Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 05-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #481
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Not sure if "sometimes" is easier than "it never works" to problem find
Since Linux on a Live stick is so easy, can't you just do a quick check look see with a quick REAPER see if ReaSynth works, on the Live stick, no need to install the distro even
Mythbuster that one out

Also, REAPER have worked on all distros i tried with straight ALSA, so this would be news to me if it was a problem on the REAPER side.
I can on purpose screw up ALSA by installing and running Cadence or something like that, then ALSA could turn into wewwy busy/in use or something like an oopsie like that.

Think even Steam can do something if it is open in the background.. but that's another story

My gear/gizmo is straight USB though, hmm

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-11-2020 at 10:29 AM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #482
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

I have tried all that stuff. I downloaded afresh, moved the ".config/REAPER" folder so it was forced to create a new one. When I do that having already lost the keyboard in my regular install, the keyboard is still missing in the "portable" fresh install. Only a system restart fixes things.

I won't bang on about this much longer other than to repeat one last time that other DAWs continue to function with the MIDI keyboard as does aconnectgui even without a system restart. Cue the question "why don't you just use the other DAW?"
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #483
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivereto Esplorado View Post
I won't bang on about this much longer other than to repeat one last time that other DAWs continue to function with the MIDI keyboard as does aconnectgui even without a system restart. Cue the question "why don't you just use the other DAW?"
What happens if you only use REAPER, and never launch the other DAWs?

I never lose communication with the 5 pin midi on my Behringer UMC1820 or the USB midi from my Akai MPD26 using REAPER, but I never launch any other DAWs. Just wondering if using one of the other DAWs could leave midi looking to the OS like it's still in use. Also, I leave my UMC1820 powered on pretty much all the time if that makes any difference.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #484
SmajjL

I Believe you that you have these problems and good you have tried these rule out stuff so we can boil stuff down, very curious why myself and i think there is a reason somewhere, just need to find it, don't give up! info is good

--

Tried Ardour and LMMS that is new stuff to me, but got MIDI working in both and none of them destroyed REAPER, here.
Mixbus required mail and blabla just for a demo so, did not do that one

Last edited by SmajjL; 05-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.
SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #485
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
What happens if you only use REAPER, and never launch the other DAWs?

I never lose communication with the 5 pin midi on my Behringer UMC1820 or the USB midi from my Akai MPD26 using REAPER, but I never launch any other DAWs. Just wondering if using one of the other DAWs could leave midi looking to the OS like it's still in use. Also, I leave my UMC1820 powered on pretty much all the time if that makes any difference.
I only ever try Ardour and Mixbus if and when Reaper has lost the connection to see if the issue is system wide.

I plug and unplug my 204HD all the time given it has no power switch and I like to use my desktop speakers and internal soundcard with firefox.

I can have cadence open, pulseaudio killed, pulseaudio daemon running etc but only Reaper ever has the issue. I need to drill down when this happens but I think it is immediately after starting Reaper up versus it happening mid-session.

EDIT: Confirmed. As soon as I go to arm a track after startup some times (not all the time! ), I only see hw:virmidi stuff (plus the other virtual keyboards). Only a system restart fixed it temporarily.

Last edited by Rivereto Esplorado; 05-11-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #486
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Cross-posting my reply here: I can't reproduce that with 6.10.

Are you running scripts or something?
I think it's due to my settings. I have another installation on a laptop and the problem does not occur there. I'll make some test with a fresh project and see.
I only have SWS and Reapack installed, but nothing is running by default.

Thanks.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #487
Held

When you increase the default font size in libSwell.colortheme, many GUI elements don't scale accordingly. See the screenshot with examples from t preferences menu and the actions window.

Since fonts are really small on my screen, I really need to increase the font size considerable to work comfortably. A fix or solution would be greatly appreciated.

(I posted about this also in a new thread, but didn't get any responses. Maybe due to a poorly chosen title...)
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #488
Hypex

Another issue I have noticed. When quitting and a few project tabs are open. It will ask in turn to save each project. Some I do and some I don't. The first project seems okay but on the other ones the yes or no widget responds but Reaper sits there as if doing nothing. Sometimes I can keep pressing it and it will Reaper will continue. But most of the time I need to cancel it and quit again.
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:29 AM   #489
Nixon

Bug:

If I have the track fx window open and switch between vst and js plugins with down/up arrow the keyboard focus gets stolen when i stay for longer than ~ 1 second on a js plugin and i can't switch to the next plugin. This doesn't happen on a vst instance. Doesn't happen on mac (6.12 dev cycle)

reaper 6.12+dev0717
mx linux, fluxbox
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:35 AM   #490
Nixon

Bug:

If I press "show track fx window" on an empty track. The "add fx to" window (desired) has focus for a short period of time but then the "track fx" window gets focus. So I have to re-select "add fx to".

Reaper 6.12+dev0717
mx linux, fluxbox
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:23 AM   #491
frol1607

Default Problem with Reaper and LinVST

Hello,
I'm not quite sure how to generate a proper bug report so I'm posting here in the hope that someone can either point me in the right direction or otherwise correct the errors of my ways.

Anyway, as the title says, some Windows VST:s do not work properly in REAPER under the latest version of Linvst. For example, the VST BC Chorus 4 from Blue cat audio does work if loaded in a project, but only if a generic GUI is used. If I try to show the GUI Reaper for Linux (6.12c, under OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Wine-staging 5.13) Reaper hangs.

I'm pretty sure the problem lies within REAPER - If the exact same plugin is loaded in Ardour the gui is shown.

The problem can be reproduced everytime. Other plugins work perfectly, for example Raum from NI, Azurite from Disorque (another nice Chorus), Sforzando from Plouge, etc.

Thank you for your time. Again, I'm quite a forum and bugreporting noob, so if I've done bad, feel free to correct the errors of my ways.

Best regards,
Fredrik.

P.S. Reaper for Linux really is completely awesome. Even with these minor annoyances. Like I said, the plugins from Blue Cat Audio work and sound great. You just have to use the generic GUI in Reaper to use them.
frol1607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #492
Majesticzeo

Linux version 6.14. In version 5.97 correctly.
Majesticzeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #493
Hypex

Default Freeze in Track Manager

Hi guys. I've found a bug in the Track Manager. It opened fine but when I clicked on the window close widget Reaper locked up. It entered into some kind of endless loop as it stopped responding and my fan noise increased. I installed the latest 6.15 build and the problem still occurs. It prevents reopening the project as Reaper reopens the Track Manager window and immediately locks up again. It has to be force closed. Linux reports no crash log.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:21 AM   #494
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypex View Post
Hi guys. I've found a bug in the Track Manager. It opened fine but when I clicked on the window close widget Reaper locked up. It entered into some kind of endless loop as it stopped responding and my fan noise increased. I installed the latest 6.15 build and the problem still occurs. It prevents reopening the project as Reaper reopens the Track Manager window and immediately locks up again. It has to be force closed. Linux reports no crash log.
I've been seeing similar behaviour with the midi editor window recently. I thought it was just a particular project but I experienced with another project as well.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 01:55 AM   #495
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I've been seeing similar behaviour with the midi editor window recently. I thought it was just a particular project but I experienced with another project as well.

I wish I didn't open it now! I just found I can't reopen Reaper at all even if I tell it not to reopen the project. I'll need to check the Reaper config files for open windows and wipe it out. :-)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:01 AM   #496
Xasman

Quote:
Can't reproduce that here (Ubuntu 20.04 with REAPER 6.15). Track Manager opens and closes fine every time. Tried changing the visibilty of tracks in both TCP and MCP and also changing track colours - no probs at all. Can you provide any specific steps to reproduce the problem?
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:03 AM   #497
shosty

Quote:
I wish I didn't open it now! I just found I can't reopen Reaper at all even if I tell it not to reopen the project. I'll need to check the Reaper config files for open windows and wipe it out. :-)
Ouch, that's not good!
I wonder if there is some wider problem. I saw a post on reddit about a user getting the same thing with Marker Manager in a dock.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:04 AM   #498
Xasman

Quote:
Again, no probs here with that, either. Steps to reproduce?
Old 10-23-2020, 02:09 AM   #499
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Again, no probs here with that, either. Steps to reproduce?
Nothing special, simply open the editor and close it. It seemed to be fine with an empty or template project which is why I assumed it was just one project doing something weird. I can try to share the project without the audio when I get home next week, perhaps it will be reproducible then.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:34 AM   #500
Hypex

Quote:
Can't reproduce that here (Ubuntu 20.04 with REAPER 6.15). Track Manager opens and closes fine every time. Tried changing the visibilty of tracks in both TCP and MCP and also changing track colours - no probs at all. Can you provide any specific steps to reproduce the problem?

I'm using it on Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon x64. I just reopened it to see what I had opened. So I also had opened the Actions and Marker Manager windows previously if it helps. I also discovered the debugger console from the Actions window and had opened that to see what it was then closed it. When I opened up the Track Manager initially to check it out it was fine. I played with the colour widgets briefly. Then pressed "X" to close it. And the problem came.

Reaper is blaming the last project. But I can see no settings in there for the Track Manager. And Reaper already opens the window on start up so it's gone before it checks the project.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #501
Xasman

Sorry, I tried all the things you mentioned - still no problems with closing the Track Manager window here.

One thought though, since you mentioned ReaConsole and Marker List from SWS - are you running the latest SWS extension (currently 2.12.1.0)?
Old 10-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #502
Hypex

Quote:
Sorry, I tried all the things you mentioned - still no problems with closing the Track Manager window here.

One thought though, since you mentioned ReaConsole and Marker List from SWS - are you running the latest SWS extension (currently 2.12.1.0)?

Actually I meant just the standard Reaper windows available from the View menu. I don't have SWS installed for Linux. My Linux install is almost as generic as you could get but I could do an isolation test. Okay finished. It found my settings and ruined it. :-)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #503
shosty

SWS comes automatically bundled with the linux reaper builds doesn't it?
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #504
Hypex

Quote:

On OSX it had to be installed separately. It added an SWS section. But I don't recall it being part of Reaper. I just cancelled the window in ini settings. No sign of SWS in my actions. But now I stuffed it up. The window opens and closes now, I changed too many projects I can see. I reloaded what was in the tab and now the bug doesn't occur. Why didn't Linux log a crash log! Maybe there is a force crash log somewhere.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #505
Xasman

Quote:
No, it doesn't.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #506
Xasman

Quote:
Actually I meant just the standard Reaper windows available from the View menu. I don't have SWS installed for Linux. My Linux install is almost as generic as you could get but I could do an isolation test. Okay finished. It found my settings and ruined it. :-)
Ah, I see - OK. In that case, did you try a portable install?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #507
Hypex

Quote:
Ah, I see - OK. In that case, did you try a portable install?

No, I thought I had, but I simply unpacked the Reaper archive and ran it from that location. It still found my normal config files. But I messed things up when I was backing up the bad config, because I managed to backup a good config and then fix the bad one, so now have no bad config example file left.

The reaper.ini did contain this:
Code:
[trackmgr]
wnd_vis=1
Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 AM   #508
Xasman

Quote:
No, I thought I had, but I simply unpacked the Reaper archive and ran it from that location...
You can try doing exactly that again, but after extracting, go to the REAPER sub folder (the folder named REAPER on the same level as the install-reaper.sh and the readme-linux.txt files). Inside that folder, create a new, empty file and name it reaper.ini (I do this using touch from a terminal, i.e. navigate to the REAPER folder and type "touch reaper.ini" without the quotes, then hit enter).

Now, simply run REAPER from the reaper executable file in the same folder and it will automatically populate the folder with everything needed for it to be a self-contained, portable install.

P.S. Sorry if I'm "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" here - just wanted the explanation to be nice and clear...
Old 10-29-2020, 02:10 AM   #509
Hypex

Quote:
Now, simply run REAPER from the reaper executable file in the same folder and it will automatically populate the folder with everything needed for it to be a self-contained, portable install.

Okay that worked. Unfortunately a blank template wasn't much help. I haven't been able to reproduce it. I rushed to fix the broken config file so it would load but was too quick as I hadn't backed up an exact copy first. I haven't been able to duplicate another "broken" config nor the steps to reproduce it. It wouldn't go away at first but now it won't come back!

Quote:
P.S. Sorry if I'm "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs" here - just wanted the explanation to be nice and clear...
LOL. Thanks. I can understand. :-D
Old 10-29-2020, 02:51 AM   #510
Xasman

Quote:
Okay that worked.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
...It wouldn't go away at first but now it won't come back!
Ah, 'twas ever thus...
Old 05-25-2023, 08:36 AM   #511
kfj452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That means that it could not load the plug-in. It might be helpful to remove that line, run REAPER from a terminal, and see if it prints any relevant output when scanning the plug-in.

I tried loading the plug-in, and on the first scan it reported:[code
swell: dlopen() failed: /home/deadbeef/.vst/sig/Signalizer.so: undefined symbol: glDrawArrays
[/code]
The cause of this is that the plug-in needs to be linked with -lGL, and was not (it assumes the host preloads GL). So, I edited reaper-vstplugins64.ini, removed that line, then ran REAPER using:
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so ./reaper
(that path may vary on your system)

and lo and behold, the plug-in works. Maybe you can email the author and see if they'll add -lGL to the link line?

With your comment and some help from ChatGPT I got this working on Ubuntu 22.04 with fish shell:

Code:
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 reaper
So we can contact the developer and have them do something to make this work without this step?
kfj452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #512
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfj452 View Post
With your comment and some help from ChatGPT I got this working on Ubuntu 22.04 with fish shell:

Code:
env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 reaper
So we can contact the developer and have them do something to make this work without this step?
You are responding to a 5-year-old post But Justin seemed to give you the answer already:
Quote:
Maybe you can email the author and see if they'll add -lGL to the link line?
Old 02-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #513
bob93

Default Syntax to make default font bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Awesome, thank you!

I've pushed some WDL public changes which works to my satisfaction. You will need to change a line in your libSwell.colortheme in order to keep the same appearance as the old mapper, from "default_font_face LiberationSans-Regular" to "default_font_face Liberation Sans". Other than that it all works, woot.
Hi. Do you or anyone here happen to know how the line should read for the default text to be bold? This line:

default_font_face Liberation Sans

I've tried putting bold in front of it in a number of ways to no avail, such as

default_font_face Liberation Sans:bold

Thanks
bob93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #514
captaincurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93 View Post
Hi. Do you or anyone here happen to know how the line should read for the default text to be bold? This line:

default_font_face Liberation Sans

I've tried putting bold in front of it in a number of ways to no avail, such as

default_font_face Liberation Sans:bold

Thanks
I have

default_font_face NotoSansNerdFontPropo-Bold

I think it worked, i liked how it looked so i didn't bother making sure.
captaincurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 01:06 PM   #515
sbungay

Default DBUS problems when using JACK?

There was an error opening the audio hardware:

JACK: error creating client

I use JACK because, well, it's so darn flexible and can just do SO much. JACK is working fine, but, too often, REAPER looses it's connection to JACK and can no longer find it. Everything else is working, heck even Windows (running in a Virtual Machine) is working without issue, but REAPER? Nope. So I have to shut down REAPER, then the Windows VM, because otherwise after I do this next step it's audio will be lost too, and use Cadence to force a restart of JACK. After doing that REAPER can once again find it's audio device and we can resume work, but it's darn annoying.
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 06:43 AM   #516
bob93

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincurrie View Post
I have

default_font_face NotoSansNerdFontPropo-Bold

I think it worked, i liked how it looked so i didn't bother making sure.
I tried something similar with
default_font_face LiberationSans-Bold
but it doesn't work. Actually Reaper falls back to the default system font, like it's not recognizing the line at all
bob93 is offline   Reply With Quote