Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #161
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

@kneipp123; Thanks.

Yeah, it's probably the mapping overruling what the script does. I will see if I can come up with an alternative keybinding as an alternate. Any preferences?

Can you show me a screenshot of what it looks like? Are you on a retina display by any chance?

@Bri1; I'm afraid I've really run out of sliders now so a second lfo is not in the books I'm afraid. That is, unless the slider limit were to ever go up.

Also, updates:
- Added four more filters:
- Weeping demon wahwah filter
- PWM filters
- Bitcrusher
- Muck (multiplicative noise)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM   #162
kneipp123

i tried removed the keymapping to see if it worked. but still not working. i dont know if i am on a retina. i have a lenovo laptop with windows 10.

how about a including a randomize button somewhere that could be mapped to midi controller or just to pressed with mouse ?

thanks again for the plugin.

is update automatic or do i have to update in reapack?
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 AM   #163
Eliseat

Sai'ke,

I made a short test yesterday and I have to say, the new parallel processing is amazing. This makes the source even more unrecognizable. Well done. It also seems that it doesn't need a lot of CPU. How does this actually work? Did you route the signal (split) twice into the filters to join them later by mixing them together?

I also noticed that the cpu crackling really could be only a specific problem on my system as for some reason my asio driver was replaced by a wasapi driver. Didn't yet check, if the problem is gone now, but since nobody else showed up with similar issues it should be clear that something was wrong on my side.

Thanks for all the new features. Love it! And the new filters will also be examined shortly.

Greetings
Eli
Old 02-04-2019, 05:09 AM   #164
sai'ke

@kneipp123
I'm out of sliders, so I can't make it mappable to a midi controller. I could make a button, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I don't want to put it too close to buttons that one regularly uses, because of the risk of accidentally pressing it and losing your preset. Where would you place it if you were me?

I think you have to update via reapack, yes.

Do you have a screenshot what it looks like when first opened?

@Eliseat
Well, what's surprising about the crackling is that it seems to happen with Filther and not with other plugs. This makes me think something odd is going on on your end still. I suspect it may have something to do with the pdc_delay compensation, but I have little to back this up.

One experiment that you could do is to make a version of some of the presets that cause problems now, but without lookahead or FIR on (both incur pdc_delay). If it stops happening then, then we have another clue that it may be pdc delay related.

Yeah, it just passes a copy of the input to the parallel filter.

There's four modes.

1. Serial 1
In => Filt1 w/ Dist => Filt2 w/ Dist => Out

2. Serial 2
In => Filt1 w/ Dist => Filt2 => Out

3. Parallel 1
In => Filt1 w/ Dist => Out1
In => Filt2 w/ Dist => Out2
Out1 + Out2 => Out

4. Parallel 2
In => Filt2 => Out2
Out1 + Out2 => Out
Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #165
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
@kneipp123
I'm out of sliders, so I can't make it mappable to a midi controller. I could make a button, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I don't want to put it too close to buttons that one regularly uses, because of the risk of accidentally pressing it and losing your preset. Where would you place it if you were me?

I think you have to update via reapack, yes.

Do you have a screenshot what it looks like when first opened?

@Eliseat
Well, what's surprising about the crackling is that it seems to happen with Filther and not with other plugs. This makes me think something odd is going on on your end still. I suspect it may have something to do with the pdc_delay compensation, but I have little to back this up.

One experiment that you could do is to make a version of some of the presets that cause problems now, but without lookahead or FIR on (both incur pdc_delay). If it stops happening then, then we have another clue that it may be pdc delay related.

Yeah, it just passes a copy of the input to the parallel filter.

There's four modes.

1. Serial 1
In => Filt1 w/ Dist => Filt2 w/ Dist => Out

2. Serial 2
In => Filt1 w/ Dist => Filt2 => Out

3. Parallel 1
In => Filt2 w/ Dist => Out2
Out1 + Out2 => Out

4. Parallel 2
In => Filt2 => Out2
Out1 + Out2 => Out
That's exactly as I had imagined it. But there is one downside. If you turn on parallel the sound is way to loud in comparison to serial mode. Adding out1 and out2 also should followed by a gain reduction of 50% I guess.

The new WahWah filter is amazing. Combined with other reso filters this has so much funk. Crazy! Bit reduction also creates nice and weird sounds. Followed by a fat filter does it wonders. Only thing I can't get much out of is the Muck filter. Have to take a closer look next time.

Many thanks for the great updates.

By the way: As I know Filther pretty good I wont make usage of the randomize function.

∫∫¡-‿◕¡)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 AM   #166
kneipp123

ok, it looks like this.

https://ibb.co/SsVYSkF

i cant seem to upload a picture here. my technical know how is pretty low. no matter how small i resize it, it tells me the image exceeds the limit..

i cant seem to manage to update as well. could you tell me the procedure?

sorry for being a total noob

also if you could squeeze in a small button for randomize somewhere would be awesome.

Last edited by kneipp123; 02-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.
kneipp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #167
Bri1
Banned

wuuuuuuuuuuuuut da filther..
er.
no worriez about xtra lfo- this is very nice.
divinity is blessing us,daily.>thanx!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM   #168
foxAsteria

Sai'ke! Has I told you lately that I love you? Wah wah is wonderful! Couple things tho (you know me, haha...): Even if it's techically incorrect on your end, the function of the cutoff and resonance should be switched for the wah, as it's opposite to what anyone will expect; cutoff is what the wah pedal controls and resonance is the intensity (which normally can't be changed but it's awesome that we can here). Took me a good 15 minutes or so before I even noticed that anomaly in the description. Inertia adds some slight, but noticeable latency when modulating from a MIDI pedal. Can it be a little shorter and still work?

Gosh, normally I tend to combine simpler plugins into complex chains and avoid complex plugins like this, but with filters, I'm finding the opposite; the more options the better. Really been missing one like this, so thanks again!

Rock on, dude!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-04-2019 at 03:19 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #169
Bri1
Banned

hey sai'ke- you seem to have also exceeded inbox limits - maybe a message or 2 has been missed,dunno,but check pm plz+ty!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #170
mawi

is there no volume control?
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #171
Bri1
Banned

^yes-- and it can be used to duck signals as well-quack.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #172
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
is there no volume control?
Post-gain controls the output volume. Pre-Gain controls the input volume.

They can be linked with the little symbol next to them.

@Kneipp123; Do you have reapack itself installed?

@FoxAsteria; Are you using lookahead or the FIR? They incur extra delay. What is your blocksize? Lowering that will also shorten the delay.

Code:
Changelog:
- Added 50% gain to parallel mode.
- Added second wahwah mode.
- Swapped cutoff and resonance for the wahwah filter.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-05-2019 at 04:00 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #173
foxAsteria

Quote:
@FoxAsteria; Are you using lookahead or the FIR? They incur extra delay.
Ah yea I had both on. Seems better now, thx.

Would it be possible that when dynamics is switched off, that range could apply to incoming MIDI? So that the full range of a control could be mapped to just that region? On a wah pedal there is often a way to limit the max and min, so something like that here would be helpful and can have other applications as well.

Not sure how useful it is to have control over the pre-highpass of the wah. It has a very minor affect on the sound that could easily be handled by the second filter or another plugin. I think it would be more helpful to have control of the actual resonance. E.g. the weeping demon II is nice, but a bit too subtle and muffling for guitar, So it would be nicer to be able to increase the resonance separately. There's a typo in the description, btw. It mentions cutoff twice but not resonance.

Can you shed a lit light on what is particular about wah filters, now that you've researched it a bit?

@Everyone - anyone opposed to changing the order of the modules? I think this order makes more sense:
Master
Dynamics
LFO
Filter 1
Filter 2
That way gain and threshold are near each other, thresh is by the line it controls, and filters are near their descriptions.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-05-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:16 AM   #174
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Ah yea I had both on. Seems better now, thx.
Yeah, I should probably add a little warning to the tooltips of FIR and Lookahead about their effect on the overall plugin delay.

Quote:
Would it be possible that when dynamics is switched off, that range could apply to incoming MIDI? So that the full range of a control could be mapped to just that region? On a wah pedal there is often a way to limit the max and min, so something like that here would be helpful and can have other applications as well.
Nope. No more sliders. What you want I think is something like this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101430
It's been an FR on REAPER since forever. I'm not sure, because I've never used it myself, but supposedly Realearn provides something like this functionality.

The range already applies to incoming MIDI as in MIDI velocity under MIDI2. The MIDI modes just change it to a triggered response rather than an RMS response.

Quote:
Not sure how useful it is to have control over the pre-highpass of the wah. It has a very minor affect on the sound that could easily be handled by the second filter or another plugin. I think it would be more helpful to have control of the actual resonance. E.g. the weeping demon II is nice, but a bit too subtle and muffling for guitar, So it would be nicer to be able to increase the resonance separately. There's a typo in the description, btw. It mentions cutoff twice but not resonance.

Can you shed a lit light on what is particular about wah filters, now that you've researched it a bit?
Researched is a big word. The equations for this wahwah came from https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~chet/ . I did not model this one myself.

I did have another one in the pipeline based on a dunlop crybaby (which actually modelled all the cool nonlinearities in the transistors), but that model fails to remain stable enough to be useful in JSFX, so I never put it in Filther even though the outside JSFX version that I did in matlab sounds great. The big issue with that model is that I need to invert an 8x8 sparse matrix or solve an 8 equation system iteratively, which when I do it symbolically gives me absolutely atrocious equations (that are very big and very expensive, 50% cpu usage on my pc at 1x oversampling D: ). I tried to use common subexpression elimination in python to cook this down into a more manageable number of calculations, and while that 'worked' in terms of CPU usage (down to 10% at 1x) it seems to have affected the stability in a very negative way, constantly blowing up the filter. This was all in all a frustrating experience on which I blew a whole weekend ;_;.

Anyways, rant over, so for Chet's Weeping Demon (for which you should thank him, not me ), I have four parameters (L0/LPF, WAH_theta, Q and bass (or or 1 flag, the ][ version has this flag set to 1)). I have two sliders in filther (and out of sliders ), so I have to cook it down. I played a bit with the settings and eventually decided on the following mapping.

Level is fixed. Since this can be alternately controlled at the pregain.
LO/LPF = 100 + 99900 * res;
WAH_theta = 5 + 12*cutoff; (under 5 I barely heard anything)
Q = 100 + 249900*(.4*cutoff+.25);

I can see if I can make another where the Q is exposed and L0 is just set to a value or 0. Maybe something like:

LO/LPF = 100;
WAH_theta = 5 + 12*cutoff;
Q = 100 + 249900*(.4*res+.25);

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-06-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #175
Eliseat

Hi Sai'ke,

all the new stuff works great now. The parallel mode allows cool double rhythms if used with different modulation sources (one LFO and one DYN). And also with different filter models like one LP and one HP.
As Bri demanded, this would be even more cool with a second LFO. But since this isn't possible because of the slider problem - could you instead add at least a pulse (rectangle - on/off) LFO mode to allow more drastic modulation? What I have in mind is something like one filter with 1/16 chop while the other just uses the DYN. Or a complete amp chopping of the output.

And finally there is one last thing which seems a bit annoying, and I have no idea if this can be fixed: If I draw in the waveshapers, once set points jump randomly around if I add a new one. This is the only thing what really disturbs the workflow because you always have to re-position those points. But I also have a good understanding that this is not a major flaw. It would just be nice if this could be fixed. (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

In general I have to say that we now have such a massive amount of possibilities - I just realized how complex and sophisticated my presets get. This is pure fun!

AND: Could you explain what those LFO modes actually do? Okay I know sinus and cosinus as same waveform just shifted. But ext, 2*sin etc. - is there a description somewhere?

Many thanks for all of your great work.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #176
Bri1
Banned

uhh- request m8-request
try lookup this> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions
more follows..moar filth..filther functionz n equationz..fhatfilth for der future.
hmmm..actually..furry filters..now there's sommin.. furry...meow.
maybe some fhattastik fury filth?
dunnoez-but maybe 1 willnoez.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #177
Eliseat

Uhm, Bri1, what do you mean? ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)

Furry filters?
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #178
Bri1
Banned

lolz- blessed cats-- everywhere ya go on da net! surely,they deserve their 'own' type of special,filtration... meeowww...ya know- 1 that purrs like a pussy.
then ya got all the other animals..like the savage honey badger- omy dayz bruv- you do not wanna mess with da honey badgers =rofl!
this of course is leaving out all the other 'cosmic' filters--such as the mighty jupiter,or the lonely,plutonious filtration types...
1 must expand the mind to accept all the potentials: the possibilities are infinite.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #179
foxAsteria

Quote:
Nope. No more sliders.
Oh I know you're out of sliders, I just thought the modulation range could have a dual purpose. Still no? It's ok, I've already got ReaLearn in my default project so I'll try that. Geez I'm sorry I led down a path of frustration with that wah stuff. Hopefully it wasn't all a loss. I'd love to hear that crybaby emulation...

One more thing: with the parallel filters I was imagining them being able to process L and R independently. Is this already possible? I didn't find a way. It's what Stereo says in the description, but I'm expecting to hear the filters separately in my speakers. I think I don't understand the implementation of the channel stuff. I thought we would be able to choose which channel to process for each filter (L R M S).

I wish I'd developed more of an appreciation for math, haha. I was not able to comprehend much of that technical stuff...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #180
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
This was all in all a frustrating experience on which I blew a whole weekend ;_;.

hmm-bless..still worth the efforts.
it would be just great if after all additions have been considered+made to fit,that like 5 massive brainz give this a good once or twice over code_wise---looking for possible typo's,or optimizations in the text.
this is a beast already,and +2 to maybe seperate channels+pan options would just ice the cake.
1 can beg,but 1 may not get.. but who's begging...right?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #181
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
AND: Could you explain what those LFO modes actually do? Okay I know sinus and cosinus as same waveform just shifted. But ext, 2*sin etc. - is there a description somewhere?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #182
ReaMike

I just spent about 3 hours running various synths through Filther and loved every second. It's crazy how much of a difference oversampling can make on some filter models, particularly when overdriven. It's almost like having a number of variations on the one filter.

Even the 'bad' sounds are good!
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #183
Eliseat

Quote:
Holy ...!

Okay, it seems ... No, you really take this serious. -`ღ´-
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM   #184
Bri1
Banned

heh-so today is international: "guess that shape day"

request= goniometer ..pre/post?
updates are very welcomed+thanx!
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #185
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I just spent about 3 hours running various synths through Filther and loved every second. It's crazy how much of a difference oversampling can make!

^-yep-- this is going to need some real extensive testings by users to catch any gremlins that lurk in the filth... there is a lot here atmo.. so please,try all options noting erratic behaviours to sai'ke thanx..
a community effort helps speed up such needed focusing to details..and clarity.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #186
sai'ke

What? A goniometer is a measurement device for angles afaik. You mean the spectrum analyzer that you asked me over PM?
Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #187
Bri1
Banned

@sai'ke- nono- loser made 1 a while back as an analysis tool-- i like the dots while held type... thinking more so a vectorscoper of some kind..liss or polar perhaps..?
do_ossible? as seems being out of sliders w/e-- maybe graphics can still be 'included' as a bit of sweetener> ?
need not be super high res- just some xtra simplified visual feedbacks (preferably optional for users that do not want such things)
dunno-but dayyymmm__your good at this.. well done.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #188
sai'ke

Ah, so phase angles. I guess that name makes some sense then. I don't know. To be honest, I liked the spectrum idea better, because at least at the moment, the Filther's main function is not stereo-spread but more cutting/sculpting. Thing is though, no more sliders. I'm not so sure how useful a built in spectral analyzer is if you can't tweak it at all. Especially considering that popping in a standalone on the chain is super easy.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #189
Bri1
Banned

^aye- it's totally your call as any suggests like that are going waaay off the intended 1st ideas.
just seeing what sticks as 1 casts a net of possibles..
gonna have another session tonight-think i found something else you may be interested to inspect at some point in time..
master of reality+destiny --> you are.
this is filth dimensional vibrations-as it's given freely + made with universallove.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #190
foxAsteria

Where is the randomization feature, I can't find it? Did it already get removed? Personally I think it would be enough if we could just randomize the filter combo and nothing else. There are extensive combinations between those and the channels that randomizing would be a quick way to change the feel of the filter without anything too insane happening.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #191
Bri1
Banned

^is shift+r - please pay attention while studying..
reeowww miooew
**removed annoying cat**

the randomizing has some really bizarre effects atmo--
+ also think it should be contained to some more sensible params- lockable be nicer.

Last edited by Bri1; 02-07-2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: **removed annoying cat**
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #192
foxAsteria

Thx. Attention is not my problem; it's retention. Yea and sensible parameters def don't include resonance or gain...wowzers.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #193
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
my problem; it's retention.

heh-try seeing the doc,or herbalist about that..+ well your lucky-mine is retardation
it may also seem sensible to suggest all filters having a minimum cutoff point (eg:15hz) >as some may fall into the sonic abyss-- now who would wanna miss,some fishazzle n hiss..?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:37 AM   #194
sai'ke

Quote:
Yea and sensible parameters def don't include resonance or gain...wowzers.

Figure 1: FoxAsteria trying out the randomization "feature".

I was thinking of just making different shortcut keys. Shift R, randomize everything. Shift F, randomize filter, etc. Locking would be nice to have, but I'm out of storage space for those addition parameters. The thing that is tricky though is that the best settings often contain an element of having too much gain in the input (to get some saturation dynamics going). Getting to that sweet spot of distortion is something that's not so easy with a plug that has so many options.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-08-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 AM   #195
Eliseat

Quote:

I was thinking of just making different shortcut keys. Shift R, randomize everything. Shift F, randomize filter, etc. Locking would be nice to have, but I'm out of storage space for those addition parameters. The thing that is tricky though is that the best settings often contain an element of having too much gain in the input (to get some saturation dynamics going). Getting to that sweet spot of distortion is something that's not so easy with a plug that has so many options.
Filter swap? (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #196
Eliseat

Okay, Sai'ke,

I didn't know, what the harmonics LFOs was meant for until now: It just happened that I cranked the resonance to a self resonating amount and then ... -`ღ´- (⊙‿⊙✿).

Great idea and a nice toy to play with. Now it gets more and more complicated. I checked my old presets and was astound that they used only one filter without LFO. How could I dare? Ah, I forgot there was only one filter and no LFO when I created them.

Last update was amazing as every new version. Thank you so much!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #197
foxAsteria

Quote:

Heheh...accurate.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #198
mawi

the contrast in the dropdown menu is very bad. you can't read what is highlighted.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #199
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawi View Post
the contrast in the dropdown menu is very bad. you can't read what is highlighted.
Fixed.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #200
sai'ke

So, finally finally finally got the second wahwah (crybaby) to play nice.

Messy messy, but it works.

Oh yeah, changelog, not many entries this time, but pretty tricky ones to implement:
+ Crybaby!
+ FFT visualizer. Line = post, grey area = pre.
+ Fix contrast issue combobox.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-09-2019 at 05:11 PM.