Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #1
ZoeB
Human being with feelings

Default Freezing a single insert effect

Hi all!

This is probably a feature request, but I'd like to make sure it's not already possible first, and check if others might also find it useful or not. The feature in question is being able to freeze a single insert plug-in rather than the entire chain. If you're wondering why anyone might want to do that, read on...

So, I'm not sure how idiosyncratic my workflow is, but I tend to use two different types of insert effects: ones emulating actual outboard gear that drastically alter the sound (say, delays), and ones emulating a channel strip to improve the mix (chiefly for EQing). I've set up templates that emulate various desks, with a channel strip already inserted on each channel, to save time.

When I want to add an outboard-emulating insert effect, I place it first in the chain, before the strip, get its settings right, and freeze it. So when I come back to projects later, I've committed to the broad strokes effects and can just tweak the mix. This is perfect for me.

My question's about freezing those effects. It looks like you can only freeze every effect on a channel, so I have to bring up the channel's effect chain, cut the channel strip effects, freeze the channel, then paste them back in again. Which takes a bit of time.

Does anyone know if there's a way to freeze just a single effect while leaving the others intact? As trivial as it sounds, this would really speed up my workflow. I realise this would only be possible for the first effect in the chain, but that's exactly what I'm after.

Cheers!
ZoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Stella645

There are options in the insert fx dialogue to freeze a single plug, all up to selected plug or entire chain of plugs.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
ZoeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
There are options in the insert fx dialogue to freeze a single plug, all up to selected plug or entire chain of plugs.
Ah! In the FX chain window, right click, freeze! Thank you, I'd totally missed that. Brilliant, cheers!
ZoeB is offline   Reply With Quote