Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Square root E
Human being with feelings

Default Problems with MIDI

Hello community,

i own Reaper since a few days but i seem to have a problem with my MIDI device. I use a Keyboard with a MIDI to usb interface (cable).
I can select it in Reaper, but when i play it it sounds very badly and a bit distorted, like it is clipping. I can play with the volume or settings but it doesn't seem to help.
Neither my realtime playback nor my recordings are in a good quality, i tried different VSTi's and plugins but everything seems to have the same problem.
Is this a known issue? Did i overlook something?

Thanks in advance!

regards,
Square Root E
Square root E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
ivansc

Are you trying to record MIDI data from your keyboard into Reaper, or the keyboard's own sound module sounds?

Would also help if we knew what make and model of keyboard you have.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and if you didnt already, do donload and check out the free Users Guide and look at some of the free video tutorials, all referred to in the download section of th front page of this site.

Heres the link https://www.reaper.fm/
Old 11-17-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
Square root E

Hi thanks for the introduction ^^

I do want to record the midi data only. My problem is, when i record any VSTi with my MIDI connected keyboard i get a kind of distorted sound. When i do it with an other DAW (i tried it with LMMS) it sounds normal. When i use the virtual keyboard in Reaper it also sounds normal. Only when i record it with MIDI i get those distortions...
Old 11-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
slipstick

It sounds very odd because MIDI is just data, instructions to the VSTi, so how you get distorted sound from that is difficult to imagine.

But if you tell us what keyboard you're talking about as ivansc asked and also what VSTi(s) you have tried it might be easier to help.

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square root E View Post
I do want to record the midi data only. My problem is, when i record any VSTi with my MIDI connected keyboard i get a kind of distorted sound. When i do it with an other DAW (i tried it with LMMS) it sounds normal. When i use the virtual keyboard in Reaper it also sounds normal. Only when i record it with MIDI i get those distortions...
I know of no problems associated with a keyboard playing midi into Reaper. Midi is midi and has no sound, so the distortion you're hearing is probably a loop back or feedback problem, due to your routing.

Can you explain in detail what your routing is and maybe post some screenshots of your tracks. Maybe even post Your Reaper project RPP file without any audio.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
onewayout

Is it possible you have your latency set too low? My system doesn't let me go below 256...
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #7
Square root E

Ok, thanks for all the feedback.

My keyboard is a Technics KN800
But i don't think this will help. It's an old one, but as some of you have said: Its just MIDI data, no sound. I know...
I don't have a "project" neither. I just started using Reaper since a few days. I didn't changed any setting except for the VST path. I just added a track, selected my USB MIDI interface as input and that's it.
I have tried a lot of VSTi's but they all seem to have the same affection. Examples are: EZKEys, EZDrumms, 4FrontPiano.

I only have 1 single track, i can reboot Reaper or start a new project as often as i want but it doesn't help.
As i said, in LMMS (other DAW) it works fine, with the same Keyboard and VST's.
It's likely that i have to change any setting, but i have no clue which one...

I uploaded an example of how it sounds in Reaper and in LMMS. Notice that the Keyboard, recording type and VST is exactly the same: http://www.mediafire.com/file/s2l096...w/Examples.zip

(Volume and speed can differ)

I hope it is more clear now ^^

Last edited by Square root E; 11-19-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: included a sound example
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
ivansc

Go to Preferences/options menu and have a look at what is showing in your MIDI devices selection.

Since your keyboard IS old, I assume you are connecting with a 5pin din. MIDI cable so the actual keyboard will not show up here.
What WILL show up is whatever MIDI connection you are using to connect the computer and the keyboard.
Just found a pdf of the user manual and it does indeed use a regular din MIDI connection.

So - exactly HOW are you connecting to the MIDI "out" of the keyboard?
What are you using as a MIDI interconnect and where are you connecting it to?
My guess is that you have one of those budget MIDI to USB bits of wire, which from my own experience are a bit of a crap shoot in terms of actually connecting, signal quality and of course latency.
Just looked up LMMS and it appears to be aimed primarily at the Linu market. You ARE on Windows, aren't you?
Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
Square root E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post

So - exactly HOW are you connecting to the MIDI "out" of the keyboard?
What are you using as a MIDI interconnect and where are you connecting it to?
My guess is that you have one of those budget MIDI to USB bits of wire, which from my own experience are a bit of a crap shoot in terms of actually connecting, signal quality and of course latency.
Just looked up LMMS and it appears to be aimed primarily at the Linu market. You ARE on Windows, aren't you?
Yes i use such an MIDI to USB cable. But can this really be the problem? I mean all it has to do is to transfer data. I don't have noticeable latency at all. If i play the EZKeys VST for example in stand alone mode, it sounds just fine.
Yes LMMS is aimed at Linux and i am using Windows, but i worked with LMMS a lot, and i didn't had any problems...
Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #10
Tod

I think I hear phasing in the "Reaper MIDI" file and that's an indication of a routing problem.

You say you've only got one track, so add another track and make it your midi track, set that track up for your keyboard, then route/send it to the VSTi track.

On the Midi track send, set it up this way:

Audio: None MIDI: All->X ("X" being the midi channel, which is probably 1 in this case).

If you've already used your keyboard and got sound, then I assume you know how to set that up.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Square root E

Default Solved

Well, thank you all for responding and trying to help me

I'm sorry that i took your time. I found the solution; my keyboard has two channels for two instruments on the device. I always have them both activated when i play the keyboard itself. LMMS ignore the different channels, but Reaper doesn't. That's why Reaper get two channels with the same audio. That was the problem...

Again, thanks for your help!