Old 06-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
Dupal
Human being with feelings

Default Saving subprojects fails

When trying to save a newly created subproject, an error message is displayed: "Cannot overwrite file". File is saved as ...NEWTEMP.
Project is stored on local harddrive, no connection to any cloud services.
Reaper 5.91. Windows 10.

Last edited by Dupal; 06-10-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Dupal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
vitalker

Do you run Reaper as admin? If not, try to do that.
Maybe you've changed something in system settings and after that this error appears?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
Dupal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Do you run Reaper as admin? If not, try to do that.
Maybe you've changed something in system settings and after that this error appears?
Tried to run Reaper as admin - unfortunately no change.
Haven't done any system changes (as far as I'm aware). Saving "normal" projects works just fine.

Last edited by Dupal; 06-12-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupal View Post
Tried to run Reaper as admin - unfortunately no change.
Haven't done any system changes (as far as I'm aware). Saving "normal" projects works just fine.
Hm. Maybe the subproject file is read-only? That's why you can't overwrite it.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #5
Dupal

Default Found cause: Automatic render must be switched on

I still suspect it's a bug (but may be I'm missing some dependencies) - anyway - I found the cause of the problem: The switch "Do not automatically render subprojects"
(Command ID 42333) must be set to off, then it works again.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupal View Post
I still suspect it's a bug (but may be I'm missing some dependencies) - anyway - I found the cause of the problem: The switch "Do not automatically render subprojects"
(Command ID 42333) must be set to off, then it works again.
After you turned it off, you have to render them manually. Add some details to your report, so devs or other forumites could solve the issue.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
Dupal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
After you turned it off, you have to render them manually. Add some details to your report, so devs or other forumites could solve the issue.
In my case the problem is solved by setting "Prompt before automatic rerender of background subprojects" (Command 42334) to "off". I just want to avoid user interaction to render subprojects within a lua-script.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Dupal

Default Resolve confusion, clarification

Appologies - my description was kind of confusing.

In the meantime I found out, that both commands, "Do not auotomatically render subprojects" (42333) and "Prompt before automatic rerender of background subprojects" (42334) cause problems when creating subprojects.

When either of those options are set to on, the creation of the subproject seems to be incomplete: Instead of 4 (extensions rpp, rpp-bak, rpp-PROX, rpp-PROX.reapeaks) there are just 2 files created (the first two). This leads to (at least) two problems: The subprojects can not be opened from the "parent" project (by selecting the subproject track and hitting ctrl+alt+E) and the subprojects can not be saved or rendered (the mentioned error message, that the files can not be overwritten, is displayed).

Please check out this post (located in the development area) for a code example in a lua-script:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210937

Last edited by Dupal; 09-10-2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added post in the development area regarding this topic
Old 09-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
nofish

Quote:
In the meantime I found out, that both commands, "Do not auotomatically render subprojects" (42333) and "Prompt before automatic rerender of background subprojects" (42334) cause problems when creating subprojects.

When either of those options are set to on, the creation of the subproject seems to be incomplete: Instead of 4 (extensions rpp, rpp-bak, rpp-PROX, rpp-PROX.reapeaks) there are just 2 files created (the first two). This leads to (at least) two problems: The subprojects can not be opened from the "parent" project (by selecting the subproject track and hitting ctrl+alt+E) and the subprojects can not be saved or rendered (the mentioned error message, that the files can not be overwritten, is displayed).
Incidently I tested this a a few days ago and can confirm with "Do not auotomatically render subprojects" (42333) on. (Didn't test with the other option).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote