Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Dehenry
Human being with feelings

Default Problem recording Midi into looped items

I just came across what I think is really strange behavior of Reaper, but maybe I am doing something wrong: I overdub-recorded Midi into an existing item that is looped. When I reached the end of the source item, Reaper no longer recorded what I played although it was still in record mode. How can that be? I would of course expect Reaper to continue the recording and e.g. turn each loop where I record into a real copy.

When I started the recording before an existing item, Reaper created a new item for my recording, and when the play cursor reached the existing item, Reaper continued and recorded into that item. That makes sense, so I don't understand why Reaper doesn't treat loops just the same.

Then I did a third test: I started recording before an existing item that is looped. Again, Reaper created a new item for my recording, then continued the recording into the existing item, but no longer recorded into the loop. Not good, but as expected after my previous experience. But now I would have thought that recording at least resumes after the end of the looped item because there is nothing else on the track. But Reaper still records nothing!?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
EvilDragon

If you're overdubbing a looped item, you can only record within item's source area - not in the looped copies. If you want to overdub the loops too, glue the item first so that loops are removed but MIDI data stays.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #3
Dehenry

Yes, that's what I just experienced. So if I start a recording and suddenly have THE great idea for a riff - bad luck if I forgot to glue the loop first? I would expect a DAW to record anything I play under any circumstances.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Dehenry

And it gets even worse: If a note is played and held while the song position moves from the item source into the first loop during recording, that note does not get a note-off, i.e., it is stuck!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehenry View Post
Yes, that's what I just experienced. So if I start a recording and suddenly have THE great idea for a riff - bad luck if I forgot to glue the loop first? I would expect a DAW to record anything I play under any circumstances.
Well, I would just record on a new track in that case. Or a duplicate. At any rate, looping has priority over recording (for obvious reasons in loop-based productions).

Another option you could try is NOT using the MIDI overdub/replace mode, but use just regular Record: input mode. Then what you record is put in a new item, not overwriting the old one, not messing with the looping there. After the recording you can decide what to do with the new item. If you use item mix behavior: items always mix (Project Settings->Advanced), it's basically the same as an overdub then.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Dehenry

Thanks, but these are all workarounds that I would have to choose before I start recording. That is anti-creative and doesn't help to capture a sudden inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
At any rate, looping has priority over recording (for obvious reasons in loop-based productions).
No, musical input should always have priority over looping or any other technical concepts. I chose to loop earlier, and I should also be able to choose to override that loop later while recording. And my song is not loop-based (whatever that means in terms of what I can or cannot record) just because I use looping on one item.

Even if I could accept Reaper's behavior as a technical limitation (which I can't - I never ran into this sort of problem with my 15 year old Logic 5), that would still not excuse the stuck notes. Is there any way to highlight this as a major bug, or is there just this forum?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 AM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Thanks, but these are all workarounds that I would have to choose before I start recording.
No, it's not a workaround, it's a workflow option you have to choose. This is why all those recording modes exist.

Reaper is not Logic 5.

Quote:
No, musical input should always have priority over looping or any other technical concepts.
And I told you how to prioritize recording over looped items. Two methods, even. One is just a keypress away (glueing the item before recording).

Quote:
And my song is not loop-based (whatever that means in terms of what I can or cannot record) just because I use looping on one item.
No, your song isn't, but your item is, and this is how they behave. For good reason. In order to override that behavior, you have recording options, so use them.

Quote:
Is there any way to highlight this as a major bug, or is there just this forum?
There's just this forum, but I don't think this counts as a bug, it works as intended by devs, very likely.