Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
xethicx
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with computer after new software install.. reward for help lol?

Hey guys, so I bought Superior Drummer 3 about a month ago and since installing it, I have noticed a really annoying problem that maybe someone on here has encountered.

So I have my main drive with windows and a lot of other programs on it but it didn't have the whopping 230GB free that I need to run SD3 properly so I installed it on another drive. That drive has always been in use because it's where I store all of my recordings, wav files, sessions etc. I have never had an issue with the drive prior to the SD3 installation.

Since installing SD3, if I step away from the computer or don't touch the keyboard or mouse for a few mins, I hear one of the drives start making a bunch of fairly loud noises like it's working a lot, I assume it's the D drive because the E drive is external and the C drive is an SSD. It will do this non-stop until I touch the keyboard or mouse and then it stops.

I assume this either has something to do with SD3 or the power settings in the computer that I changed during the installation. I tried putting the settings in power settings back to normal but I am not sure if I did or not.

So basically, short version, I installed SD3, the drive it's on is acting weird. Can anyone help me out or toss me some suggestions? Maybe tell me what my power settings should look like.

It's audible through mics so that's kind of annoying. $20USD Paypal reward for a successful fix of the problem.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #2
Goldreap

Sounds like it might be indexing when idle. Just a guess..forget the bucks lol.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
xethicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Sounds like it might be indexing when idle. Just a guess..forget the bucks lol.
How do I fix said issue. lol I am only semi computer literate.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
xethicx

The noise changes, it starts out like a solid loud noise and then switches to a lower noise with only pulses that are louder. Dunno if that helps.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
serr

Windows users, does Windows have a spotlight search feature like OSX that indexes files for search features?

That sounds like a likely explanation. If you copied a couple hundred gigs of data, that will take a minute to index. And... longer if you keep telling it "stop that for now!" So the fix would be to let it finish.
(Again, based on speculation that Windows has a similar spotlight search feature.)

Does that plugin install have a stand-alone app? And it constantly monitors the sample library and keeps the drive active? And it's currently launched and running in the background?

That's the kind of Rube Goldberg-like scenario that would point to that app as a cause. Very unlikely is what I'm trying to say!

Energy settings like preventing connected hard drives from 'sleeping' vs. not are a thing. But that behavior wouldn't change form copying some files to one of the drives (even hundreds of GB).

Worst case scenario I can make up is said file copying of hundreds of GB to your data drive during install pushed an aging drive over the edge and it's starting to fail and make death noises. I doubt this but make sure your backups are current just the same.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Worst case scenario I can make up is said file copying of hundreds of GB to your data drive during install pushed an aging drive over the edge and it's starting to fail and make death noises. I doubt this but make sure your backups are current just the same.
Yeah, I don't know, but the pulsing noise the OP describes sounds like the what I've often heard when spinning drives begin to fail. It's like it's repeatedly trying to read a sector that can't be read.

Make sure your data is safe xethicx.
allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
xethicx

Yah I am going to back up the drive tonight. If it was a failing drive though, why does the noise stop when I touch the mouse or keyboard? The drive doesn't make this noise when I am actually using the computer.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Goldreap

Yeah, the noises you describe point to a failing drive, but then again, the fact that the noise stops when you start doing something is what made me think it might be indexing. But as I said, only guessing. Wouldn't hurt to turn indexing off to test. It's easy: just dial up My computer> D drive> right click> properties, then uncheck the thing at the bottom. Then restart your computer (to be sure). If the noise is still there then I'd be worried. BTW, as Serr said, if it is an indexing thing, it would go away when it's finished, but this will take a long time because SD3 has a lot of small files to index. It's up to you whether you want indexing on...all it does (I think) is make searching for things quicker (do you have to search that drive much? Probably not).

Last edited by Goldreap; 11-17-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
Goldreap

....another thing, how much free space is left on that drive?
And listen closely, is the noise anything like clicking? That would be not good.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #10
xethicx

Well, disabling the indexing did nothing so we know it's not that. I will look into the other things mentioned. Loads of free space on the drive. Should I maybe defrag it? I dunno. Ughhhh running the seagate drive testing tools and tests, maybe that will tell me something.

Last edited by xethicx; 11-17-2017 at 10:51 PM.
xethicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #11
pryere

Do you know if its a 5400 rpm drive? 7200 rpm is desirable in most cases.
I would get all the data from the drive and then retire it while you can.
Any unusual noises from drives is a bad sign.

Hope this 'elps

Peace
pryere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryere View Post
Do you know if its a 5400 rpm drive? 7200 rpm is desirable in most cases.
I would get all the data from the drive and then retire it while you can.
Any unusual noises from drives is a bad sign.

Hope this 'elps

Peace
Seconded, thirded and fourthed. In any case, replacing the drive will tell you whether it's a h/w or s/w issue.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethicx View Post
... seagate...
Yeah, you should back that up right now.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
viscofisy

What version of Windows are you running?

You could first try starting the Task Manager to see what is using your disk.

Go to the taskbar and right click to bring up Task Manager in Windows.

You'll see tabs at the top which you can click on for details of what's accessing disk or CPU or RAM - and how much is being used.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
xethicx

It's a hitachi drive not a seagate, the software is seagate though. I tested the drive in about 10 ways and it tests perfect. Also, to ensure the testing went fine I switched the power setting to never shut down the hard drives and now, I hear no noises at all. Not a peep. So fixed for now? I guess?
Old 11-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
Goldreap

Well as my mechanic says when I take in my old car, "Seems OK now, but I'd keep an eye on it" lol.