to send your vocal track to what is known as an aux track (auxiliary track, auxiliary because it does not contain its own audio, but processes other audio tracks that are sent to it in parallel). You can use the included fx "ReaVerberate" on this aux track (in the Cockos folder). The preset "wide wide" will be a good starting point. It is important when using sends fx that you bring the "dry" slider all the way down. For the effect you want, you automate a slow fade-out of the vocal track, while you automate a slow gain increase on the reverb aux track.

Here is another video from Kenny going over the basics of adding reverb to a vocal:

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
sjs94704

Default Hey Judders! Once again, thaks so much!

It is clear that you have taken some time to put your answers together for me with enough explanation to point me in the direction I need to now go! I'll check into what you've said here and let you know how things turn out!

Could I send you my project so you can see for sure what I have done and maybe offer other input as well?