Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
corkyburger
Human being with feelings

Default Ambeo plugin problems

Hello. I (like many others) am just starting to get my head around Ambisonics recording. I'm finding Reaper to be a great tool for this, but I', having a problem with the Ambeo plugin that comes with the Senheiser Ambeo microphone.

If I'm working with pre-recorded audio, it works fine. I send my 4 A Format channels to a channel with the Ambeo plugin and this converts to AmbiX which I then route to either the FB360 tools or currently Harpex B (which I have on trial - its great!)

My issue is that I'm unable to get the Ambeo plugin to work whilst monitoring. No signal shows up in the input meters of the plugin. There is a video with a Senheiser rep demoing this setup (using Reaper) and it works fine, just not on my setup!

I'm hoping to test some FB30 live streaming and I need to be able to pass audio through in real time.

Has anyone else been working with Ambeo and found this issue? Or am I missing something (could easily be the case as I'm relatively new to Reaper).

Thanks in advance
CB
corkyburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
monsterzero

Hi. I'm having the exact same problem you have.

I can see audio in the meters via the track, but nothing with the Sennheiser A-B plug-in. Did you figure out the issue?

Thanks,
J
monsterzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
jm duchenne

Hi,

It works as intended here.

How is your track setup ?

Just put the ambeo plugin followed by Harpex on the track where you have your A-format files, or if you want to process several tracks at once, on their parent track.

The track must have of course the number of channels you need for the number of speakers you define in Harpex, and simply goes to the master.

I find FB360 (and other brands) Reaper's routing examples often over complicated, with sends and hardware outputs everywhere that only make things difficults to use...

(note : unless there is a bug in the Mac version since I use it in Windows?
I will test in OSX)

Last edited by jm duchenne; 07-20-2017 at 10:44 PM.
jm duchenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #4
jm duchenne

Tested in 10.9 and 10.11 : it doesn't load in 10.9, but works as expected in 10.11.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
cyrano

Merci, JM. Very good to know!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
monsterzero

Thanks JM. That's good info to know. I'm using 10.12, but it "should" work.

Did you test with a track in the timeline, or a live audio coming from an Ambeo Mic? As the OP mentioned, all if my plugin's work with a pre-recorded ambisonics track, but does NOT work with a live Ambeo microphone, or playback from a Mixpre-6. I do see the meters in the track in both instances, but NOT in the plugin, in then of course in the send to Harpex-X.

It all could be an issue with the Mixpre-6, but of course the OP had the same issue hence I was wondering if the problem is outside the Mixpre-6.

J
monsterzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
jm duchenne

It is very strange...
There is no difference processing an audio file or the live soundcard inputs here.
If you bypass the Ambeo, does Harpex receive the signal ? You can try since it can process the A-format directly.
I cannot think of a logical explaination :-(
Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Katz

Default Possible reason

This thread is a bit old, but as I have just had what seems to be the same issue, I thought I would provide at least my response.

Reaper has two FX configurations, processed as either input (the IN/FX channel config. dropdown) on the and output of a track (the FX after the Mono Solo buttons). This wasn't clear to me until I went through the manual a few times and saw a YouTUbe video where someone clicked something I hadn't thought of...

FX on the output are not applied to live input, but work perfectly fine for processing WAV files, existing tracks with audio content.

A plug-in on the IN/FX will be applied instantly to the incomming audio, and will work for live streams.

The concept is a bit different, at least to me, where the output FX is for production and working with tweaking settings, while the IN/FX gets no chance for post edits.

The A-to-B format converter, for it to work on the input stream, should be loaded as an IN/FX. If, alternatively you want to apply it to an existing A-format recording, then it is fine as an output FX.

PS. I know this is on an OSX sub-forum, but I'm on Windows
Katz is offline   Reply With Quote