Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
kgbeat
Human being with feelings

Default Kick Drum sound replacement

Trying to replace the sound of my kick drum with a one shot sample. Followed the tutorial both ways but the replacement sound is not following the existing kick pattern - it's just coming in with continuous beats. What am I missing please?
kgbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
msundh

I think you have to be specific.
What drum VST are you using?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
rothchild

For drum replacement I use JS Audio to MIDI drum trigger followed by an instance or Reasamplomatic 5000 (RS5K), simply load the sample of choice in to RS5K and then adjust the threshold on the trigger plug and away you go, super simple.

You can use it 'inline' with your existing kick channel or create a new channel with the plugs and then send from the existing kick channel to the replacement (and if you switch the send to pre you can turn the original down completely and still have the sample be triggered).
rothchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Fabian

Or you can use Jonas' DrumReaplacer https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462

It is old, but works great.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 AM   #5
kgbeat

Default Kick Replacment

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
I think you have to be specific.
What drum VST are you using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeat View Post
The drum tracks were supplied to me as Wav files (which is what Kenny replaces in his Sound Replacement tutorial). I'm following his procedure but while his follow the exiting pattern, mine don't. Just realised that the only difference is that his kicks are all separate files whereas mine are all in one file...maybe that's what' causing the problem?
So to clarify: I want to take the existing kick drum pattern which is in one complete wav file - and replace it with a different sound which I have as one shot sample also as a wav file. Maybe you can't do that!

Last edited by kgbeat; 01-15-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Or you can use Jonas' DrumReaplacer https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462

It is old, but works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbeat View Post
So to clarify: I want to take the existing kick drum pattern which is in one complete wav file - and replace it with a different sound which I have as one shot sample also as a wav file. Maybe you can't do that!
As I said... Jonas' DrumReaplacer can do that. It works.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
martifingers

I don't know why your original idea isn't working. Perhaps write down all Kenny's steps and try again from scratch - this has helped me in the past.

Another idea (apart from the excellent suggestions already posted) is the simplest (but not perhaps the most practical). Simply insert a replacement sample on a new track and copy it manually (Cntrl Drag) to where you want it (perhaps snapping may help). This was suggested to me by my son-in-law who is into EDM type stuff and he used it to mainly compose loops so it may not be easy to do on a long rock track!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by martifingers View Post
I don't know why your original idea isn't working. Perhaps write down all Kenny's steps and try again from scratch - this has helped me in the past.

Another idea (apart from the excellent suggestions already posted) is the simplest (but not perhaps the most practical). Simply insert a replacement sample on a new track and copy it manually (Cntrl Drag) to where you want it (perhaps snapping may help). This was suggested to me by my son-in-law who is into EDM type stuff and he used it to mainly compose loops so it may not be easy to do on a long rock track!
I do this sometimes when I want to add, not replace, a sample to the kick or snare. Once you get the hang of it, it is done rather quickly. First you Ctrl+drag one sample. next you select two and Ctrl+drag those. Then four, and eight... You might have to detail adjust some of them afterwards but it's still rather quick.

But for replacing, I prefer Jonas' DrumReaplacer
Old 01-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
kgbeat

Default Kick Drum replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothchild View Post
For drum replacement I use JS Audio to MIDI drum trigger followed by an instance or Reasamplomatic 5000 (RS5K), simply load the sample of choice in to RS5K and then adjust the threshold on the trigger plug and away you go, super simple.

You can use it 'inline' with your existing kick channel or create a new channel with the plugs and then send from the existing kick channel to the replacement (and if you switch the send to pre you can turn the original down completely and still have the sample be triggered).

Thanks for that - I've done it successfully now - cheers
Old 01-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
serr

Anyone used Drumagog before? Is Jonas' DrumReaplacer an upgrade?

Drumagog has copy protection that will disable it if you change ANY hard drive in your system. I need to call and whine again. Rather fire them and move to something else though!

Doesn't come up too often but when it does, this trick can really save the day.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote