Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Soundcard with USB (and) OPTICAL ins, (and) USB out

I have a Tascam US1800(USB out) and a Focusrite Octopre(TOSlink optical outs). I have routed 4 of the pre channels into the 4 line in's on the US1800. I have 10 other analog inputs on the Tascam. Therefore the Tascam is taking up to 14 mics at once for tracking in Reaper via USB. On the OctoPre, there are 4 inputs going unused. This, of course, is a problem.

I want to utilize every input I have available. In Reaper, I can assign tracks to each of my 16 ins on the US1800 (2 of which are digital and irrelevant for this situation). Remember that 4 of these inputs are coming from the OctoPre. I need to use the other 4 inputs on my OctoPre. Thus my question, in a nutshell: Is there a soundcard that accepts both dual ADAT/SMUX inputs (4 channels @ 96kHz) and USB (for the 14 tascam tracks)? Of course, it must combine the two devices within Reaper, so that Reaper thinks that it is one soundcard (giving me 20 manageable inputs: 2 digital ins, 18 mic ins).

Attached is a diagram of my current setup (note the unused outputs on OctoPre - this is what I need to be able to assign in Reaper along with the tascam tracks)
and
diagram of the setup that is in my mind (note potential variations: 4 line ins could be used instead of ADAT if absolutely necessary.

note: I am not really interested in SPDIF for this. I have to be able to manipulate what was recorded for EACH mic.

Also just to make sure (I have never recorded using optical outs...)I can record 4 tracks on the OctoPre and route it via optical thru a single cable just like USB and it appears in the device menu in Reaper just as if it were 4 separate cables...correct?....in other words, I could have two guitar amp mic'd and two vocalists mic'd and mix each channel independently of one another?

Thanks (and sorry for the length of writing)

Last edited by 512; 12-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.
512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
metal_priest

the simplest way to using that setup is replace the US1800 with a soundcard with ADAT I/O.
It's absurd to use 3 interfaces!

Do you have firewire input in your computer? Or only USB?
you can take a look to motu hybrid interfaces, so you can have both firewire and usb.
for example Motu 896 Hybrid (8 analog input+16 digital channel-->2 adat I/O)

With ADAT you can have 8 I/O channels for each cable, or 4 if you work at 96k so your setup will be more easier than the one you thought:

8 (or 4) input octopre---->adat out
adat it--->new audio interface (es. motu)

so you will have 8 (or 4) digital channels from octopre, and all the analog input of the new interface and the second adat channel free (you can think to buy another octopre to use it with it), free to use them as you prefer!

In this way, with one audio interface you will have the biggest numer of channels
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #3

My PC is only USB(2) compatible, no FireWire in.

Ok I looked into that MOTU 896 and it could do what I want it to. I like the fact that it's expandable (unlike US1800). The thing I dont like about the MOTU 896 is that I feel like I would be paying for CueMix which I don't need...I'll just have to look around at other MOTU units. This one's definitely a contender though.

I wonder if there is any way to insert an ADAT-compatible soundcard into the US1800? I found this ( http://tascam.com/product/if-ad-dm/ ) and if there was one compatible with US1800 that would be perfect.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
metal_priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512 View Post
My PC is only USB(2) compatible, no FireWire in.

Ok I looked into that MOTU 896 and it could do what I want it to. I like the fact that it's expandable (unlike US1800). The thing I dont like about the MOTU 896 is that I feel like I would be paying for CueMix which I don't need...I'll just have to look around at other MOTU units. This one's definitely a contender though.

I wonder if there is any way to insert an ADAT-compatible soundcard into the US1800? I found this ( http://tascam.com/product/if-ad-dm/ ) and if there was one compatible with US1800 that would be perfect.
that tascam card is for mixers, not for audio interfaces.
The only audio interface i know with switchable cards for inputs and outputs it's the SaDIE, and it costs really too much!

you can take a look to focusrite Scarlett 18i6, it doesnt have the same number of adat i/o, but maybe it could be an option instead of motu.
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

The MOTU 828 would be nice if it had 8 additional quality pres (I like the fact that it's 1U).

However, the Steinberg UR824 looks like a good option...2 banks of ADAT i/o, USB2, 1U, quality pres and corresponding line outs, and phantom power switchable for 2 mics at a time instead of the usual 4. I like what I see in the Steinberg. I don't have the money for it at the time but (in case anybody else has this issue later) it definitely seems worth looking in to.

In fact, this is probably what I'll do when I decide it's time to upgrade.