Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Default Super 8 example project / Template / starting point HERE

As of Reaper 5.1 Cockos decided to drop in the rather fantastic

JS: Super8 MIDI-controller synchronized Looper...

However in true Reaper fashion we are only given a fishing rod, pointed in the general direction of the river, and expected to be a fly fisherman/woman in no time..

--- If you are a confident fisher already just grab the example project at the ** end of this post *** , load it up. look around.

it's self explanatory hopefully, and it is setup to show super8s main capabilities easily.

Also scroll down for a video where I describe and use the included template for real, so try that too.

further explanation of super 8 and this supplied template:

v brief overview of Super8's function if you don't know:

has 8 slots
each slot can record audio - not midi <<<
first slot you record audio into sets the slot length for all.
the audio loops.
you can trigger recording into slots via the GUI or (better) via midi.
you can switch from recording to playback, stop playback etc.
each slot by default has defined midi notes that trigger recording/playback etc.
each slot has its own input and output (audio channel) configured using reapers plugin routing pins.

if you like what you have got, you can add these audio loops at the tempo arrived as seperate files into the project timeline on tracks 1-8.

plus other stuff...

----

After exploring i found to really have fun with super8 you need to set things up with some routing so you can - for example:

-route audio from your input (mic/synth etc) to *any slot, quickly.
-ensure stray midi from a synth hitting super8 didn't cause slots to trigger.
-have the output from each slot go to its own track for mix convenience and that any 'add to project' audio goes in the right place and ends up sounding the same as when it was 'inside' super8.

-----------
what is this example project you attach ?
-----------

it has 4 example reasynths on 4 stereo input tracks, set to sound different so you can try things out and immediately get an idea of where to put vsti's or route mics/guitars etc..

'Input tracks IN A-D when they are ARMED route all their audio to the
IN ROUTER track (#15)

This track has a 'channel router Js' as an insert and the track outputs to SUPER8 (#9).

on the 'channel router JS' gui- changing the 'Output Channels' from 1+2 to 3+4 (this can be quick with mousewheel)
directs the Input audio to super8's own slots 1/2 to 3/4 etc. *

*edit 2019: the input is now set to 9/10 - leave that as is - its a fix.

to then RECORD Audio into a slot or slots of choice, we can send midi notes from a keyboard/foot button/virtual keyboard etc. into the Trigger Super8 (midi) track. (Track #10)

what midi note to send for each slot and its purpose is seen & adjusted on the SUPER8 GUI for each slot.

*** These values are adjusted with a * Right click-DRAG up/down * this is not obvious <<<Read it again!
--

Audio out from Super8 is routed to tracks 18-21 (stereo) which folder up into 'Super8 submix' so you can adjust levels a bit, add fx etc.
if you want seperate mono outs for more control.
its not tricky to chang once you are familiar with things.

--
when you hit 'add to project' the recorded loops are inserted into the first 8 tracks of the project - trks 1-8.

in this included project/template these tracks have master/send disabled and route their audio to the super8 sub-mix tracks 18-21.

This was done so that hitting 'add to project' leads to no changes in the sound that you've developed thus far within super8, and you can then choose what to do with the audio easily.

in use - its pretty easy (example is with virtual keyboard):

if virtual keyboard is inputing to the
'Trigger Super 8 track' #10 and any INput track is ARMED,
and the channel router Js is on screen:

hitting C3 (midi note 36) on virtual keyboard starts recording into Super8's slot 1 and and the armed IN track will route into that slot. hit C# to stop/loop.

to then route the same sound to e.g slot 7, mousewheel over the channel router output channel display so it reads '7+8' then hit D3 (midi note 50) on the VK.

It is easier than it reads i hope the project is self explanatory and a starting off point for even better/cleverer setups but this kind of gets things going.
*(there is also the video below which may help too)

Remember it can be saved as a project template or track template for your utter convenience.
ENJOY

Note: The midi input of the IN tracks should naturally be set to your midi keyboard if expecting instant results/tryouts with the reasynths. I forgot to set it to 'all midi inputs' sorry.

******EDIT 2019*********:
updated the project with a tweak to fix issue where the first two slots were always receiving audio from channels 1/2.

https://stash.reaper.fm/36655/TheSup...oject-2019.RPP

use THIS !^^^^^

enjoy and remember its a start point.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-21-2019 at 07:56 AM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
mccrabney

does anyone with experience have any comment on how super8 compares to mobius?
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Default little Video example

nobody likes text these days they want videos..! so here is one where i knock up something lame using the above template.

it acts as a mini guide to Super 8 anyway so may be of use to someone.

all sound is picked up through webcam so sucks a bit. i wasn't going to pony up for advanced features..

heres the 2019 working project

https://stash.reaper.fm/36655/TheSup...oject-2019.RPP

Last edited by BenK-msx; 07-03-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
memyselfandus

Extremely happy to see this plugin. thanks for the information.
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
EpicSounds

thanks Ben. You have a far better grasp on this than I so I am happy I skipped trying to make a demo of Super8.

Sharing this on the blog soon.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
BenK-msx

Cheers chaps. if think is of help, feel free to mention, just apologise to viewers first for the dodge vid!

I Found that just loading it onto a track doesn't give the full experience.
so it does need a bit of setup, hence the template. this is just a jumping off point - but gets around annoyances like unwanted midi triggering, keeps printed output in the right place under some control and allows choosing a slot to record into from any input, which is just convenient.

The Whole point of these things is speedy creative juiciness and you get that with super8 IMO.

As stated before, am a bit of a video screencast virgin but gives a decent idea of what you can do.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 12-07-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typos n the such
Old 12-09-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
manyserious

Big thanks, BenK, such a great little plugin and your vid is a big help.
manyserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
memyselfandus

any updates?
Old 12-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
any updates?
Well I just had some nice toast..

Oh you mean super8?

Think we must now rely on the js coders amongst us to tweak the code to add features, from what Justin has said previously.

Obvious nice things would be undo layers and Syncing to project loop before anything is recorded and the such.

Anything in particular you need?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
gestaltito

Hi,
Yesterday I played with this looper for the first time and found it enjoyable as hell and also higly intuitive; congratulations!

¿Any chance it sends MIDI clock to Reaper?
Cheers
gestaltito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
MW1

I, too, am really intrigued by this new tool. After playing with it a bit, I think this could really be something that could boost Reaper up another notch in terms of being a live performance tool. And it would really be a great thing if some awesome JS dev would continue workin' to make it even better .

But, is there any way to pan the loop tracks?
MW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
I, too, am really intrigued by this new tool. After playing with it a bit, I think this could really be something that could boost Reaper up another notch in terms of being a live performance tool. And it would really be a great thing if some awesome JS dev would continue workin' to make it even better .

But, is there any way to pan the loop tracks?
Each 'loop' output is determined by the output routing - see the pin outs so you can do whatever you want to it.
Perhaps if you have loaded the example template in this thread it's set so slot 1 is left and 2 is right of a stereo 'feed' - just as a starter example.. it's q easy to change tho. can't quite remember off hand, will update this post when i am more educacted.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
does anyone with experience have any comment on how super8 compares to mobius?
I used to use Mobius in REAPER for live looping and it's great.

I may be wrong but at first glance it looks like you'd have to sync up multiple instances of Super8 to do what I was doing live with Mobius.

But this will only work if you can use the 'atom' from one instance to be the sync for other instances. Is this possible with Super8?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
themixtape

Looks damn nice.

What I hate about Mobius is... it never seems to remember my MIDI pedal config... to control it. And it often behaves strangely in Reaper... drifts in and out of sync. Maybe I don't have it set up right.

Dig this free looper, though... nice job, Cockos.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #15
MW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Each 'loop' output is determined by the output routing - see the pin outs so you can do whatever you want to it.
Perhaps if you have loaded the example template in this thread it's set so slot 1 is left and 2 is right of a stereo 'feed' - just as a starter example.. it's q easy to change tho. can't quite remember off hand, will update this post when i am more educacted.
Ok thanks! I shall explore a bit more.
MW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #16
mrlimbic

I just had a go with Super8 but to be able to use it the way I want, I'd need multiple instances that are each locked to the atom started by the first one of them. Also be able to switch between which are active output-wise. Other wise it is difficult to build up arrangements with mutiple parts live. I find that a single looper gets boring quickly.

I used to do this with Mobius inside REAPER a few years ago but I just checked again and it seems that Mobius doesn't work well in REAPER anymore. REAPER now squashes the Mobius UI into a corner.

I just reported as a bug.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1715684
Old 08-26-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
MCCY

I used to use Mobius too, then did some action scripting & used Reapers arrangement for looping (which has not the perfect timing of course). I had the hope, to be able to use super8 for the first loop & then putting it into reapers arrangement. Just one Stereoloop-recording, than hitting again the same midi button and having it in the arrangement with tempo set accordingly. That would be perfect! No need for Mobius anymore then.

B.T.W. When you edit the preferences (in a file, forgot how it is called) for Mobius you can correct most of the visualisation-problems. Seems to be a windows7/8... problem, not a reaper problem!
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #18
MCCY

Wow, just opened Mobius again & the visuals seem to be OK finally again!!!!!
Maybe it was a reaper bug!!!!
MCCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #19
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCY View Post
Wow, just opened Mobius again & the visuals seem to be OK finally again!!!!!
Maybe it was a reaper bug!!!!
Mobius is still messed up for me inside reaper on Mac OS X. Standalone the UI is fine (but then I can't do the routing/FX I want to do in REAPER).

However, I have just discovered SooperLooper, which has pretty much the same functionality as Mobius. The UI seems to work in REAPER fine.

SooperLooper is Linux/OSX only though. I am going to practice with SL for a while.

http://essej.net/sooperlooper/
Old 11-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #20
memyselfandus

Not by computer at the moment. Can you set how many bars to record into the cells or blocks before recording audio?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #21
bobobo

super 8 looper ..tut by kenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSTeVlinAg
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #22
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
super 8 looper ..tut by kenny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSTeVlinAg
K's tut Is welcome of course ,tho a little more of a basic overview rather than describing a setup to be musically useful which I was aiming to help with this thread and video as by default S8 doesn't excite a new user!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
Fedor

Is there any way to make it learn midi CC instead of key numbers? I'm trying to make it work with Nanokontrol 2 and ReaLearn.

For now I think I'll set the Nanokontrol to output midi notes.
Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:42 AM   #24
calvina89

Default cannot record in modul 3-8

Hi guys!
I just tried this Super8 and have issue that I just can record in 2 modules. I already configure the routing to all the channel equally. Does anybody know, where I did wrong?
Thanks.
calvina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #25
bobobo

another small selfcontaining demo showing the super 8 looper
maybe it helps to understand how it works and how crucial the
routing is

http://www.bobobo.de/reaper/s8/supereighter.zip

and a video showing the demo (be patient while playing)

https://youtu.be/a6X-OjtgRjs

Last edited by bobobo; 11-18-2017 at 07:57 AM.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #26
politicalEconomist

Why does Super8 use Midi Notes as the controls? My Midi Foot Controller sends CC messages not notes (I would imagine this is what most people's controllers for this sort of looping would use.). Not only that but you cannot use Learn or ReaLearn to map a Midi CC. Why is there so much inconsistency in how Midi is used across Reaper?

Does anyone know how I can use glue, string and chewing gum to control Super8 with a Midi foot controller than sends CC messages?
politicalEconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #27
politicalEconomist

Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalEconomist View Post
Why does Super8 use Midi Notes as the controls? My Midi Foot Controller sends CC messages not notes (I would imagine this is what most people's controllers for this sort of looping would use.). Not only that but you cannot use Learn or ReaLearn to map a Midi CC. Why is there so much inconsistency in how Midi is used across Reaper?

Does anyone know how I can use glue, string and chewing gum to control Super8 with a Midi foot controller than sends CC messages?
You know what. Nevermind. I am simply exhausted from reading forums and programing to get basic functionality. I am going to buy a VST Looper or Playtime and be done with it,
politicalEconomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
BenK-msx

There are cc to note converter plugins - prob a js too, have a look around. Reaper is a configurable beast can be annoying but stick at it.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 PM   #29
toxizz

Default HOW TO MIDI MAP with JS super8

Hi Ben, I've read across multiple forums, reaper blog, etc and I think you mentionned in the initial post something that is not obvious, "read again" -------), with a right click drop down.

I can't believe there's no way inside the plugin to map the channel/notes you want to use to arm/play/stop either track ?

I mean, aside from opening up the JS editor and fiddle around manually (for us non-programmer guys)

Thanks
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:02 AM   #30
BenK-msx

Hey not sure I follow, but it's right-click DRAG up & down to adjust the values..

Tried that?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #31
toxizz

NIceeee!! OK!! I got it working now thats what I meant : Adjust the midi note value. Though is it possible to change the Channel at all? Say I want midi note 36 but channel 2 instead of 1 to rec on track 1 ?

Another question for your expertise : I'm desperetly looking to do that specific effect he does with his vocal around 4min45 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8CH0Z3L54

I would need the looper to record my voice, then pressing Play (with assigned midi map on a controller pad) and have the loop play only once (without quantize). Everytime I would press the pad, the loop gets retriggered thus using the looper kinda like an instrument.

---) Using two pads per track: one for Rec and one for Play/stop is possible but not ideal.
Uses more real estate on my controller (but I could live with that, specially if I can use channel 2)

Bigger problem is the "stutter" effect I have since Play/stop are the same button : While the recorded sample is playing, I have to quickly press my pad TWICE to go into stop mode and then Play mode back again.
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #32
BenK-msx

Default 1st post updated with tweaked project template

that resolves issue with channel routing into slots.

channel router js should now behave as intended when changing OUTPUT channels to 3/4 5/6 etc.