Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
RCUS
Human being with feelings

Default 64 Track Mixer Template for Novation Remote ZeRO SL (beta)

as promised,
To download the templates and supporting files go here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/835/Remote%...er%20Files.zip

Make sure you EXTRACT the files to a folder. Read the Readme first. I know it's long but I wanted to be thorough and answer all your questions.

I've also attached a quick reference diagram of the mappings to this post. I can't add a screenshot to my stash because my server at my job won't let me upload the hi res .jpg or .pdf to my flickr account to hyperlink.

Let me how it works on your SL's!

Last edited by RCUS; 03-03-2008 at 06:25 PM.
RCUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Loz

Just want to say that these work brilliantly!

Thanks very much for all your hard work setting these up. I've been trying to set something like this up for months (and being very lazy)

This makes my life so much better, and makes me glad I shelled out for the Remote Zero.

You are lovely.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
RCUS

Thanks Loz!

I do it for the love!

I swear I was possessed last week when I set it up. I'm usually pretty lazy myself LOL! I stayed up till like 3AM every night. A few nights I tried to go to sleep at like 10pm, but I couldn't fall asleep b/c I wanted to finish it so bad, so I kept staying up, tweaking and tweaking and really putting thought into the layout.

It sounds like its being put to good use by a few people here which is great. I was totally telling the guy at Novation that he's going to see a spike in ZeRO SL sales now and he should hook me up with a free v-station plugin...heheh.

I think the best part is, if Reaper does finally support RPN's and NRPN's it shouldn't be more than a few more hours tweaking the templates to upgrade it. Also, i'm not sure how Logic or Live work, but if the Keyboard shortcuts is the same assigning system as Reaper (select, tweak, save) you could totally take those same templates and use them as a generic mixer for all the other programs too!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #4
Sanskrit

RCUS
Just wanted to again say thanks for your work on this. I was controlling Reaper from the Remote last night, and triggering synths via the SL keyboard, awesome!
Hats off: Snskrt
Sanskrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
RCUS

Thanks Sanskrit!

Did you ever work out your Melodyne issues?
Old 03-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Sanskrit

Default :

RCUS -Thanks for asking! Not yet. I thought it might be a RAM issue. I noticed DUX suggesting Memtest. So I ran that yesterday morning for about 45 minutes -no errors in the RAM. I'm going to try and run it longer today, we'll see. I'll be in the studio later. If things start crashing I'm going to try and copy out the crash reports, post them and see if anyone has any ideas. I gotta say, its been a real bummer. Reaper is crashing several times in any given session, but I really believe in this DAW and will hang tough to see if the problems can't be resolved. Again, thanks for asking. Snskrt
Sanskrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
RCUS

I hear ya! I'm pretty resolved at this point to stick with Reaper, no matter what. I'm 100% confident that any problem that comes up is fixable, or at least work-aroundable, and with updates to look forward too all the time i'm set.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
NoiseMan

RCUS - you are the man. Thanks a lot for your effort, everything runs smooth as butter.

Now, of course, as soon as something is good, there are ideas to make it even better. Please take my points not as a critique, but as an outlook to future releases of your great project.

While I'm back in ReMOTE wonderland when it's about mixing, it's still not really useful when I'm composing. This is mainly because of the fact that the ReMOTE doesn't recognize if tracks are hidden from the mixer console or not. So, for example, if I have a multi out VST that I use with some MIDI tracks (Stylus RMX for example) there are eight tracks/faders that are actually quite useless.

Also, because the ReMOTE doesn't get the track names, it's a hell of a job to memorize which track belongs to which fader.

Both these things are addressed if you use the ReMOTE in, say, Sonar or Cubendo. Now if you could bring that functionality into Reaper... that would be shweet!

All above said, of course, with the possibility in mind that I simply did something wrong and it was always there in front of my face.
NoiseMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
RCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseMan View Post
Now, of course, as soon as something is good, there are ideas to make it even better. Please take my points not as a critique, but as an outlook to future releases of your great project.
How dare you attempt to critique perfection NOISEMAN!!

Hahah...I'm actually right there with you on this one and haven't found a way to get Reaper talking to the SL.

Right now it's like Reaper is this super hot rocker chick walking along on Sunset Blvd. on her way to the Key Club to go see Metal Skool, and the SL is this totally G'd out thug tryin' to get his swerve on. She won't even give him the time of day let alone tell him what tracks she's rocking or what levels those tracks are on!

I've essentially tried all the control surface settings and enabled outputs to the SL with no luck.

As for the hidden track issues, the only suggestion I have (that sucks btw) is to always have your multi-out midi tracks last, or set up all midi tracks after track 63 to free up the others for audio. I know this blows, but it's the only work around until that chick starts putting out (she needs to get the okay from her pimp Justin i think).

Also, from my experiments it also means all you Reason users will once again have to set up a routing template from scratch if you want to output through Rewire on separate tracks and maximize your track use with the SL. More specifically I've found if set up Reason via Rewire on say, tracks 1 - 8, have the audio routed on tracks 9 - 16, and then try to drag them all further down, the routing will sometimes get jacked and then I get midi lag. I'm assuming this would be the same with any multi-out, and is a quirky thing with Reaper? Either that or I missed something that would prevent that from happening? I need to look into it more to get a definitive answer, but if you have any idea let me know!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
Document02

Default nice

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #11
Grenoybel

Thank you very much for your hard work.

U rule mate

Take care
Grenoybel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
sceyefeye

Hey RCUS, just got my Zero SL MKi and downloaded, now I am aching to go home and play, thanks for all this work, much appreciated

Thanks too for the warning about multi-out Reason problems will bear this in mind with my set up
sceyefeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Document02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceyefeye View Post
Hey RCUS, just got my Zero SL MKi and downloaded, now I am aching to go home and play, thanks for all this work, much appreciated

Thanks too for the warning about multi-out Reason problems will bear this in mind with my set up
This is probably outdated as Novation has now proper HUI support through Automap 3.1.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Dali

Is this real ?

Novation Remote ZeRO SL
On Sale: $150.00

http://www.audiomidi.com/Remote-ZeRO-SL-P8111.aspx

My credit card is ready...

Dali
Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
rcl

Default Thanks a million RCUS 5 years later

RCUS.....this still was the best solution even 5 years later. Automap just wouldnt cut it. This solution with your patches works perfect in Reaper 4. It is folks like you that make this already stable DAW truly valuable. I am still evaluating but see no reason not to fork out $$## for this.
rcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
DjMilktoast

Default So Many Thanks

I'm a staunch Novation user.I've got an ReMOTE 25SL(much better than the new one) I bought it used from GC and it is almost brand new.I also have the ZERO SL (love the touch sensitivity) Miss the extra screen.
I have so many plugins I can't imagine life without AutoMAP.
Thank You SOOO VERY much for your time ,hard work and dedication.I will cherish this gift for many years.
May the great creator bless you!
DjMilktoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
rozzigraphics

Default SL jumps to template 38 as soon as i touch a controller

Hi all, hoping someone is still watching this thread. I could use hand getting the 64 track mixer template to work. I think I'm close. Here's what's happened:

I hooked up a Novation ReMote 25SL via USB and set it up to work with Reaper (version 5 in Windows10) using ReMote SL Editor version 1.3 and Automap Server (Automap 4). I got it working so that when I open a session containing Automap versions of plugins, the SL jumps to the universal template (#38) and the controls are assigned and work (I used the "setup Reaper" button on Automap 4's software setup tab). The first thing I wanted to change was to add control for more than just 8 tracks. I couldn't figure that out. Then I found this thread! I followed RCUS's instructions as closely as I could with my setup, but with these differences:

1. ReMote Sl Editor v.1.3 was already on my computer (ran setup for v.1.3.8207 provided by RCUS. Editor still shows as V.1.3)

rozzigraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #18
rozzigraphics

Default oops, cat submitted post early..

continuing...

2. Remote SL Editor didn't offer a 'port 1' option for midi input and output device. It offers AUTOMAP Midi, 3-ReMOTE SL, MIDIIN2 (3-ReMOTE SL), MIDIIN3 (3-ReMOTE SL), Automap HUI, Automap Propellerhead Mixer, and Automap Propellerhead. I chose 3-ReMOTE Sl. Have also tried Automap HUI. (The SL IS transmitting/receiving on U1). The only place I am offered a port 1 in on the software setup tab of Automap 4 under Advanced. There I can choose "3-ReMOTE SL: Port 1" for midi in and out.

3. To load the ReaperKeyMap provided by RCUS I went to Preferences>General>Keyboard/Multitouch - Assign Keyboard shortcuts to actions, and used the import function on the Actions window.

The templates appear to have successfully loaded onto the SL BUT when I open a session containing Automap version plugins (with the Sl preset to template 36) the SL jumps to preset number 38 (universal automap template). The controls for preset 38 work. I then switch the SL over to template 36 but nothing works.

I would be grateful for any help I could get on this.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #19
Loz

Hey, funny returning to this old thread, but happy to help out, as these were such a great thing for me to find.

I'm still on Windows 7, so not sure if that is going to make a difference, but I reckon you're on the same version of the editor as mine, it says 1.3 for me, too.

When I load it up, I got to 'Device' in the menu, then 'Select MIDI input/output device'

From there, I just choose the defaults, which for me are '4-ReMOTE SL: Port 1' for both (although the names may be slightly different on your PC)

Then I choose 'File > Open' and select one of the .syx files.

You'll now need to select an empty slot on your Remote SL, the templates are set up to use the first 8 slots (Template 1 - 8 scrolling through) and then click 'Device > Upload Template' in the tool.

After that, you'll need to save the template changes to the Remote SL, by hitting the 'Write' key just under the little Novation logo light at the top.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #20
rozzigraphics

Loz,
Thanks for revisiting the thread to help!

I had already loaded the .syx files in the way you describe except I loaded them into slots 36, 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 30, and 29 (in that order, as per steps 5 through 8 in the "64 Track Mixer Template for the Novation Remote ZeRO SL - BETA - User Guide" that came with the files)

The .syx files appear to be successfully loaded onto the SL in the slots I just mentioned. My problem is that Automap seems to force the SL into template 38 when I open Reaper and then open Automap 4 (or when automap 4 is opened automatically when I open an automap enabled plugin). This wouldn't be such a big problem if I could just switch the SL to template 36 (the one with the first .syx loaded for the first 8 reaper channels) and use it but reaper doesnt respond to it or any of the .syx loaded templates.

I'm really at a loss for ideas on this,
Thanks again Loz.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:51 AM   #21
Loz

Ah, I think maybe it's Automap that's causing the conflict, then. It's obviously trying to take charge of the Remote SL and maybe that's the confusion. Could be intercepting the midi signals or something, although that's just a random guess.

I don't use Automap at all, so unfortunately I cannot help you on that front.

Out of interest, does it behave itself if you don't load Automap, and just have Reaper open?