Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
puneettaneja
Human being with feelings

Default Waves License - USB or Cloud?

Just got some Waves Plugins. I use 2 computers for music. A desktop and a laptop. What's the recommended way to keep the license? Should I put it on a USB or Cloud?

With cloud, while the license is one central place, I will have to keep transferring from cloud to device every time depending on which computer I am using.

It seems like with USB it's like an iLok and I can move the USB between computers. What happens if I lose the USB device?
puneettaneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

You can choose which ones to put on USB and which ones are licensed to a single PC. That way, the ones you use on different machines are easily portable. That comes in handy when you want to run two systems with different Waves plugins at the same time. For example, you might be recording on one system and have your mixing plugins on that and you might have another you use as a VST instrument host which is plugged into your main system.

If you have them on USB and you lose the USB stick or it breaks, Waves allow one recovery of licenses per year. It is a painless process to recover them. I actually had to use that recently and was back up and running in minutes.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
If you have them on USB and you lose the USB stick or it breaks, Waves allow one recovery of licenses per year. It is a painless process to recover them. I actually had to use that recently and was back up and running in minutes.
This is great...until you do it more than once in a year. Maybe they have gotten more friendly, but a few years ago they were extremely unhelpful to me with this..... Just sayin'
Old 01-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
cassembler

I had success with the usb method between a home PC and a travelling laptop. I bought a small usb hub and an alligator case (tank) for the usb stick and a Steinberg key. (I don't think I needed an iLok at that point, but I'm guessing that would have worked...) Everything ran fine on both machines.

Not to be 'that guy,' but protect it like your car keys. Don't lose them
Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
allstar

I use the Cloud method. Too paranoid about USB sticks getting lost.

Yes there's the added hassle of transferring licences with their app, but it's pretty quick and painless. Teamviewer gets me round the problem of forgetting or not knowing I need to transfer licences before leaving the studio or home.

I do wish they'd allow two licences per purchase though.
allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
I do wish they'd allow two licences per purchase though.
I fully agree with you on that. Pretty much every other plugin developer I have purchased from allow at least two.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
dixo

Yes, I agree, they should at least allow two licences per purchase. That would still prevent most of the misuse while being much more friendly towards the people that paid money for these plugins.

I use a main computer in my studio, and have a laptop for work on the road or in other studios. I have been in the situation that I forgot to transfer my Waves licenses so many times now that I tend to avoid using the Waves plugins on my projects.
I do like the handful of Waves plugins that I bought, but their licensing policy keeps me from using them, and it definitely keeps me from buying more...

I can only hope that one day they will relax their policy a bit. But I am not holding my breath...

EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is more than a year old, my apologies for resurrecting it. However, what I said still holds true.

Last edited by dixo; 01-14-2019 at 09:21 AM.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
azslow3

I have thought Waves is the evil, till I have used iLok(ed) plug-in recently...

May be as a hardware is not so bad (apart from the price and apart from the schema to replace in case of problems, the fact you need a spare stick laying around and all related extra costs).
But I have decided to give iLok Cloud a try. Surprise, iLok Cloud WAS DOWN ONE DAY LONG. No explanation, no excuse, no announcement. Support team on holidays.

I do not know if Waves servers are more stable, but I guess it is a bad idea to hope everything will work 24/7. And when it fails, it will happened with worse possible timing...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
patriciocs

Quote:
AFAIK this is valin ONLY if you currently have a Waves Update Plan. If you have not renewed your WUP and lost the USB stick you are out of luck.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
ivansc

Curious: Has anyone successfully made a backup of their waves central USB stick?

Probably not, but...
Old 01-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
patriciocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Curious: Has anyone successfully made a backup of their waves central USB stick?

Probably not, but...
I tried, but you can't. I mean you can copy the stuffs of your USB stick but it will not work. I even tried with a software that do low level USB stick duplication, but it don't work.

Maybe someone has better luck making a backup of the USB stick with Waves licenses. That would be great as I have been out of WUP for years and I and always afraid of losing my stick.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Heart Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You can of course backup the Waves licenses on the USB stick. If at a later time you should by mistake delete the licenses from the USB stick, you can simply copy them back to the original location.

However, these licenses are tied to the hardware (internal serial number of the USB stick). They do not work if copied to any other USB stick.

This means that the backup licenses are useless if you lose the USB stick.

The only way to transfer Waves licenses from one USB stick to another is via the Waves Cloud.
Heart Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #13
karbomusic

I'd be willing to bet, with enough geekdom, that either A) a USB stick can be reprogrammed at a low level using a programmer or B) you could make your own USB sticks all with the same serial. It's possible that B is the only option as the original may be a write once memory location but I still bet A or B is possible.

When my next IoT/build digital stuff cycle rolls around, I'm going to look into this in my lab since I already likely have the tools/equipment to test it.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
winbe

This "only 1 license" totally kills me... and because of that, I tend not to use my Waves plugins too much, fearing that I would not be able to use them on my laptop.

That would be ok if you could connect to the cloud, click to "remove license from computer #1"... but you can't!!! You have to do it from computer #1 first!
And what if computer #1 crashes?
And what if is it simply off? Teamviewer won't help you there...

This is too bad, I really enjoy using Waves on my main computer...

If I understand well, the only way would be to put the license back to the cloud each time I power off my main computer, maybe this can be automated - but what if your internet connection is broken?

Plugging/unplugging a usb key with licenses on them is not a good idea to me...

That is another case where I hate to see that pir8tes who did not pay for the software don't have all these problems.
This is a general thing I see: now that I only use paid software, it is a real PITA each time I want to use them elsewhere... When I was "testing before buying" things were so easy...!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #15
patriciocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbe View Post
And what if computer #1 crashes?
Well, that is exactly what happened to me. HD failure on a PC with the Waves licenses in it. Luckily I have a valid WUP and Waves revalidated the licenses in my cloud account. Then I move it to a USB drive and I will never move it to a computer again.

Anyway, if I lost o damage my USB stick I am screwed as I don't have WUP and I am not going to pay for it just to recover a license I already pay for.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #16
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciocs View Post
AFAIK this is valin ONLY if you currently have a Waves Update Plan. If you have not renewed your WUP and lost the USB stick you are out of luck.
That is a strong claim. Please publish some reference.

I have not found any information on Waves site that WUP is required for recovery.

Even more, I have just moved one of my older license without WUP to USB stick. Disconnected the stick. And I COULD RECOVER it.
I connected the stick then and Waves has synchronized. And so accidentally recovers (forgot where the USB stick is and then found it) are not counted.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #17
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post

I have not found any information on Waves site that WUP is required for recovery.

Even more, I have just moved one of my older license without WUP to USB stick. Disconnected the stick. And I COULD RECOVER it.
I connected the stick then and Waves has synchronized. And so accidentally recovers (forgot where the USB stick is and then found it) are not counted.
I was also able to recover my licenses without needing a current WUP. Some of my plugins still had a current WUP, others did not. I was able to recover all of them.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #18
multibody

I think there might have been some confusion between the 1-year-wup-period and the fact that recovers are only allowed once a year.

The recover-function can also be used to have a license on two computers at the same time.

EDIT:
This text has beend deleted because it contained instructions for license violation.

Last edited by multibody; 01-18-2019 at 08:36 AM.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #19
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post
The recover-function can also be used to have a license on two computers at the same time.
Which is direct license violation and together with "duplicated sticks" should not be discussed in this forum.
That is not far away from publishing torrent links or the information which sticks support low level tools for cloning (but not yet banned by Waves).
Sorry, but lets do not fall into warez...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #20
multibody

Quote:
Which is direct license violation and together with "duplicated sticks" should not be discussed in this forum.
That is not far away from publishing torrent links or the information which sticks support low level tools for cloning (but not yet banned by Waves).
Sorry, but lets do not fall into warez...
You are right. I deleted the post to avoid problems for this forum.

The mentioned method is of course not allowed and I wouldn´t use these computers at the same time since that would be stealing.

But for people switching between computers regularly (e.g. desktop and laptop) I see it as legitimate defence against the hassle with license-transfer each time.

Wave's single activation politics are extremely restrictive, all my other plugins have from 2 to unlimited activations (as reaper) - under the condition that only I use them.

On another forum someone said that the waves support pointed him to the mentioned method. Of course I cannot prove this - but the fact that recoveries are possible to an unlimited amount and the one year recovery period is resetted each time after the usb stick is connected again, make it not look like waves tries hard to prevent it.

Last edited by multibody; 01-18-2019 at 08:35 AM.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #21
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post
You are right. This is of course not allowed and I wouldn´t use these computers at the same time since this would be stealing.

But for people switching between computers regularly (e.g. desktop and laptop) I see this as legitimate defence against the hassle with license-transfer each time.

Wave's single activation politics are extremely restrictive, all my other plugins have from 2 to unlimited activations (as reaper) - under the condition that only I use them.
Everyone can decide to use or not to use Waves. The conditions are explained strait and from what I know they are following them. Even in case of big troubles, there is still a big chance Waves support is helpful.

They are not iLok crimes, which invite you with "you do not need the dongle" without the warning you LOOSE the license in case anything in your computer breaks.

Quote:
On another forum someone said that the waves support pointed him to this possibility. Of course I cannot proof this - but the fact that recoveries are possible to an unlimited amount and the one year recovery period is resetted each time after the usb stick is connected again, make it not look like waves tries hard to prevent this.
Waves do not want threat you. There can be situation where you need the license but can not get it other way. F.e. you forgot the stick and have important work. I am sure that Waves has nothing against you temporary activate plug-ins in such case. But for permanent activation on 2 computers? I do not think they could suggest that.
To stay within agreements, that should be discussed with them directly on per case basis, explaining concrete reason and situation.

I had such problem with another company. They allow 2 activations but I had computers in 3 rooms, I just could not put all equipment to one place. I was ready to buy the second license, but support has pointed me to a trick how I can technically do that. And they wrote that for this product and my case it is fine. Sure, that does not mean that everyone is free to install 3 copies for any reason just because that was allowed in particular case, right?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #22
patriciocs

Quote:

I am sorry, you are right. There is no need to a WUP for license recover. I though I read somewhere in Waves documentation that you must have a valid WUP in order to recover your license. Sorry for posting wrong information.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 PM   #23
woogish

both are really cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #24
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I fully agree with you on that. Pretty much every other plugin developer I have purchased from allow at least two.
You would think that they would allow you to use the plugins on two machines, as a lot (including me) have a desktop and a laptop. Especially when you look at the prices of some of the more expensive plugins and packages - jesus you would want to be making some serious coin out of using them.

I think I have brought all I need for right now.

For me, I installed the licences to the local machine, not to keen on the USB idea, they get lost, damaged, die etc. The cloud option is not really an option for me, I am in a rural area and internet here is via satellite and there are times it can go down for hours. Not sure how it works, but I am guessing no internet means no plugins.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
For me, I installed the licences to the local machine, not to keen on the USB idea, they get lost, damaged, die etc. The cloud option is not really an option for me, I am in a rural area and internet here is via satellite and there are times it can go down for hours. Not sure how it works, but I am guessing no internet means no plugins.
Please note that the final conclusion for USB approach with Waves was:
in case of "lost, damaged, die etc." you need (any) internet connected computer for 5 minutes to recover (and a new USB stick). You do not need WUP, e-mail exchange, etc. The process is automatic.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #26
citizenkeith

Quote:
Please note that the final conclusion for USB approach with Waves was:
in case of "lost, damaged, die etc." you need (any) internet connected computer for 5 minutes to recover (and a new USB stick). You do not need WUP, e-mail exchange, etc. The process is automatic.

But you can only do that once per year, correct?
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #27
Dannii

Quote:
The Waves cloud is just a place to store plugins when they are not on either the local PC or a USB stick. You don't actually run them with the licenses still on the cloud. The license must be either on USB or the local HDD.

I used to use a USB stick for my licenses but have switched to keeping them on my studio PC. If I want to run any of them on a different computer, it's pretty simple to just transfer them to a USB stick temporarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
But you can only do that once per year, correct?
By default, yes. I'd imagine though that if you genuinely have a problem twice in the same year, Waves would be able to get you going by contacting them. They seem to be pretty good customer support wise from what I've read and heard from others who've needed it. I have contacted them a couple of times with other questions and they responded very quickly.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #28
Cranky Emu

Quote:
The Waves cloud is just a place to store plugins when they are not on either the local PC or a USB stick.
Ah okay, that's ok then. I have other software that has add-ons and if you choose the 'cloud' method, unless you are connected to the Internet you cannot use those add-ons. So I thought (wrongly) this is the way Waves would be as well.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #29
Dannii

Quote:
Ah okay, that's ok then. I have other software that has add-ons and if you choose the 'cloud' method, unless you are connected to the Internet you cannot use those add-ons. So I thought (wrongly) this is the way Waves would be as well.
I just realized I made a typo in the section of my post that you quoted. I should've said the cloud is a place to store plugin LICENSES, not the plugins themselves. The license files are quite small and transfer very fast.
Just for clarity, the licenses need to be on your local computer or an attached USB stick for the plugins to run.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #30
Cranky Emu

Quote:
I just realized I made a typo in the section of my post.
No problems, you had answered my question anyway - in thinking the plugins where stored on this cloud thingo.

So in reality there is not much point in storing the licences on a USB to use on another computer unless you have forked out and paid again for the plugins?

As I believe they only allow you to install the plugins onto one machine anyway.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #31
citizenkeith

Quote:
By default, yes. I'd imagine though that if you genuinely have a problem twice in the same year, Waves would be able to get you going by contacting them.
I'm sure that would be the case. Unfortunately, I can't count on that. Their policies are stated right there on their website, and they are too restrictive for my taste. I can't rely on the generosity of customer support to grant me more than one instance in a year, and don't want to be in a situation where a client is waiting an extra day for that generosity.

I've stopped using their plugins in my work... and if I really need to use something like, say, Vitamin, I'll render the track with FX just in case I can't use it on another machine during the course of the project.

It would be much easier if they simply allowed two computers per license without having to move licenses to the cloud or store them on a USB key.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #32
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
It would be much easier if they simply allowed two computers per license without having to move licenses to the cloud or store them on a USB key.
Following your logic, two computers per license gives no advantage. If you write that 1 license + 1 automatic reset is not sufficient (so your PC/USB stick is broken more then once per year), 1 license on 2 computer without auto-reset (as most companies which allow 2 computers do) is effectively worse. Once you have activated both instances and your primary PC is broken, you can NOT restore it automatically at all.

I have chosen Cakewalk and then REAPER because they can be recovered on updated hardware without Internet or dongles. So I also prefer complete freedom or at least more then 2-3 instances. And I will NEVER use iLock, they provide one (!) not instantly recoverable (till you have spare dongle and pay for "extra" service) and in some cases not recoverable at all (contacting them will not help) license.

But from all options with just 2 instances, Waves already provides most reliable solution.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #33
Dannii

Quote:
No problems, you had answered my question anyway - in thinking the plugins where stored on this cloud thingo.

So in reality there is not much point in storing the licences on a USB to use on another computer unless you have forked out and paid again for the plugins?

As I believe they only allow you to install the plugins onto one machine anyway.
You can install the plugins on as many computers as you want. They will only actually operate when a license is present.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #34
Cranky Emu

Quote:
You can install the plugins on as many computers as you want. They will only actually operate when a license is present.
So if I had the licences on a USB for example, I could install all the WAVES plugins I currently have on both desktop and laptop, and just swap the USB stick between them to make them work?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #35
Dannii

Quote:
So if I had the licences on a USB for example, I could install all the WAVES plugins I currently have on both desktop and laptop, and just swap the USB stick between them to make them work?
Yep. That is exactly what I was doing when I had my licenses on USB. At present though, I tend to use them almost always on my studio PC so I have the licenses on that system.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #36
citizenkeith

Quote:
Following your logic, two computers per license gives no advantage. If you write that 1 license + 1 automatic reset is not sufficient (so your PC/USB stick is broken more then once per year), 1 license on 2 computer without auto-reset (as most companies which allow 2 computers do) is effectively worse. Once you have activated both instances and your primary PC is broken, you can NOT restore it automatically at all.

I should have been clearer. Waves should offer a license for two computers, no USB or Waves Central. For example, plugins that I have purchased from Plugin Alliance are tied to two computers that I own. I can log in to my account on their website and add or remove a computer at any time. No Waves Central. No customer service requirements. Just easy authorization and de-authorization.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #37
BengtS

I have experienced twice on my windows 10 machine that I have lost the Waves Licenses while updating the OS. As the update is automatic, you cannot really control at what time it happens.

In both cases, Waves let me recover the licenses without any fuss. I was up and running in a few minutes.

Once, I lost also all iLok licenses. That was much more of a hassle, as I had to ask the plugin companies to give me new licenses. That took over a month to complete.

All that led to that I now have a USB stick with the Waves licenses and an iLok USB key for the rest.

Both are connected to a small USB hub to be easily taken from my main machine to another one I use for tracking.

I am considering getting a really large USB stick for the Waves licenses and use that space to store my work files. Has anybody had any experience doing this?

-BengtS
BengtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #38
mschnell

Are there really no alternatives for these annoying plugins ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #39
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Are there really no alternatives for these annoying plugins ?

-Michael
What some people allegedly do after purchasing the Waves license is to download a license free version form somewhere on the internets. This of course leads to some people apparently not purchasing said license... I would think Waves would want to do something to get relevant again and not just push customers away with copy protection gone wild (that also doesn't work) but what do I know.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #40
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
What some people allegedly do after purchasing the Waves license is to download a license free version form somewhere on the internets. This of course leads to some people apparently not purchasing said license... I would think Waves would want to do something to get relevant again and not just push customers away with copy protection gone wild (that also doesn't work) but what do I know.
The only Waves plugin I own a license for is the DBX160 and my solution was to quit using it and buy U-he's Presswerk which uses a simple keycode and then never causes any grief later down the line. Did the same thing with the one iLok plugin I had.

Don't support these assholes that make paying customers suffer the consequences that the pirates they are trying to stop will never experience.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote