Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
rejetto
Human being with feelings

Default next-track that really works

Hello, i have little time but i want to share with you my last finding.

Problem:
1. select track 3
2. touch master volume (notice track 3 is still selected)
3. launch action "next track"
outcome: track 1 is selected instead of track 4.

i'm using reaper 4, i don't know if this applies to other versions.

I'm using Reaper mostly live, on stage, with a master keyboard.
Needing different sounds in different times of a song, i change track from the keyboard using a button.

In few cases i was embarrassed by having the wrong sound (wrong track selected).
It took me a while to understand that it was because of the problem described above, as when it happens you don't often have the time to make many tests.

After some studying i found a possible solution to this:

- go to actions
- new custom action
- give it a name, like "reliable next track"
- put 2 actions in the following order:
1. set first selected track as last touched track
2. go to next track
- check "show in actions menu"
- i suggest to also "consolidate undo points"

now assign your button to THIS action, and not to "go to next track", as our new action will take care to reset the "touched track".

I hope this may help other people with my problem.
rejetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
serr

I've run across a few actions that target "selected" tracks (and are labeled as such) but that actually target the "last touched" track.

That must be what's going on here.

It can get confusing because often 'last touched' and 'selected' are the same thing and thus you usually get the expected behavior.

I wonder if a control surface works with 'last touched' instead of 'selected'...

I use this as a feature. If I select a track with the mouse, the Faderport (a 'control surface') jumps to that track. The last/next track buttons work as expected.

If I select a track by clicking one of the programmable buttons on the UC-33 (a 'MIDI controller') that I have assigned to select a particular track, the selection changes as expected. However, the Faderport doesn't see this. - So I guess it must actually be going by 'last touched' and NOT 'selected'.

So... that lets me "assign" a channel to the Faderport with the mouse that stays put. Then I can then 'select' a new channel with the UC-33 and use the UC-33 fader I have assigned to "currently selected track" to control the new channel. The Faderport stays with the 'last touched' (with the mouse) track.

So I get 2 wildcard faders.

Order of operations is key with that!
And yes I did once pull the leslie track volume down instead of the snare reverb during a show. But only for a second. Probably no one noticed...
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
foxAsteria

You also have actions to directly select tracks by track number and there is an option in mouse preferences to not change track selection when touching knobs and faders. As long as that option is unticked, I don't get the behavior you describe using the SWS select next/previous track" actions. In other words, you should install SWS Extensions.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
You also have actions to directly select tracks by track number
That's what I was talking about having assigned to some of my UC-33 programmable buttons.

This all actually adds another layer of control options. You get to use both 'selected' and 'last touched'. The confusion comes about because there are actions labeled incorrectly as 'selected' that are actually 'last touched' in function.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote