Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #41
DanXIV
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
I couldn't see if this was mentioned or not, but the feature I wish was in the explorer most is simply the ability to automatically filter the listed items based on the track selection. In other words, the explorer would only show media items originating in the selected track(s) in this mode.
It's a good idea but I think it would be better in the Project Media/FX Bay.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #42
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanXIV View Post
It's a good idea but I think it would be better in the Project Media/FX Bay.
interesting, never heard of the project media/fx bay. where do i find that?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Currently it's only possible to place a file based on its start and not by its end.

Ah so we are getting ghosted midi items in v4?? that would be so lovely... But that option in the snap settings doesn't affect this? I only ask because I just found it myself.
What if you grab the file name toward the right side? Ha,

I like to go through the preferences of a new program and mess up everything right away so I'm forced to endure agonizing weeks of trying to get things really working by figuring out why they're not. Some might say that's a poor strategy, but I just cannot help myself. I don't quite know what that statement had to do with anything, but again, I just couldn't help myself.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #44
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooFox View Post
I don't know if ghosted (globally editable) MIDI items are coming in v4 or not, but this would at least make my own makeshift ghosting system vastly more functional.
Ghosted MIDI has already been added to v4.

I added a few more things, but the list is starting to get a bit long, so when I get a chance I'll try my best to do a bit of cleanup and prioritizing in hopes that some of this stuff makes it in beta1 and v4 final.

I'm super keen on this:

Being able to preview ANY midi file on time, in context and in key would be HUGE!

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-07-2011 at 08:26 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #45
foxAsteria

Quote:
Being able to preview ANY midi file on time, in context and in key would be HUGE!
we already have that too...it's called a musician

btw in the latest alpha i tried copying a MIDI item with the automatic ghost preference on but when i edited it, it didn't affect the original, so I thought it still wasn't quite there.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #46
dadek

Quote:
I'm super keen on this:

+++10000000000

This should have been automatically added when we got it in the midi editor.

...add quantize as well for good measure?
dadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #47
fixerdave

Default media explorer coulomb width

hi there..

In media explorer you can change the widths of the coulombs for eg 'name' 'type' 'size' ect. But you can't save the change. If you use 'Windows Explorer' mode then they are at the same size as the Windows size (which can be changed and saved). I prefer the native option, so can we be able to save the width information ? dave
fixerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #48
Press

i wish the search worked like it does in reason. i guess thats the ability to search within child folders, would be added bonus to search for specific file types, similar how you can be loading a dr rex player and have the search only find rexs.
Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #49
PitchSlap

A shorter list of things that might fall under beta jurisdiction

• Folder search (with sub-dirs option).(example)
  • Metadata/tag support for media files (allow searching/filtering by file details [comments, genre, artist etc.]).
  • Right-click: Open current folder in Explorer (for things we can't do in the ME)
  • Right-click: Open file in primary/secondary external editor.
  • Precise numeric entry of selection range.
  • Action to play and insert at playback cursor (assignable to MIDI or keyboard shortcut).
    (see: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3151)
  • Tempo Match flexibility. The current half, 1 and 2x are fixed options, /2 and x2 are functions (which could just as easily be 0.25 or 8x while taking up the same UI space).
  • Option to immediately start playback on the correct beat rather than having to wait for the bar start. (This would allow much faster auditioning of many files while retaining the advantage of tempo match and start on bar.)
  • Pitch/transpose knob: Left-click increases by one semi-tone, right-click decrease by one semi-tone.
  • Dropdown to select the pitch/time-stretching algorithm as the material dependent limitations/strengths of different algorithms are really obvious with the more extreme stretching and pitch-shifting we can now do.
  • When dragging onto the timeline, apply time-stretching to ghost so we can accurately place files (example).
  • Option to constrain pitch-shift when switching files.
  • Ability to have 'stretch to fit' apply to the whole item or just the selection. For example this would allow selecting only 2 bars of a drum loop after it has been correctly stretched based on the whole loop. Especially useful with files for existing tempo information.
  • Option to use last selected item/selection as source for track "draw a copy" (pencil) mouse action.
  • Tab/show/snap to transients in the waveform preview (optimally with sensitivity knob). (example)
  • L/R channel selection.
  • Routing to tracks, rather than just physical outputs. This would allow hearing the selection in the context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi.
  • When the project is playing and 'Start on bar' is enabled, clicking a new file continues playing the current file until the start of the bar. This is similar to 'smooth seeking'. (current behavior stops playback of the current file, leaving silence until the bar starts)
  • Scroll-bar with zooming capability.
  • Replicate the arrangement zoom speed with a modifier for the current behavior (fine-tuning).
  • Reverse.
  • Looping regardless of selection length. Currently Reaper with only loop sections of a certain length and will pause before the playback is restarted.
  • Allow the waveform preview to be fully collapsed and replaced by a thin bar to show playback position and allow selection (useful when re-sized to a low height).
  • Volume handle on waveform preview (so we can more easily see low level material).
  • Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at.
  • Slipping the preview with Alt + drag so loops can be started at places other than the first beat, yet still loop.
  • Multiple instances of the Media Explorer for multiple dockers ("I got two Media Explorers and a microphone..." ). Multiple explorers with collapsible browser would allow us to stick a bunch of explorers in a docker set to our favorite folders. Being able to rename the instances (drums, fx, etc.) would be pretty helpful for telling them apart.
  • Show/snap to individual slices of REX files.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #50
slops

Quote:
[list] [*]Folder search (with sub-dirs option).(example)
this would be a great feature added, but personally i'm not a fan of the example posted. maybe that could be an advanced search, but that would be slow for the post production work i do.

the current filter box with results underneath is perfect, I just need the filter box to actually search sub directories and show the results rather than filtering results of the current directory.

i'm sure i am beating a dead horse since this has been discussed a million times. i just dont want the search function to solely turn into that posted example...
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #51
phrenik

please have it remember added columns when using the windows explorer! i sort my folders by "date created" and i always have to recreate the column when going back out to the parent folder, so annoying!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #52
hopi

too tired to read much... but... I've suggested a few times that when bringing in audio items to a project with tempo match ON, that the imported item be automatically glued to itself to eliminate the huge cpu load that a bunch of these can produce...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #53
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
too tired to read much... but... I've suggested a few times that when bringing in audio items to a project with tempo match ON, that the imported item be automatically glued to itself to eliminate the huge cpu load that a bunch of these can produce...
Personally I wouldn't like this as my computer is fast and I regret pitch/time-stretch gluing I did on older projects with my old computer as now I can't tweak the settings, and if elastique3 comes out with improvements it would be harder to take advantage of it.

You can use Ctrl+Alt+drag and that will render to a new file which should apply pitch/time stretching.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #54
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
this would be a great feature added, but personally i'm not a fan of the example posted. maybe that could be an advanced search, but that would be slow for the post production work i do.

the current filter box with results underneath is perfect, I just need the filter box to actually search sub directories and show the results rather than filtering results of the current directory.

i'm sure i am beating a dead horse since this has been discussed a million times. i just dont want the search function to solely turn into that posted example...
Me either. That was the only example I've seen posted, so I used it. The filter box is fine, but we also need more advanced search in my opinion that can support meta-tags. For anyone with a gigantic amount of samples, filenames alone aren't sufficient.

I'd love to see an example from a DAW that 'does it right', especially from those doing post production work as sample organization is paramount for their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I think when rendering to a new file with Ctrl+Alt+drag pitch/time-stretching should be applied.

And while I used to support automatic gluing I don't anymore, mainly because now I have a much faster computer, and I've noticed time-stretching artifacts after gluing in the past and now it's hard to fix after the fact.

Another reason I don't support this is because we don't have any control over the pitch/time-stretching algorithm in the Media Explorer. What may work best for drums isn't likely to be ideal to polyphonic music.

The final reason is what if elastique3 comes out with much improved quality? With every item automatically glued it would be a nightmare to try to take advantage of the new algorithm.

Fitting with the Reaper philosophy, I wholly support it as an option, just not the default behavior.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #55
PitchSlap

*BUMP* for Media Explorer Search!!!! Manually browsing through hundreds of gigs and millions of files is not fun, nor productive when trying to create music.

Thanks a million!
Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #56
run, megalodon

Don't want to be a broken record but I really hope something is done about the minimum size of the ME when docked to the side before 4 is released. Right now it's a waste of space and pretty clunky.

Thanks A BILLION!

Last edited by run, megalodon; 07-25-2011 at 08:52 PM.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #57
PitchSlap

Added in a request to select a random file in the current folder (no duplicates). This would be useful for when you're trying to find the right shaker loop out of 1000 to keep the auditioning process from getting boring and things like that...

Also added a request for "Zoom to Selection" / "Zoom Out Full" actions

Last edited by PitchSlap; 09-16-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 AM   #58
PitchSlap

Thanks for the Media Explorer love Cockos!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #59
Morpion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Quoting myself from this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=71974
I hadn't realised this - I wondered how I had so many .reapeaks files when I was sure they were for files I'd not used in projects. I'd like to be able to stop this happening too.

And I love the MIDI suggestions for the media browser. In key, pitch and time previewing would be fantastic.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #60
PitchSlap

Yes please!

A text filter that doesn't take into account sub-folders is way too rudimentary for a program of Reaper's maturity considering beta versions of 1.0 competitors have full and eloquent support of meta-data for sample database searching and management...
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #61
hopi

Default I have this as a FR topic...

Quote:
As it is, we can select various audio media items [for example a bunch of snare drum hits] and then in the Media Explorer we can find a different snare hit and rt clk on it and replace all the selected items with it. Nice.

But we can't replace those items with just a selected portion of the wav in the Media Explorer.

This feature request is for that.

example:
1-select various media items on whatever tracks
2-load a wav files into the ME
3-select a portion of that wav
4-rt clk on the selected portion and have it replace all selected media items in the project.

Thanks
so you can comment on it here AND in the FR topic
Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #62
musicbynumbers

Bumping this for metadata being searchable!

I'm sure Justin and Schwa could pull of metadata being searchable at least in a created database.

This is the last thing stopping a sound designer for games I know switching from cubase!

You wouldn't even have to show the metadata just show search results that have those words in the metadata
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #63
PitchSlap

Default 8 months now...

Yes! I've had to resort to renaming much of my sample library to compensate for the lack of meta-data or any meaningful search functionality in the Media Explorer.

My sample library is well over a terrabyte (which I'm sure is puny compared to some working in film/game sound design) which is hard to sort through with out this.

It's been over 8 months now since the Media Explorer last appeared in Reaper's changelog which I must admit is a little frustrating considering the amount of time I spend with it.

I just hope that it gets it's day soon and some of the low-hanging fruit in this thread can be given some consideration...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #64
PitchSlap

I added a request for an option to snap start/end point to zero-crossings to prevent clicks.

Also in the time since I started this thread the ONE request that would enhance my creative use of the Media Explorer would be an option to lock the pitch-shift amount.

The reason for this is so I can sort/filter my samples by key and only need to adjust the pitch-shift amount one time for batch previewing. Currently it resets every time I select a file so it's cumbersome changing it each time, and previewing out of key samples kills the vibe.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 06-10-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #65
musicbynumbers

Useful idea that!

I'd like to add that if you go to render something in the render window the media explorer should automatically "offline" the last media it was playing because more often than not I want to overwrite a file but can't because it was the last one played in media explorer.

Also, to "rea-ask" that we can have the option for the current preview fader level to be use for the imported media's either item level or fader level. Very useful for quickly dragging in new samples at the level you had then previewing at.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 06-11-2013 at 04:53 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 AM   #66
lucky_bleeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Useful idea that!

I'd like to add that if you go to render something in the render window the media explorer should automatically "offline" the last media it was playing because more often than not I want to overwrite ite a file but can't because it was the last one played in media explorer.
Hi MBn, pendle here : )

I'm 100% behind you on this , it constantly slows me up having to go back into explorer and reselect a new item just to be able to do a render.
lucky_bleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #67
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_bleeder View Post
Hi MBn, pendle here : )

I'm 100% behind you on this , it constantly slows me up having to go back into explorer and reselect a new item just to be able to do a render.
Hi Pendle!

Indeed. It's a niggle that keeps on nibbling!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #68
Arnar

Yes, the resetting pitch knob is soooo annoying.

Apart from that I second all the suggestions made in this thread for making the MX more usable . It could be a killer tool.

And ...the rearoute tab has been there for ages , non-functional.
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #69
PitchSlap

*BUMP for Version 5*

Added a few more things:

-Snap selection to beats when tempo-match is enabled (selecting/looping 2 bars of a 4 bar drum loop etc.).

and

-Support for shortcut files. This would allow jumping to different folders in the Media Explorer via OS shortcuts.

When I get some time I'd like to clean up the main list and add anything I've missed since now seems like a pretty good time to draw attention to desired Media Explorer improvements. It's already very powerful for production, but with a small amount of development resources it could improve by leaps and bounds!

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to add them.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:54 AM   #70
planetnine

I would be grateful for any BWF wav metadata being included in the filter.

>
Old 02-12-2015, 03:16 AM   #71
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

>
YES PLEASE!!

I don't want to have to use 3rd party systems for searching SFX libraries if we can get reaper to include the metadata in the search/filter for the database files.

The other one that would be useful is a tick box to allow the preview volume in the media explorer to become the volume of the newly created track for the item you just dragged in.

That would save a lot of time!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #72
planetnine

The original bext chunk was devised to label information on the origin and working history into wav files.

BWF is arguably the native audio format for DAWs, and so tools for searching/filtering and amending this information should really be incorporated into the management workflow of any DAW or editor -and for REAPER that means Media Explorer through to item properties and labelling tools.

Edit: I know we have source properties, but that is starting to feel like a courtesy add-on rather than integrated functionality (speaking from a professional workflow POV).

>
Old 03-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #73
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post

>
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The other one that would be useful is a tick box to allow the preview volume in the media explorer to become the volume of the newly created track for the item you just dragged in.
I edited the original post to include BWF metadata support for the filter.
Using the preview volume for new tracks would be great and is already listed.

I also added a few new things:
  • Visually differentiate between shortcuts and databases, or separate into collapsible sections.
  • Drag and drop files and/or folders to add to databases. This would be MUCH faster than needing to manually browse for one folder at a time.

With many shortcuts things easily get messy and with databases mixed in, it's really hard to tell what's what. Also needing to browse from root to add each folder to databases is a total PITA. If we could just drag and drop files/folders from the explorer window to add them to databases it would be SO much quicker.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 03-21-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #74
musicbynumbers

nice job pitchslap
Old 05-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #75
X-Raym

Nice list !
I would like to ask the possibility to see if the file is already use in the project (just as in the project bay) or if it is not used in the project (this is something the project bay can't do)
It would be very useful when we have a lot of sounds of a folder to import and place.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 AM   #76
Lopez

Quote:
FOLDERS / FILE BROWSER
  • Collapsible folder browser (for width challenged side-docking)
Aka "Tree view". Not implemented within 5 years

Still waiting for that!
Old 10-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #77
AndreyMarchenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Aka "Tree view". Not implemented within 5 years

Still waiting for that!
Yepp! This one is great idea!
AndreyMarchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:24 AM   #78
flipotto

bump a la bump
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #79
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
bump a la bump

The Media Explorer is still the most important part of my production process and my favorite part of Reaper.

After 7 years of inspiration/insight, love/hate, quirks/frustration since this thread was started, it might be time for a "v6 Requests and Suggestions" thread.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #80
musicbynumbers

I'd still love the simple one of having the option to have the media explorer preview volume level be what the item gain is set on the item you drag in

That would help so much for sound design when you are normally dealing in -23LUFS and where 0dB is definitely unwanted!