Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #41
G-Sun
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Aren't there Apps for remote control recording?
I can't get TouchOSC to work..
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 AM   #42
airon

Quote:
The plus is that you now have a great fader. And why I say great is that many silimar units at 10x the price have terrible faders. I owned a 24 channel Pro Control (24k) and the fader in this feels just as good.
That is interesting. My Faderport is looking at me from the corner of my table. Maybe I should give it another try.

I've never used faders as fast as the ProControl's optical faders. It's entirely subjective on my part of course, but I do wonder if the Faderport will do better now. Hmm.

Quote:
The only con I've found is that REAPER seems to get confused when you move tracks.

For instance, if you grab track 10 and move it to slot 7, if you move the fader it won't control that track. It will still control what is in slot 10 now. So you just have to select another track and track 7 again to reset it.
Good to remember. Thanks.

I'm a big fan of riding sends with a fader. So far that's not possible with Reapers MCU plugin or Klinkes plugin. I'm currently eyeing Lemur via OSC for that. Not taken the time to do that yet.

Gotta recheck that custom Faderport plugin again. It has made strides I'm told.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #43
G-Sun

My Faderport is sending -inf vol messages on occasions.
That's not so nice.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #44
serr

Quote:
The only con I've found is that REAPER seems to get confused when you move tracks.

For instance, if you grab track 10 and move it to slot 7, if you move the fader it won't control that track. It will still control what is in slot 10 now. So you just have to select another track and track 7 again to reset it.
This must be some fallout from the "control surface" vs. "MIDI controller" thing.

I use this as a feature.

I can select a channel by tapping it on the iPad (remote desktop) and that "assigns" the Faderport to it as expected. Then I have many of the buttons on my UC-33 programmed to select certain tracks and the 8th fader is assigned to "currently selected track" in Reaper.

The Faderport doesn't "see" this selection. That means I can "load" a selection into the Faderport and then have a 2nd wildcard fader on the UC-33 for something else.

So... maybe don't ever fix this!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia
For instance, if you grab track 10 and move it to slot 7, if you move the fader it won't control that track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

So... maybe don't ever fix this!
Some of this might already controllable with the extended driver. There are some INI settings on whether it selects the last touched track etc. I forget what they are without referring back to my own thread LOL. There are some other cool settings such as the output button toggling between master fader and previous track, switch to master fader without actually selecting it or vice versa and so on, use the pan knob to scroll through tracks etc. Think of it as... You are adjusting Track 2 but want to quickly change the master volume.... Press output button, adjust master volume, press it again to get back to Track 2 and so on.

I'd check all those out because they can create some pretty slick workflows. Just remember that in the extended version almost every button/fader can be mapped run any action etc. so think of it as much more than a control surface.

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-19-2016 at 08:51 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #46
serr

Oh hey, could this be confusion over "last touched" vs. selected? And what's really going on is I stumbled across another mislabeled action? (ie. Mislabeled as "selected" when it should be labeled "last touched".) I've stumbled across a few of those before.

If that theory is correct, then the control surface function must be assigning the Faderport fader to "last touched" and not "selected".
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #47
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Oh hey, could this be confusion over "last touched" vs. selected? And what's really going on is I stumbled across another mislabeled action? (ie. Mislabeled as "selected" when it should be labeled "last touched".) I've stumbled across a few of those before.
Might be actually but to be fair, I'd have to go back and look at the code to refresh myself since I haven't touched it since the OP took the reigns. Just to be clear I'm referring to INI settings in the faderportxt INI file where you can tell it to select or not select last touched fader etc. Aka these...

Code:
MCP_VIEW=1 (default=1, enabled, Autoscroll works)
SHIFT_LATCH=1 (default=1, enabled, shift latch works)
AUTO_SCROLL=1 (view will scroll if track is hidden)
SELECT_IS_TOUCHED=1 (when creating a new track, make the new track also the 'last touched track')
PAN_SCROLLS_TRACKS=1 (Use the pan knob to scroll through tracks)
FADER_CONTROLS_FX=1 (Allows you to change FX params with the fader)
PAN_TOUCH_RESET_TIME=250  (Sets how long it will take for pan to reset after being touched)
PAN_SCROLL_FADER_TIME=250 (If pan scrolls tracks is active, Sets the delay for how long the fader updates to the new track's fader location)
PAN_MIN_TURNS=1 (The number of turns to actually get one turn event)
PAN_RESOLUTION=128 (The number of turn events to pan from L to R)
SELECT_TOUCHED_PARAM=1(Clicking an FX param in fx mode assigns the fader)

ENABLE_INTRO=1 (Allows a little intro light show of a text string)
INTRO_STRING=FPXT (The text string that the faderport lights will display)

;pan actions
;0=pan, 1=scroll tracks, 2=custom actions
PAN_MODE=1  (Sets the action for turning the pan knob)
PAN_MODE_SHIFT=0 (Sets the action for turning the pan knob while shift is pressed)
ACTION_PAN_LEFT=40104 
ACTION_PAN_RIGHT=40105
ACTION_PAN_LEFT_SHIFT=41666
ACTION_PAN_RIGHT_SHIFT=41667

ACTION_PUNCH=40222 (set start point)
ACTION_PUNCH_SHIFT=40172 (Go to previous marker/project start)
ACTION_USER=40157 (insert marker at current position)
ACTION_USER_SHIFT=40173 (Go to next marker/project end) 
ACTION_LOOP=1068 (toggle repeat)
ACTION_LOOP_SHIFT=40915 (set end point)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH=40073 (play/pause)
ACTION_FOOTSWITCH_SHIFT=1013(record)
ACTION_MIX=40078 (toggle mixer visible)
ACTION_MIX_SHIFT=41077	(toggle show all floating windows except mixer)
ACTION_PROJECT=40861 (go to next project tab - cycle)
ACTION_PROJECT_SHIFT=40295 (zoom out project)
ACTION_TRANS=40259 (toggle transport visible)
ACTION_TRANS_SHIFT=1134 (tap tempo)
Obviously any setting above that is an action ID, you can just change it to run any action you wish. The defaults are just ones we chose as a starting point.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #48
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Do you have undo and time/beat? App? or Browser?
I don't have those on my app, but I don't know if they are possible or not.

I just loop record and do multiple takes, and then go to the computer and take the one I liked.

I never had a reason to change the timing of a project from the app, I only really use it to track when I'm in my vocals booth. It might be able to do that, idk.

It's I believe, TouchOSC. I know it has OSC icon. I found a reaper template someone made somewhere, and modified it slightly for my specific uses, so I'm not sure exactly what it's limitations are.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #49
easyrider

Can I use a Faderport and say a Novation Nocturn at the same time?

I would want something to control my plugins...
Old 01-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #50
Omicron9

Is anyone using the new single-channel Faderport in Reaper on Windows10? If so, how do the transport controls work for you? Any setup problems?

TIA,
Old 01-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
mhuss

I have the new one. It's a little annoying to have to hold down the Next key when powering it on to keep it from starting in Studio One mode, but otherwise it's a nice unit, looks clean and seems to be a solid build. The motorized fader is a little noisy, making little grunts to move the slider as you select tracks.

The fader and play/record/prev/next work fine out of the box. Also a few others like Solo and Mute. I haven't invested the time to make an exhaustive list. The Shift key selections are a little funky, haven't sorted that out yet. (I mainly use it for transport and fader.)

I REALLY wish Prev and Next worked to move from track to track, I still have to move back and forth between mouse and controller all the time.
mhuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:43 AM   #52
jackmilas

How well is the Faderport V2 working with Reaper?
Is it the same as V1 in terms of following track selection on screen?
I want one fader that will follow whatever track I select with the mouse.
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #53
mhuss

That part works: you click/highlight a track with the mouse, and the controller focus switches to that track.
mhuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #54
TonE

Quote:
I'm looking at a 27" screen for REAPER which shows everything we wish a controller could hope to show.
Screenshot?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:19 PM   #55
TonE

Best faderport is somehow, using two qwerty keys, one does 1dB up, another 1dB down, for continuous adjustments this helps already a lot. Just take those keys which make most sense to you. You could have even two variants, one for left hand, another for right hand. Or even different precision keys, again up/down. First quick adjustment with 1dB, need more precision, use the other keys. You can do all this with mouseovering, directly from arrange, no mixer, no tcp, just arrange is enough. Right hand on mouse, never clicking anything, just mouseovering, left hand hitting those two keys. Faderport could replace this precision keys, and only those, otherwise you need to select the track first, somehow, and this is where problems start.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #56
jackmilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Best faderport is somehow, using two qwerty keys, one does 1dB up, another 1dB down, for continuous adjustments this helps already a lot. Just take those keys which make most sense to you. You could have even two variants, one for left hand, another for right hand. Or even different precision keys, again up/down. First quick adjustment with 1dB, need more precision, use the other keys. You can do all this with mouseovering, directly from arrange, no mixer, no tcp, just arrange is enough. Right hand on mouse, never clicking anything, just mouseovering, left hand hitting those two keys. Faderport could replace this precision keys, and only those, otherwise you need to select the track first, somehow, and this is where problems start.
How this could be achieved?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #57
TonE

Custom: VOLUME UP 1dB
SWS/BR: Focus arrange
Track: Select track under mouse
Script: me2beats_Nudge selected tracks volume up by 1 db.lua

Custom: VOLUME DOWN 1 dB
Script: me2beats_Nudge selected tracks volume down by 1 db.lua
Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #58
jackmilas

Quote:

Thanks! This works great!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #59
kirk1701

My biggest issue with Faderport (and I've had it since it was released), is that you're meant to be able to select a block of tracks at once. It's never done that for me, even with the Reaper-specific driver. Not a big deal, I can hold ctrl and click.

I noticed last night solo and mute weren't working for me. They always have up to now. I like that function. Click on track, press mute or solo. It's handy. But they weren't working last night. I may have to restart the system and try again.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #60
jackmilas

Quote:

It's working great for adjusting static levels, but it doesn't work well with the automation. It won't write level changes to a volume envelope and it will not allow to move the fader on tracks were some automation is already written.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #61
TonE

For automation rides you should use a hardware fader/knob. Indeed I am using it only for static adjustments, so the levels are fitting at max level. If I want to add volume automations, e.g. for simple sidechaining, I can add another volume jsfx and automate that. The static loudness adjustment I have always this way, automations can do what they should do, always, both independently. Are you using 5dB rides? What is the secret behind the value 5dB? Is this kind of a standard among professionals?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #62
jackmilas

Quote:
For automation rides you should use a hardware fader/knob. Indeed I am using it only for static adjustments, so the levels are fitting at max level. If I want to add volume automations, e.g. for simple sidechaining, I can add another volume jsfx and automate that. The static loudness adjustment I have always this way, automations can do what they should do, always, both independently. Are you using 5dB rides? What is the secret behind the value 5dB? Is this kind of a standard among professionals?
Yes, the company's name refers to 5dB fader automation rides!

Btw - I got the Fader port V1 and it looks like it's going to stay.
I have found that Reaper is more efficient than my Pro Tools HD with D-Command console. For some it looks like I'm downgrading. In truth it's a fantastic upgrade.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 AM   #63
dimovich

Got a Faderport Classic yesterday. Using Reaper for Linux. Was easy adding it in Control Surfaces (as it's already in device list).

Didn't manage to enable it in MIDI Devices... I can see it in the list, but when I try enabling I get an "Error opening devices...".

The default controls work fine. But without adding it in MIDI devices seems like it won't be possible to reassign the key actions.
dimovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #64
grinder

I updated the firmware in my Faderport classic (the original one).
and installed the "Reaper" driver thingy.
I only need to use the Faderport to activate record from my recording room to the mixing room computer.
I had a couple of hiccups at the start. When I turn all my gear on and start using it it does not usually function as it should right at the start but after two or three goes it warms into it's function.
Windows 7 totally updated.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #65
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimovich View Post
Got a Faderport Classic yesterday. Using Reaper for Linux. Was easy adding it in Control Surfaces (as it's already in device list).

Didn't manage to enable it in MIDI Devices... I can see it in the list, but when I try enabling I get an "Error opening devices...".

The default controls work fine. But without adding it in MIDI devices seems like it won't be possible to reassign the key actions.
Are you using Catia? Start Catia, hit F5, seeing your device there, I usually route any of my devices from there to one of the 8 Midi-Through, showing in Catia as 'midi/capture_1..8', and this would go to Reaper.

You need to:
-install Midi-Through devices
PHP Code:
sudo modprobe snd-virmidi
sudo modprobe snd
-virmidi midi_devs=
-activate Midi-Through ports in Reaper
-route your hardware to the used Midi-Through ports

The good side of this method:
You could have 100 devices, no problem, just route them to the right Midi-Through port, for Reaper they would be same, in terms of some events arriving. But you, the user would have different hardware components.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #66
dimovich

Thank you very much for your advice!

Quote:
Are you using Catia? Start Catia, hit F5, seeing your device there, I usually route any of my devices from there to one of the 8 Midi-Through, showing in Catia as 'midi/capture_1..8', and this would go to Reaper.

You need to:
-install Midi-Through devices
PHP Code:
sudo modprobe snd-virmidi
sudo modprobe snd
-virmidi midi_devs=
-activate Midi-Through ports in Reaper
-route your hardware to the used Midi-Through ports

The good side of this method:
You could have 100 devices, no problem, just route them to the right Midi-Through port, for Reaper they would be same, in terms of some events arriving. But you, the user would have different hardware components.
dimovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #67
Jimmy James

Does the Faderport work in real time? Does it have a delay when moving it? I have a nektar midi keyboard. It has sliders on it I can use to control volume faders. But there is like a slap back delay of the volume control.

Does the Faderport do this as well?
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #68
Beastmode Beats

The X-Touch mini is so much better! And the X-Touch 1
Beastmode Beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #69
jackmilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode Beats View Post
The X-Touch mini is so much better! And the X-Touch 1
I tried X Touche One 2 months ago.
It was buggy (fader would go to -11dB all the time) and it didn't follow track selection.
Has it been sorted?