Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
msea
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Guitar with USB

Up 'till now I've been using an old 4-Track recorder as a preamp and recording my Telecaster thru the mic input jack on my laptop. Very low-tech, I know...

Now interested in purchasing a new practice amp, maybe one with USB recording capabilities.

My question: Will I experience the same latency issues with USB as I do with the mic input jack?

Does USB work more like midi (virtually no latency) or like a standard audio input (annoying latency, even with Asio4All at 128 samples... the lowest I can get without crackling)?

Thanks.
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Bjorn218

You will experience some latency that will have to find what works best for your rig. When you decide on your interface, choose one that the manufacturer maintains good driver support.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
msea

Thanks, makes sense.
msea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
Bjorn218

My suggestion is not to purchase the lowest price offering from any manufacture if wanting an USB interface.

I was trying to help my guitar instructor solve a latency problem for another of his students who had purchased a Focusrite Solo, then 2i2. The interface worked fine until he was trying to record a second track while listening to his guide track. The kid was using a fairly robust laptop.

He was able to return each one and once he upgraded to the 2i4 he no longer had problems. While this might have been an isolated incident, it made me wonder if low end entry level interfaces from any brand are good for capturing single track demo ideas, but not so hot for multi track type recording.

YMMV though, but my experience is buy the best interface you can afford and not look for a deal where you can get other items with the purchase. So if the interface you are looking at is $150, but the next one lower is on sale for $150 and includes a mic and headphones. Buy the $150 interface and worry about the mic and headphones later.
Bjorn218 is offline   Reply With Quote