Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
toleolu
Human being with feelings

Default Matching or Blending Different Guitars

Not sure if matching or blending are the correct terms, and yes this is another one of the relative/subjective type questions, but here goes.

You're recording rhythm tracks with two different electric guitars, the clean tones of the two guitars are noticeably different with one being a bit brighter than the other.

Generally speaking, and I know there are a lot more variables involved, but as a general rule, would you adjust things in order to get the tones more alike, or would you try to accentuate those differences.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
zxcvbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post

Generally speaking, and I know there are a lot more variables involved, but as a general rule, would you adjust things in order to get the tones more alike, or would you try to accentuate those differences.
I think each instrument should really have it's own dedicated EQ range, otherwise it's easy to get volume swells or unwanted chorusing.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
toleolu

Gotta let my noob flag fly here, what is "unwanted chorusing"?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
lunker

Quote:
and yes this is another one of the relative/subjective type questions
Exactly!

Why did you record two guitars in the first place?

Are the two guitars playing roughly the same thing? Or different parts?

Does the band have two guitarists? If so, they probably want to sound different from each other so that listeners can tell that there's two of them, and perhaps even tell which one is which by their sound.

Did you add a second guitar because one guitar didn't sound like enough? Then maybe you want to make them sound similar, so that it sounds more like one "thick" guitar. (especially if they are playing basically the same part, but with slight differences in timing etc.).
lunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
Exactly!

Why did you record two guitars in the first place?
Because I have two guitars. (Three actually)

But to the point, I'm retired and just a hobbyist, I do this for personal enjoyment, so I have the luxury of time to experiment and play around with things.

When I think about the artists and bands that top my list of favorites, what stands out, for me, is tone. The way they are able to create such unique and distinctive sounds, just blows me away.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
TC7

Quote:
would you adjust things in order to get the tones more alike, or would you try to accentuate those differences.
As my lawyer says, "Depends".

If I want things to be "more alike", I usually simply apply EFX like delay, etc. to one performance to move/widen the performance in stereo space. And the tone of other guitars is no issue.

I especially like what happens when you get two, or more, performances from the same instrument and player that are not perfectly identical. Things get fatter quickly. If the EQ is different (like the performer is using two different instruments), you could match them up a little with EQ, or let them be different.

Isn't phase difference what stereo is all about?
TC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
toleolu

I can't sing or write lyrics, so I have to rely on my guitars to convey what I'm feeling when I come up with a song, and for me, that process takes awhile.

I'll typically record multiple tracks with different guitars and different pickup settings, (all clean tones, no effects) typically ending up with about 10 or 12 guitar tracks. I'll then go through and listen to different combinations of those tracks until I come up with the two tracks that I think work best.

I'll then repeat the process for the solo parts. Once again all clean tones. That process doesn't take near as long as I usually end up with about 4 or 5 tracks for that. That gives me my "baseline" so to speak. Once I have that, then I start tweaking.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Magicbuss

Quote:
Not sure if matching or blending are the correct terms, and yes this is another one of the relative/subjective type questions, but here goes.

You're recording rhythm tracks with two different electric guitars, the clean tones of the two guitars are noticeably different with one being a bit brighter than the other.

I record different guitars on the same song BECAUSE of the tonal differences.

Specifically if I'm doing hard panned doubled guitars i want them to sound different - ESPECIALLY if they are playing identical parts. The tonal difference increases separation and makes them sound wider. Sometimes I like to have them playing (slightly or even dramatically) different parts. The end goal is to have to do as little to the tracks in the mix as possible. So you want the tones to be different but complimentary. A typical combo might be a Tele on the bridge or middle and a Les paul on the bridge or middle.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #9
Judders

Quote:

Both!

I think Lunker was trying to guide you this way, but you missed his point.

A common technique is to record 4 guitar parts - 2 darker spread left and right and two brighter spread left and right.

Or, depending on what else is in the mix, you might have a darker guitar on one side and a brighter guitar on the other side.

If you really want to make it sound like different guitars, have them play different parts, different chord inversions, and/or an octave up or down.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
Reason

Quote:
Chorusing is a form of detuning, which is also used in synthesizers, so therefore tuning artifacts = chorusing. If your guitars are very slightly out of tune with each other, you'll get a chorus-like effect. If tuning and intonation are spot-on on both guitars, this is less likely, but if one or both of those are imperfect, you'll get some irregularities. Might sound nice but more likely it'll be "why does that particular note sound weird?"
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #11
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicbuss View Post
The end goal is to have to do as little to the tracks in the mix as possible.
That's been my experience, while it is a lot of work on the front end, once I get the tone I'm looking for, I make up for it by not having to spend a lot of time trying to "fix" things in the mix.

And yes, once I get the tones I'm looking for, then I start working on the styles and harmonies of what I'm playing, that's part of my "tweaking" process.

Thanks for all the replies, Looks like I'm on the right track with what I'm doing.

Mahalo
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 PM   #12
ashcat_lt

What?

Why?

You trying to play the same thing but get the "guts" from one and the "sparkle" from another?

You trying to play two completely different things and get the right tone from each to make them both fit together and with the rest of the mix?

If you can't answer those questions, then just fuckin try it both ways and decide which works best once the whole thing comes together. Better yet, pick one and MAKE IT WORK.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:05 AM   #13
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

You trying to play two completely different things and get the right tone from each to make them both fit together and with the rest of the mix?
Yes. Occaisionally I'll play the same thing on both at certain parts, but for the most part, I mix things up.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:00 AM   #14
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Yes. Occaisionally I'll play the same thing on both at certain parts, but for the most part, I mix things up.
Then just play each to sound right.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #15
bulevardi

Quote:
That moment when your chorus accidentally pops in, just in the middle of your verse.