Old 11-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
ghanedan
Human being with feelings

Default Rec standby button

Imagine you have a midi track and a seperate audio track that you monitor the audio coming from the midi track.

You just want to record to the midi track but not to the audio track.

EDIT: Another scenario is where you have 2 different audio input sources, and you want to record to one track while you just want to monitor the other input, but not record it.

Currently there is no way to monitor-only audio input during recording other than;

- Press record button
- Right click context menu and select "Monitor only do not record".
- The record button gets into a dim state.

Rather than this workflow, a standby state on the record button is desirable.

In this state Reaper should only-monitor audio for the track, regardless of the playback or recording state ( stopped, playing, recording etc. )

Code:
Rec button state = off
click
Rec button state = standby ( do not record, input monitoring only ) 
click
Rec button state = rec
click
Rec button state = off
Kind Regards,

Last edited by ghanedan; 11-20-2020 at 06:53 PM.
ghanedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
ivansc

There is already a standby state.
Click on the record button on the track(s) you want to record on them press play instead of record. you will them be in exactly the state that you want.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
ghanedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
There is already a standby state.
Click on the record button on the track(s) you want to record on them press play instead of record. you will them be in exactly the state that you want.
The problem is one cannot record midi-only without bringing a corresponding audio monitoring track to recording state ( and then selecting "do not record monitor only" ).

Imagine you have a midi track and a seperate audio track that you monitor the audio coming from the midi track.

EDIT: Another scenario is where you have 2 different audio input sources, and you want to record to one track while you just want to monitor the other input, but not record it.

That is not possible in your given solution.

Last edited by ghanedan; 11-20-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Fergler

He's not wrong, this scenario comes up all the time for me. I flip back and forth between a drum pad, piano, bass guitar, and electric guitar all the time and I use automatic record arm in order to do so. But this leaves the other instruments mute until I make a selection.

I'd so much rather have monitoring separate from recording.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:48 AM   #5
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
This would be nice!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:02 AM   #6
ghanedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I have another request to seperate monitoring and recording here;

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244970

I think I'll revert back to my old daw until the monitoring part of Reaper matures a bit more for professional multi-track recording.

Kind Regards,
Old 11-21-2020, 02:56 AM   #7
AZpercussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanedan View Post

Currently there is no way to monitor-only audio input during recording other than;

- Press record button
- Right click context menu and select "Monitor only do not record".
- The record button gets into a dim state.

Rather than this workflow, a standby state on the record button is desirable.

In this state Reaper should only-monitor audio for the track, regardless of the playback or recording state ( stopped, playing, recording etc. )

Code:
Rec button state = off
click
Rec button state = standby ( do not record, input monitoring only ) 
click
Rec button state = rec
click
Rec button state = off
Kind Regards,
ghanedan, I agree that the right-click menu is a bit far away for this function. Rec arm is used more often, i think, so this order is better:
rec arm off
rec arrm on
monitoring only

Also, in your case, I don't really understand why you should use a separate audio track if you can put the vsti on the track on which the midi items records. Or you can make a midi send to a track or several, if you need to layer and mix different vsti.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
ghanedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
ghanedan, I agree that the right-click menu is a bit far away for this function. Rec arm is used more often, i think, so this order is better:
rec arm off
rec arrm on
monitoring only
You sequence of states is OK for me. Altough during playback one would immediately want to transition to record state, from monitoring ( standby state ), more often than non-monitoring ( off ) state.

That's why it would be better if standby states come just before rec state.

Quote:
Also, in your case, I don't really understand why you should use a separate audio track if you can put the vsti on the track on which the midi items records. Or you can make a midi send to a track or several, if you need to layer and mix different vsti.
Because I don't use vsti. I am on pure hardware synths.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:55 AM   #9
Pink Wool

Quote:

I think I'll revert back to my old daw until the monitoring part of Reaper matures a bit more for professional multi-track recording.
While I can understand your frustration and need for a feature like this, could you please avoid using the terms "matures" and "professional" when making feature requests? There's plenty of "pro" users that use Reaper. So in that sense Reaper is "pro" and there's no need for the condescending tone.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:20 AM   #10
AZpercussion

Quote:
Altough during playback one would immediately want to transition to record state, from monitoring ( standby state ), more often than non-monitoring ( off ) state.
Yes, in your case it is relevant.
Therefore, I think that the general solution would be the ability to change the mouse modifiers for TCP buttons.
For example, Alt + left click on rec arm button toggles it through 3 states.
Then everyone can customize this and other buttons as it is more convenient for him.
Somewhere this topic has already been raised. Worth raising again.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
ghanedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
While I can understand your frustration and need for a feature like this, could you please avoid using the terms "matures" and "professional" when making feature requests? There's plenty of "pro" users that use Reaper. So in that sense Reaper is "pro" and there's no need for the condescending tone.
I can emphatize with your feelings about the terms I have used about Reaper.

From my months' of usage experience I must confess Reaper's routing, customization capabilities and stability is unrivalled and near to perfection, but my usage of those words were about Reaper's multitrack audio and MIDI daw recording workflows.

I must confess I am a bit surprised as I had to explain the case where monitoring and recording had to be decoupled, because almost all DAWs of some history ( won't put their names here ) by default implement recording and monitoring in this way, because this is a very basic and default hardware based workflow of the past.

From the responses I understand that the user base for Reaper ( for whom the software was designed in mind and is evolving for ) are either pure in-the-box producers or podcaster type audio-only users that never need to record simultanous external audio channels on the fly, while monitoring others, as my request was so ailen to people who responded.

Hope this, and the efforts I have given to explain my own workflows (which I usually dislike sharing) clarifies the seemingly arrogant words I have used towards the software's abilities.

Best Wishes,

Last edited by ghanedan; 11-21-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
ivansc

Quote:

Because I don't use vsti. I am on pure hardware synths.
Aha! All is clear now.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
AZpercussion

Quote:
From the responses I understand that the user base for Reaper ( for whom the software was designed in mind and is evolving for ) are either pure in-the-box producers or podcaster type audio-only users that never need to record simultanous external audio channels on the fly, while monitoring others, as my request was so ailen to people who responded.
There are a lot of post-production and sound design guys.
By the way, I had multitrack music sessions in Reaper. But without hardware synth. Quite convenient.

Last edited by AZpercussion; 11-21-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
ghanedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
There are a lot of post-production and sound design guys.
By the way, I had multitrack music sessions in Reaper. But without hardware synth. Quite convenient.
Good to know. It is rock solid stable indeed.

Any ideas how these feauture requests work, I mean will I be notified if it is merged into the next release etc. ?
Old 11-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #15
AZpercussion

Quote:
Any ideas how these feauture requests work, I mean will I be notified if it is merged into the next release etc. ?
Yes, an interesting question ...

I made request about mouse modifiers for track buttons and wait for your likes.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=245240