Old 02-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default Reap Backing Up

Hey guys, I have Reaper installed as a Portable install. I am trying to back up the songs I recorded for a group. I made a single folder named after them. Where do I find the tracks that go to their Projects to back them up at?
I am really at a loss here. Thanks for your time.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
Jimmy James

I have "Path to save media files" and "Secondary Recording Path" left blank. Doing so says it defaults them to the Project save. But those folders dont look like they have all the tracks in them. I am so lost..........
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
Jimmy James

Some of the songs, I would save to a (New Folder). I don't know if all the files move with the new save location or not either............

Last edited by Jimmy James; 02-04-2019 at 12:43 PM. Reason: moved to previous post
Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
serr

When you remember to 'save as' at the start of a new project and make a new folder (or tick the 'make new folder for project' box in the 'save as' dialog), your recorded audio goes in that folder. You can make a sub-directory for audio files if you wish and name it something like "Audio Files" - this is in preferences.

I haven't played with the "make a mirrored folder on another drive" features in preferences... I'm not sure if the "mirrored" part is a feature or not. Maybe just for the project file (.rpp file).

You can simply drag and drop the project folder (with the .rpp project file and all your recorded audio files) to a different hard drive to copy it with your OS. (Finder in OSX, Explorer in Windows) I just keep it simple like that.

If you didn't make a new folder at the start of the project and thus your recorded audio went into the last project's folder or the default Reaper projects folder it will make in your Documents folder, you'll just have to follow up and clean that up 'manually'. Make a new folder with the Finder/Explorer and move the files. If you were never organized on the computer and have 1000's of files scattered all over (or all in the Desktop folder)... sort by date or something. Or use Spotlight search if you named them something you can remember.

Making that new folder first thing for a new project is the way to go moving forward. Even if you move the whole folder somewhere else, when you open Reaper from that project file (.rpp) within said folder Reaper will look in that same folder for the audio files by default.

folder = directory if you didn't know BTW
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Jimmy James

Cool! Thanks man. This was very helpful and I think I understand it much better now. Let me try a example.

If I have a project named "Boogie Boom". And I save it to folder (Folder A). Then "Boogie Boom" and all the tracks to it are in (Folder A), correct?

If I down the road open "Boogie Boom" and record some tracks. Then I save "Boogie Boom" to (Folder B). Then "Boogie Boom" with the old tracks and new tracks will all be in the (Folder B).

If that is all right. Then I can delete (Folder A) and only have the newest version of it.

Do I have this all sorted correct?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
serr

That's a stated a little funny...

Open Reaper.

Click 'save project as'
Type Boogie Boom into the name
Use the browse features to navigate to where you want to save it (it works just like the Finder window and you'll see any sidebar shortcuts you've made and so forth)
Tick the box next to 'Make sub-directory for project'
(This makes a folder named Boogie Boom and then saves the Boogie Boom.rpp file into it.)
Now any audio you record will save to this folder (named Boogie Boom in this example).

If you have audio previously recorded, and the project knows where it is, you can do this after the fact and use those move or copy features you see below the Make sub-directory feature.

Reaper remembers where audio you recorded was saved no matter where you save it to. Move it and it will have to ask you where it is.
However, if you have said audio files in the same folder as the .rpp project file, Reaper will look there by default and find them.

Reaper will not just find files you have moved by default otherwise. The dialog asking you where the files are will pop up. The 'search' button can be used to search for them. The 'browse' button is used to REPLACE the files with different ones if you wish. An example of why the heck you'd want to do that is if you converted all the original WAV files to FLAC and wanted to open the project but now use the FLAC files. When it asked you for the first one (file_name.wav), if you 'browse' to file_name.flac Reaper will intelligently load all the .flac files going by the names for the project.

Again, if you've moved the original files and need to load them, use the 'search' button.

PS. If you are in Windows, the Finder window is called the Explorer window. Not sure what they call saving shortcuts for commonly used folders and such like the Sidebar feature I mentioned.

If this is new to you... learn this one thing about computer hard drives!
It's like a file cabinet for your stuff. The Finder/Explorer window is like opening the file cabinet drawer. You can be organized with folders. You can make shortcuts for commonly used folders. Or you can dump all your files in the Desktop folder and have a mess to dig through and maybe accidentally delete stuff and so on (not recommended). Or you can be oblivious and not have any idea where stuff is being saved to (really not recommended)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote