Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
Henshaw44
Human being with feelings

Default multichannel out (not midi but for fx sends)

am trying to get my head around the concept of multichannels within a track.

I like Kenny's video here [url]https://youtu.be/KhK8UGYRXXc[url]

but was wondering:

say I want an EQ after the reverb that is intended to only cut the "tinkle" on the hats in its reverb only...

would I make the hats 4 channels and then route 3/4 only thru to reverb 3/4 and have EQ only after accept 3/4 so that kick and snare staying on 1/2 would not be similarly affected...?

is that the way it works? much thanks... looked around but all the multichannel vids are focusing on midi for drumming programmings/multi-out vsts... anyone with a good resource on using channels for fx routing please share... much thanks!
Henshaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henshaw44 View Post
am trying to get my head around the concept of multichannels within a track.

I like Kenny's video here [url]https://youtu.be/KhK8UGYRXXc[url]

but was wondering:

say I want an EQ after the reverb that is intended to only cut the "tinkle" on the hats in its reverb only...

would I make the hats 4 channels and then route 3/4 only thru to reverb 3/4 and have EQ only after accept 3/4 so that kick and snare staying on 1/2 would not be similarly affected...?

is that the way it works? much thanks... looked around but all the multichannel vids are focusing on midi for drumming programmings/multi-out vsts... anyone with a good resource on using channels for fx routing please share... much thanks!
I create separate tracks that act as a bus for the multi-channels. Single mono channels that are mono go to a single bus
panned to Center, and any 2 channels that are stereo are panned L & R respectively and also go to a single bus.

To do this, as you suggest, I use the channel routing to go to the different buses/tracks. For example, if it was recorded
drums, it might look like this:

Kik (chan-1) routed 1 to 1/2 of the Kik bus.
Snare Top mic (chan-2) routed 2 to 1/2 of the Top mic Snare bus.
Snare Bot mic (chan-3) routed 3 to 1/2 of the Top mic Snare bus.
Hi-Hat (chan-4) routed 4 to 1/2 of the Hi-Hat bus.
Tom1 (chan-5) routed 5 to 1/2 of the Tom1 bus.
Tom1 (chan-6) routed 6 to 1/2 of the Tom2 bus.
Tom1 (chan-7) routed 7 to 1/2 of the Tom3 bus.
OverHeads (chan-8&9) routed 8&9 to 1/2 of the OH bus.

This way you've go separate busses for each kit piece.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
ashcat_lt

You want to cut "tinkle" out of the reverbed hats, but not from the hats themselves and not from any of the other reverbed instruments? And this verb is all 100% wet, like a reverb bus (or aux or whatever) that is parallel to the overall dry mix? Have you decided that you really need the EQ after the verb, rather than before? In my mind it seems like it would be more natural the other way, but it's possible it doesn't matter at all.

Most important question: Is this reverb actual 4 independent channels through, or at least two independent stereo pairs? Otherwise you'll need two of them. The routing should be the same either way.

The easiest way to do this - especially if your reverb is actually only stereo - really would be to send the hat to 3/4 and the rest of the kit to 1/2. Set the EQ to input from and output to 3/4, then the input of the reverb inputs from 1/2 and 3/4. That's of course only if you can live with having the EQ before the verb.

Otherwise what you posted is I think close to the way you'd do it with either a 4-channel verb or two stereo verbs (one on 1/2 and the other on 3/4, parameter linked if you like) except I'm pretty sure you don't want the hats on 1/2 going in. Only send them to 3/4 or they'll get double verbed, and I don't think you want that. You'll also need to sum the stereo pairs back to 1/2 after all the FX, though. I would probably just drop in ReaEQ and set its pins appropriately, but anything at all will work - including the multichannel mixer plugs.

Now, if that verb is not 100% wet, things get even weirder. You'll need another pair of channels carrying the dry mix, leave the actual verb plugs 100% wet, and then you probably will want a channel mixer plug to use for wet/dry balance, though I suppose the output volume of the verb plug(s) would do that.

There aren't too many good reasons to do this all on one track, though. I do it all the time, but I can't explain why.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Henshaw44

Default thanks... ashcat, exactly what I'm needing help on

that being said, thanks too for the help on multiout midi routing as I've just fiddled with drumaxx and got it working today... so thanks, too, Tod

yes, ashcat... i think i've forgotten about the wet/dry thing in the reverb so i'm getting dry *bleed* i guess... much thanks for helping out and i love the mixing possibilities/routing...

much thanks... haven't used reaper in 10 yrs. it's come a long way.
Henshaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote