Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
juhhie
Human being with feelings

Default What happened to the MIDI Editor? (FIXED)

After updating from 5.25 to 5.29 the MIDI Editor Piano Roll is just a mess. Namely when View > Show note names on notes and Show velocity numbers on notes are enabled. When zooming out it transforms into unreadable mess.

Used to work fine before. I'm at loss as to if there's some setting changed in the latest updates and I can't find it or is it a bug?

juhhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
jmorel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhhie View Post
After updating from 5.25 to 5.29 the MIDI Editor Piano Roll is just a mess. Namely when View > Show note names on notes and Show velocity numbers on notes are enabled. When zooming out it transforms into unreadable mess.

Used to work fine before. I'm at loss as to if there's some setting changed in the latest updates and I can't find it or is it a bug?

It's note values showing, very annoying. There must be a setting to turn it off but I didn't yet bother finding that. Hope the devs take note.

Zoom in so you can see better...
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #3
Zelos

I don't know how to fix this, but there's another bug with the note names. They don't get saved to my default project template for some reason.

I open the MIDI editor, activate velocity handles and note names, delete the track and save the default project template.
When I restart Reaper, the first new track won't have any note names, but it does have the velocity handles for some reason. And the weirdest part is that the note names will be there if you add a second track (or any number of additional tracks).

The MIDI Editor options seems really buggy right now.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhhie View Post
Show note names on notes and Show velocity numbers on notes are enabled. When zooming out
In previous versions the text was hidden if the notes got too small; in 5.28 or so this changed so that the text is clipped rather than being completely hidden. It seems not so helpful, so we will change it back to hide the text completely when zoomed out. This will be fixed for the next build, thanks for the report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorel33 View Post
There must be a setting to turn it off
MIDI editor menu, View/Piano roll notes/...
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
MikComposer

There are also new bugs with items and notes positions, and with snapping at larger zoom ins for both sequencer and midi editor.

Notes but: after cutting item it will show some notes starting before item start.

Item bug: it will show item starting earlier then positioned, not allowing to cut notes at edit cursor position

Possible zoom bug: in sequencer at larger zoom in, edit cursor is not snapping to grid.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
juhhie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
In previous versions the text was hidden if the notes got too small; in 5.28 or so this changed so that the text is clipped rather than being completely hidden. It seems not so helpful, so we will change it back to hide the text completely when zoomed out. This will be fixed for the next build, thanks for the report.
Ok, I noticed the bug still exists when using the action "Channel: Show all channels" and goes away when action "Channel: Show only channel xx" is enabled. By "bug" I mean the note names change into unreadable mess.

How to reproduce this behavior:

- Have note names enabled for example for drums.
- Let's assume your drum notes are on MIDI channel 10.
- Run action "Channel: Show only channel 01" (or any other channel than 10)
- Run action "Channel: Show all channels"

Result = garbled note names.

- Run action "Channel: Show only channel 10"

Result = garble disappears.

It's impossible to show more than 1 channel if you don't want to see unreadable garble. The garble makes marquee selecting when zoomed out very hit and miss.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Fixing, thanks for the report.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
juhhie

Thanks. I also noticed the note names do not change to display the correct file/names when changing the current displayed channel via "Action: Show only channel xx". This is with "File > Note names > Note name actions apply to the active channel only" ticked. It does only update when closing and reopening the MIDI Editor or via Alt+1/Alt+2.

It would be nice to see somewhere what note name file is assigned to what channel.

Thanks!