Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
OldNick
Human being with feelings

Default Sorry. Enough is enough.

This morning I started some work and now Reaper is back to its old tricks: jumping, flickering etc. I have the Project Settings Video set to 360 width. I have tried 480, 720 and even 240.

Then I discovered that performance can be improved by turning of FX one by one. This means that I have to edit sans certain FX, but colour correction etc can wait till just before the render.

BUT. now if I turn on the de-interlace effect, the interlace artefacts get _worse_...much worse.

I can't work with this. I never know what is going to happen next and I feel as if I am spending a lot of time fighting brush fires and not getting on with video work.

Finally, I have regretfully decided that Reaper may (may) work well with Audio. But for Video, it is too limited in its capabilities, a bit too loose when it comes to finding stuff, and for me, much too unpredictable and unstable. I cannot take any more thrashing about in circles.

I want to thank all you guys for all your help and I am sorry. I will still be trying very hard to work with reaper in Audio.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
karbomusic

I think you said you had Vegas? I ended up with Davinci Resolve and after a few tutorials, fell in love with it FWIW. Reaper's video is great to a point and as I mentioned in your other thread, very much "sweat equity based" and various processor adjustments and so on are just slow/kludgy to work with. There is nothing at all wrong with that, it just requires that sweat equity and my needs exceeded that. Then again, I never expected a DAW to fulfill that many video needs anyway - For example, Resolve falls flat in the audio dept worse than Reaper does with video, that's OK, I prefer having this in two tools dedicated per anyway.

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-11-2019 at 04:04 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
OldNick

Yeah I agree. The trouble is a I had it running sweet, then it started all over again and AFAIK I did nothing. I had moved on from the poor previewing and was working to get to the rest and wham.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
hopi

I certainly agree that reaper is not a #1 choice for video work... way too klunky and way too much trouble IMO for video...
but for doing the audio part of video it is just grand....

So I think about it like this... do the video part in Vegas and then do the audio parts in reaper...
Reaper should be good enough to play the video so you can match the audio to it... well mostly anyway

at the same time, what you say about having had it working well is curious.
Your system specs do seem a bit minimal for video work but still... IF it was working, I'd have to wonder what happened?

I'm on win7 pro 64 bit here and video works fine in reaper
I have the NVIDA GeForce GTX 560TI.... not a powerhouse but it drives two 30" Dell's as hi rez nicely via DVI slots...
I do have a lot more ram than you however 64 gb's
and the CPU is bigger i7 3930K at 3.20 ghz

I hope you can find and solve the problem.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Glennbo

I've always viewed REAPER's video capabilities mostly as providing a way to import reference quality video for the purpose of creating an audio soundtrack. I've used it to to create things like audio for promotional and training videos, but always used Vegas to merge the audio produced in REAPER with the full higher quality video.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #6
zookthespook

Sorry to hear that ..
I don't use video for reaper but i do video issues every now and then .hope it resolves
Zook
zookthespook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #7
airon

I'm having a great time with DaVinci Resolve. On Windows 7 you may need to rename or delete the file "OpenCL.dll" in the main program directory.

For small stuff though, like short bits of mix previews, I occasionally render video from Reaper. John from the Reaperblog is an experienced user when it comes to video editing in Reaper. He's on MacOS, but his tutorials are likely useful to you. You'll find his stuff on his website and his Youtube channel.

For more advanced video editing, it may be better to stick with Vegas if you have it and it's working well, or go for the free DaVinci Resolve.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:32 AM   #8
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
I'm having a great time with DaVinci Resolve. On Windows 7 you may need to rename or delete the file "OpenCL.dll" in the main program directory.
Why? I'm looking to get DaVinci and I'm on Win 7..
Old 07-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #9
1111Eugene
Banned

in 5.980+ versions, video and general tearing flickering GUi should be fixed
in a week or 2 maybe

you can try a beta now, it's not from that future, but some related features are optimized as the changelog says, I wasn't able to notice that spending yesterday 5 mins in a project...
1111Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
freddie

Every tried Camtasia?
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
Why? I'm looking to get DaVinci and I'm on Win 7..
Resolve and Windows don't get on. I don't know why. I've never been able to get it to work and I'm Win 10.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Resolve and Windows don't get on. I don't know why. I've never been able to get it to work and I'm Win 10.
It's perfectly fine on Windows 10 - however, it and many other dedicated video apps have little patience for lack of GPU memory - requires something like a 1050Ti/4GB minimum. I've used resolve for over a year fairly constantly on windows 10 up to 5.7k video with zero issues - that was not the case when I had a shitty video card with 1GB of GPU memory FWIW.

The only real caveat is GPU processing is restricted with the free version but it is still quite useable. As far as Windows 7 - it's antiquated, great OS, but antiquated and no guarantees it will run great there.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
SmajjL

So I don't work with video but I was thinking that to import vids/tubes and stuff, then I need or, use VLC.
Then maby stuff like that has changed/updated and maby for the worse, not REAPER?
And never forget that SmajjL sometimes forget the energy saving mode and he needs spanking, thx.
*me hides*
Old 07-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
airon

Resolve 16 beta 6 runs fine so far. I am using a GTX 1070 though with 8 GB VRAM, so that's likely a factor. You can turn GPU acceleration off.

Btw, there are plenty of tutorial videos for Resolve too. The keyboard shortcut setup cannot be used as efficiently as Reaper, but hey, it does have a source monitor, a built-in compositing/fx part and even a decent audio mixing bit. The audio editing is rather cumbersome. I don't know anyone from the audio world who seriously wants to use the stuff setup the way it is. It's beyond bad IMHO.

Video great. Audio usable if there's not much editing to be done.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
Btw, there are plenty of tutorial videos for Resolve too.
Agreed on all points... I didn't notice beta 6 was out, need to grab that. Reg: tutorial channels, some of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn5...WyonXQO8rH3vPw
https://www.youtube.com/user/CaseyFaris777
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4...wS_9b1JdRFYVgw
Old 07-12-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
OldNick

As I said guys, I will still look towards putting soundtracks to video in Reaper, and also writing music other than for video, but sadly, back to Vegas for Video work. I know my system is minimal for video work, but Vegas seems OK with that.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
strachupl

Maybe too much happened to video in Reaper but thing like video thumbnails did not which this option is pretty much needed for composers etc.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #18
analogexplosions

Quote:
Resolve 16 beta 6 runs fine so far. I am using a GTX 1070 though with 8 GB VRAM, so that's likely a factor. You can turn GPU acceleration off.

Btw, there are plenty of tutorial videos for Resolve too. The keyboard shortcut setup cannot be used as efficiently as Reaper, but hey, it does have a source monitor, a built-in compositing/fx part and even a decent audio mixing bit. The audio editing is rather cumbersome. I don't know anyone from the audio world who seriously wants to use the stuff setup the way it is. It's beyond bad IMHO.

Video great. Audio usable if there's not much editing to be done.
Its so interesting that Fairlight had such a good reputation! If the editing was ANYTHING like its implementation in Resolve, I have no idea how people used it. I tried to do a dialog edit in Resolve for funsies, but I couldn't make it. Its just too cumbersome.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #19
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
I know my system is minimal for video work, but Vegas seems OK with that.
I think we should not be astonished that Vegas is optimized for Video and Reaper is optimizes for audio and so either might hit appropriate performance limits on dedicated hardware at different levels of demand.

I understand that in Reaper video effects are done as (compiled on load EEL-) scripts and hence provided as source code and should be very flexible, but dedicated video-effects done in C- and Assembler- code and provided readily compiled by the supplier will be more efficient regarding CPU overhead.

-Michael (In my job I did a lot of animated graphics code for very weak processors: 30 years ago 8 Bit @ 4 MHz, later 32 bit @ 16 and 64 MHz . )

Last edited by mschnell; 07-13-2019 at 04:30 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:40 AM   #20
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I think we should not be astonished that Vegas is optimized for Video and Reaper is optimizes for audio and so either might hit appropriate performance limits on dedicated hardware at different levels of demand.

I understand that in Reaper video effects are done as (compiled on load EEL-) scripts and hence provided as source code and should be very flexible, but dedicated video-effects done in C- and Assembler- code and provided readily compiled by the supplied will be more efficient regarding CPU overhead.

-Michael (In my job I did a lot of animated graphics code for very weak processors: 30 years ago 8 Bit @ 4 MHz, later 32 bit @ 16 and 64 MHz . )
Guess I had my hopes up for Video editing when it worked for a while, after following the advice that I had from this forum. It was the flexibility of the whole shebang that attracted me, but it was unreliable.

Audio is less stressful, unless you have a bazillion tracks and FX.

Seems to me the that only way to work in Reaper for Video is to have ONLY the effect on that you are concentrating on, ignore the lack of the others, then work through the FX one at a time. It even looked to me that disabling FX chain FX may still give a hit on smoothness. So maybe you have to actually unload an effect completely.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 AM   #21
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by strachupl View Post
Maybe too much happened to video in Reaper but thing like video thumbnails did not which this option is pretty much needed for composers etc.
In Cakewalk, I usually use a really lo-res render of the movie, just to get sync. That would be what I would do here as well, I think.

Sorry if I misunderstand what you mean